Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Running new speaker wire to the doors

Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running new speaker wire to the doors

I'm putting some Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's in the doors and need to run some speaker wire to them from the amp in the trunk. How are you guys getting from the door to inside the cabin ? The rubber hose going inbetween looks stuffed already and even if it wasn't cutting into it without nicking something else would be very difficult.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Have you thought about tapping into the wiring behind the radio for the speakers? Just a thought. If you must run new wire, it's not that easy, as with any vehicle. The easiest is to make little slits on both sides of where the boots enter the door and body, then run the wire through those slits. If you must conseal them, wrap the wire and boot with electrical tape.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dookie
Have you thought about tapping into the wiring behind the radio for the speakers? Just a thought. If you must run new wire, it's not that easy, as with any vehicle. The easiest is to make little slits on both sides of where the boots enter the door and body, then run the wire through those slits. If you must conseal them, wrap the wire and boot with electrical tape.
yeah I thought of that, the stock wiring just looked awfull puny for 100W speakers
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Whats the RMS power rating of your amp? If you run new wire to the stock speaker wiring behind the radio, the actual length of the stock wiring you will be using is not that long, and should be okay with a little boost in power. I did this in my Accord with no problems. Had 75 watts RMS running through them.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dookie
Whats the RMS power rating of your amp? If you run new wire to the stock speaker wiring behind the radio, the actual length of the stock wiring you will be using is not that long, and should be okay with a little boost in power. I did this in my Accord with no problems. Had 75 watts RMS running through them.
111W RMS per channel
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

I dont mean to hijack your thread but when does it become too much power to tap into the stock wires?
Old Apr 3, 2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by camaro379ss
I dont mean to hijack your thread but when does it become too much power to tap into the stock wires?
Its not a hi-jack, its a valid question for my senerio too, how much juice can you put through the stock speaker wires ?
Old Apr 3, 2005, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well Evo rs front rubber boot was not nearly as stuffed but I did managed to get new speaker wire through them.

I got some thick wires similar to coat hangers and threaded slowly through from cabin to door. Guide the wires with your left hand while you push it w/ your right.

also, pull the boots out - they'll pop out the holes then it's much easier to guide the wires and pop them back in!

make you you tie the speaker wire to the end of wire and push and pull like a mother@##$#$@#...

seriously, a lot of patience and effort

GL...
Old Apr 3, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by camaro379ss
I 'd say when you start upgrading your speakers to say component speaker qalities or you're audiophile and don't care for anything less...
Old Apr 3, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

For instance... I'll be running a pair of 12 guage wires for my midwoofers to my doors. It depends on what you're running for, I've run on stock, front to back, for years before, but ifyou want the best sound you can get, upgrade all the wires. it's a small improvement, but your system's only as good as the weakest link.

most stock wiring is #16 AWG, which is good to about 10 amps, and @ 4 ohms, 10 amps, you're looking at 400 watts (@ 4 ohms, @ 2 0hms, you're looking @ 200 watts) That said, I'd run maybe 125 RMS over the stock wires at most.

Honestly, for the average speaker, 50-75 RMS is tons. but the extra power goes a long way for the sound quality, because you have lots of headroom
Old Apr 5, 2005, 08:54 PM

why don't you detach the rubber boot, squish it up and run the wires that way? That's how I did my stuff.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

i detached the rubber boot to, but it was a ***** to get back on. I would run all new wire. If your going to do it right, might as well do it the first time. I ran 12 gauge wire.
If you are running your amp wire from the bat, may i suggest going through the fire wall. If you are in front of the car with the hood up, to your left you will see a rubber hose, fairly large. Puncture that and slide the wire through and then close it up with some silicone. It leads out right behind radio on the floor and then you can run it up the middle to your trunk.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hypo74
i detached the rubber boot to, but it was a ***** to get back on. I would run all new wire. If your going to do it right, might as well do it the first time. I ran 12 gauge wire.
If you are running your amp wire from the bat, may i suggest going through the fire wall. If you are in front of the car with the hood up, to your left you will see a rubber hose, fairly large. Puncture that and slide the wire through and then close it up with some silicone. It leads out right behind radio on the floor and then you can run it up the middle to your trunk.

thanks for the tip...so this is on the passenger side right????