Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

x-over freq. ect.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2006, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
x-over freq. ect.

I have finished installing my sub and amp and wanted to know the best x over frequencies, slope, and lever for my stock speakers and subwoofer. I am using an alpine 9855 HU that I can change the settings for all of the above. What will sound best? For the sub I am using a Diamond Audio D610 dual 4 ohm coils running at 2ohms about 400 watts from a JL E1400D and stock speakers powered by the head unit for the time being. I think I have the sub cutoff at 100hz and the same for the stockers as well.. I'm not totally sure what would work best for the slope,level, and freq. Any help is appriciated. Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an alpine 9826. i dont know how much you are familiar with this deck, but with the bass engine, hit the Center F button until it says treble. then use the track select buttons to choose the frequency (10, 12.5, 17, etc.) these are khz btw. its not actually a crossover, but whichever freq you choose, it will enhance or boost the sound at that freqency. this is how it works on mine with the bass engine. you have the bass engine pro. i cant imagine that they are too different.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

Actually I am referring to something different. The 9855 has a ton of adjustability. I have a parabolic EQ and a graphic EQ, I don't think it uses bass engine pro but it has media expander which sounds similar. I was referring to the X-over which also has two modes and can be very fine tuned for each frequency with slope and level. Just wondering what would be good cutoff points for the stock speaks and my sub. I think I have it at 100hz right now with alittle overlap. I'm finally gotten used to the controls and settings after having it for like 6 months. This head unit is awesome and it sounds very clear and and great SQ with this sub. Definitely happy with it so far
Originally Posted by cableguy5752
i have an alpine 9826. i dont know how much you are familiar with this deck, but with the bass engine, hit the Center F button until it says treble. then use the track select buttons to choose the frequency (10, 12.5, 17, etc.) these are khz btw. its not actually a crossover, but whichever freq you choose, it will enhance or boost the sound at that freqency. this is how it works on mine with the bass engine. you have the bass engine pro. i cant imagine that they are too different.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i was just going by what i can do on mine. yours has a couple more features than mine. but i thought it would be a same basic principle.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

This is a question that nobody can really answer for you. No 2 people hear exactly the same thing. The only way you will really be able to set is to take time and sit there listening a CD that you are familiar with and change setting until they sound right to you. As far as setting crossovers, what type of music you listen to will have alot to do with that setting. Just take about 30 minutes in a parking lot one day, turn the stereo up to the level that you normally would listen to it at, and changes things until they sound right. I believe that you should ,however, start with either the treble setting or the subwoofer setting first.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

^ is right. no one hears the same. its all in what your preferences are. ive actually spent hours upon hours tweaking my system, from crossover freqs to gains. and im still not 100% happy. that and i just blew one of my pioneer cheapos tonight. gonna have to get a new pair of alpine type r's a little sooner than expected. but oh well, sh*t happens
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Is there a low pass on the the front speakers? What box is that diamond in? Sealed? CuFt? Ported? Tuning freq? The diamond is a good sub and if in a reccommended diamond enclosure should be crossed over at ~80 or lower. Alot of people buy expensive audio components and 90% sound like cheap components because of set up.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, Cableguy...I have the 9827 and have and do what you mentioned above. He just has a newer, more EQ friendly model. All systems and setups are different across the board for all users. Play with it, and you'll come to something that sets up nicely...
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Yes there is a low pass on the front and rear and a high pass for the sub, all built into the HU with adjustable LEVEL and SLOPE..I built the box myself according to Diamonds reccomendations, it was a real treat with the peice of crap circular saw I used and having like 12 peices of wood for the baffles and such.. I am only asking for X-over advice not EQ setup which you seem to understand I am using stock speakers and just dont want get as much sound out of them without damaging them as possible..This is the build sheet for the box I made to exactly their specs. http://www.diamondaudio.com/products...ented%2005.pdf . Let me know what you think..TIA
Originally Posted by 13-0
Is there a low pass on the the front speakers? What box is that diamond in? Sealed? CuFt? Ported? Tuning freq? The diamond is a good sub and if in a reccommended diamond enclosure should be crossed over at ~80 or lower. Alot of people buy expensive audio components and 90% sound like cheap components because of set up.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Good starting range, set the sub to about 200 Hz and the speakers to about 180 Hz. Tune until you have little or no overlap, but try not to get the speakers below 160Hz. From there, tune until you are happy with the sound. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Also, remember to fade about 1 or 2 clicks towards the front for better sound quality.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

yes, that was the first thing I did..Thanks for the help.
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
Also, remember to fade about 1 or 2 clicks towards the front for better sound quality.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

First off nice choice with the diamond audio...I have one 12" D6 Dual 2ohm which is bridged to 1ohm. In the ported box that they recommend which i hope you have been right, now i got my made at my friends audio shop where he deals mainly with diamond, Kove, Orion, Directed, lets just say the highend components. Anyways I am running that sub with a Diamond D5 1200.1 2channel class-d amp bridge to support the 1ohm. So if i could make one suggestion...find a diamond audio amp like there 800watt amp which is like 200.00 and use that amp instead of the one you have because matching components look and sound better, but that is just my opinion. I will post pics of my setup so u can see what i have as well. Even though my trunk is getting gutted soon for a custom sub/amp rack.