Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Is Dual Audio any good?

Old Jun 6, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sassmaster
dood, you're thinking visonik, no volfenhaug
lol... wow, i knew something was wrong with my post. i was either A. really high or B. really tired when i posted that... sorry for the mix up, folks
Old Jun 6, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

what do you all think about Diamond speakers/subs?
Old Jun 6, 2005, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Dynex is Best Buy's brand for all crap... so says my buddy who works there.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigP436
what do you all think about Diamond speakers/subs?
i'm running Diamond Audio components in my Lan right now and i love them!

i've heard good things about their subs as well.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 09:27 PM

I never heard of dual until couple weeks ago. People said, "They are crap!"
Old Jun 6, 2005, 09:29 PM

I just bought a Pioneer Video in dash player. It is sweet!! I'm lovin it!!
Old Jun 7, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

I am late to this thread but, you should consider your main objective when choosing audio coomponents for your car! Do you want cheap and simple for low volume windows closed listening and quality is not a big deal ( that is what most comercial car audio places like best but sell) or do you want heavt duty professional high power and quality sound? If this si what you want then choose components who's specs indicate high sonic perfomance and quality S/N ratios DACs, RMS wattage, voltage, frequency responce curves, THD are specs to pay close attention to! Dont just focus on brand names as good specs in any brand will perform and you will notice that some brands only provide LOW SPEC components! Remember that wiring and tuning of a system account for 50% of the sound quality! I have BOSS emblems on my car cause I want people to know that boss does make awasome amps! It is all in the specs!

Last edited by ExcessLancer; Jun 7, 2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not one of those people that like to bump loud *** hip hop. Hoping some people will look at me

I just wanted to know if the Dual Auio head unit is better then stock I'm not talking about the subs or amps, just the head unit.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

i'm sorry but dual is not a best buy brand... it's made by sharp
Old Jun 7, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

You asked about the POLK/MOMO brand. I currently run the 625 series all around and the 12in sub w/enclosure. Made a big difference once I turned off the built in Alpine 9847 amp and hooked up a 4 channel amp for the 625 and another amp for the sub. The 9847 has built in two-way crossover plus three RCA outs.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

OK! first of all it does not matter what type of music you play... hiphop classical what ever, You have to focus on the specs of the DUAL head unit you want to buy! If the DUAL head unit you wan to buy has good specs then get it and check online reviews for build quality to see if there are breakage issues!

People will look at you anyway even if you dont play hip hop! If your system sounds good and people can hear it they will look at you because you are expresing your taste in high quality audio and it attaracts attenetion because it is rare that you hear a car kof any price with a sterio that sounds good or great!

I am an auiophile and need to have my music sounding a certain way and I do it for me not for the people around me! I have BOSS decals because I am tired of the "hey dude what amps you runnin???" questions while I am trying to listem to my music! And yes I do play many different types of music, including rap, loud and clear and keeping with american clutural norms certain groups of people get mad when they hear music associated with other groups you know how it is !!! It is funny when I pull up on a car playing loud rap and i have my fleetwood mac playing ! Thair faces are like "hold on that music sounds good and has bass?!?!!?" haha!
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:18 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You all have ****ty taste in audio equipment. The only respectable name i heard being thrown in this thread is Diamond Audio, otherwise the rest are bottom of the line "maximum boom" ****ty sounding crap.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

excesslancer: specs don't mean much, and THD doesn't mean anything anymore. honestly, you can't hear any less than 1% THD, and even cheap amps are running less than half that anymore. The main problem with going by specs is thata company can claim whatever they want as the specs for a product, and never, ever have to back it up in the real world.

The only spec I look for in an amp is the power rating, because the brands I look at are in the top 1% of the car audio world (brax, sinfoni, tru Technology, DLS, Arc, Audison, etc) so the rest of the specs are pretty much useless at that point.

The only specs worth looking at in a sub are the coil impedance, the RMS power handling, and the coil inductance (expressed in mH) inductance is important because that is what causes and limits your impedance rise in any given box. Treo engineering subs are very loud, because they keep the inductance down, and other subs with the same amount of power aren't as loud, because they just care about handling power. the only other consideration I make is the stiffness of the suspension on the subwoofer.

as far as speakers go, any speaker can sound great as long as the installer has some clue, and didn't just slap the drivers into the stock locations.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Sassmaster, I see you have your top shelf brands all in a row there! You are my favorite type of car adio enthusiast!!! Most people have JL audio because they saw it on pimp my ride etc.. BUT you use rare expensive exotice brands! Unfortunately most car audio fans like you dont cruise much you go to elete SQ competitions and such and that is great but boring! On the few ocasions i have been lucky enough to roll up on a car with top brand decals on it , the drivers have gotten so scared and embarassed, why ??? Because they spent 30,000 plus on their system and then my ****y BOSS amps trample them sonicaly! Yes they may have very high quality sound but most times it is at low volumes which get no respect in the street. What upsets them is they cant say "oh that guy just has maximum boom crappy sound" when they hear my system and worse yet a boss logo is staring them in their face!! ha!

I feel sory for many people who just want good sound but cant get it because mobile audio is all gimicks , bells and whistles! oh and TV screens! and rims! and fibre glass in flourecent green and feathers etc!

Any lancer owner is welcome to come to ATL and hear me at thursday night varcity meet up north avenue! this is a meet up for ricers and such but I provide the music! challengers are welcome, and please have more than 2 bass notes when you come!
Old Jun 7, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

I started looking into smaller systems, but as my tastes progressed, so did my budget hehe. honestly, I've spent less on my system than anyone I know who runs JL, but I've spent a lot more time installing it. currently I've been experimenting with tweeter locations for about 2 weeks, and I'm still not sure where they'll end up. my system can slam, but that's not the point of it (I'm only running 600 RMS to 1 12" woofer in 1.2 cubes sealed, but it can rock if I want it to) more people notice my mids playing than anything else (seems I didn't deaden the outer door skins enough, and I'm NOT ripping the sheet metal and 2 layers of deadening off just so they can't hear my music) if you get a chance, listen to track 11 on the Iasca disc, on a good system it is breathtaking.

The amp I use is 1600 canadian, retail. about $1400 US and it runs the whole system, my sub is about 600 US retail, and my componants are approximately 800 US retail, not that expensive really, but well installed, and they're beginning to sound great. the next couple of months will make it sound awesome.

I can't make it to atlanta, but maybe you can come to Canada sometime.

I'm sure your boss amps sound great (there are many who argue that an amp is an amp is an amp, and I tend to agree, since there's a 1 million dollar prize out there for anyone who can distinguish their amp from any other amp 20 times out of 20, and no one has ever claimed it)

my system is usually loud enough that people 3-4 lanes away look at my car wondering why they're hearing classical music that loud from someone my age in a sport compact, unfortunately it's hard to hear the sub from outside the car. though today I had my first old person yell at me because it was too loud MUHAHAHAHA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Dual Audio any good?