Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

HU install problems

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infinity sound system trouble?

Alright I just recieved my new Kenwood HU and it was easy to install sort of. It powered up alright everything seemed ok but no sound. I checked the wireharness to make sure and it checked out. I re-looked on Crutchfield and it says "Bypass your factory amps by running new speaker wires from your new receiver to each speaker". Why would I have to hook up a wire harness if I'm just going to bypass the factory one? I mean usually you just buy a wire harness hook it up and it put everything back together. Why is it so different for me?

Can anybody help me?

Last edited by aquaman; Aug 18, 2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What were the wires you hooked up in the harness? Just battery power, ACC power, ground, and illumination?

Does your car have a factory amp? If so, there should be an adapter available (though not from Crutchfield) that will connect your new HU to your factory amp.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

I ran all new wires in my car.. cause thats just how i roll (MECP certafied) but if you do have an after market stereo system in your car.. gut it. re wire.. or go lame and buy a harness.... but then you have to settle for reduced performance on crap speakers.

ALSO. check your antenna wire.. make sure its not hooked up to your ATT / Mute wire comming off the head unit.. the lancers have powered signal antenna wires.. and i know plenty of people who have fuggled that up.. including myself... if you need anymore help you can PM me and maybe we can IM chat and hash out the problem.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:36 PM

Alright I hooked up the Mitsubishi wire harness (used all wires) to the Kenwood harness with like two wires left over that I couldn't use. They were the mute and the Power control wires. I hooked up the ATT wire to the Blue Motor antenna control wire. I made sure that I matched up the wires according to how they were labeled and the colors matched up perfectly if I can remember.

I do have a factory amp and I was hoping that I could hook it up to my HU using one of the pre-amp out-puts but what was pluged into the facory radio was totally different. My outputs are three RCA plugs and the factory is like the Audio input plug.

AndrewMMueller- I will PM you tomarrow if I need any more help. Right now it is too dark and I'm about tired of the radio already. I'm going to take a break before I do something stupid.

Last edited by aquaman; Aug 10, 2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:44 PM

OK so is the adapter like the opposite of this? I have three sets of female on the HU and the male AUX plug for the amp so I need a adapter that has two male to a female AUX right?

Last edited by aquaman; Aug 10, 2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

PM sent
Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:55 AM

So if I was to rewire my car is there any need for my amp? I mean it's there and I would like to use it.

Edit: I think I'm going to go the adapter route. Can somebody give me a link to where I can buy one or can I buy it at like a local radioshack or bestbuy? Is there a downfall on using the adapter meaning will the sound quality be worse/same/better than using the stock radio?

Last edited by aquaman; Aug 11, 2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 01:43 PM

I have found the adapter for 26 bucks on soundgate.com. Anywhere else that has it for less?
Old Aug 11, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

there is no downfall to using an adapter its just not your custom own work like andrew does
Old Aug 11, 2006, 02:19 PM

Thanks I was hoping it would be the same. Since I am still using the factory amp should I use the built in amp that came in the radio? I can turn it on and off.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

yes, itl just boost the signal more
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:38 PM

Alright guys just got the wire adapter and.... It works!!!!!!!! It's louder and everything works! The remote, my MP3 player, the radio, MP3 cd's. Its great. I love my new HU. The only problem is the border doesn't latch because the HU is too far in but I just used double sided scotch tape and it even looks better. I'll get pics later with night pics if I can.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:57 PM

Here's the pics:

Kenwood HU _________ My MP3 player

It's alittle dirty :P.