Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Amp Disaster

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Amp Disaster

I have a dilema, so i installed my HU with no problem thanks to lance dogg, i used a metra wiring harness. Recently i tried installing a 2 way amp to four speakers using a parallel connection. i took the advice on the forums and ran the speaker wires for the front speakers behind the HU to tap into the existing wires. My problem i believe came when it was time to install the turn on lead on the metra wiring harness it does not have a connection for turn on lead, just antenna turn on lead i connected it to that but no sound. I later tap into the acc/ignition wire,which is red. when i turned on the car my Hu fried. ALso my dome light does not work, my car clock neither, wen i turn off the car the miliage goes to 0, and my power locks dont work unless the car is on! what have i done wrong??? i checked all fuses and they are all ok. should i take it to a mechanic or a pro audio install? or can you guys help me out.. THANKS sorry for the lenthy post
Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

hmm, you made suer to check fuses under hood also?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Ok i'm lost in this post, so you say you had no sound, so i'm assuming the amp was powered on? so you had all lights on on the amp? and the RCA wires were connected into the amp, and the amp was wired correctly to all speakers?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:10 PM

yes, i checked the fuses under the hood. when i had the amp connected to the antenna power on lead the radio turned on and although the amp has no led light to indicate its on i heard it buzzing. but wen i cranked the volume i did not hear the speakers. the rca wire was properly connected.p.s. at this point i only had the front speakers hooked up. so my back speakers i didnt get to test.later wen i switched it to the acc/ignition wen i turn the car back on it fried the stereo, smoke came out n i immideately switched it off :-(
Old Aug 24, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

its just your turn on wire, as long as it has a ground and 12 volts, just tap into your antenna turn on, i dunno about your wiring harness and all maybe its not right? i dunno but another way that cheap installers do is just stick it into an accessory fuse so when you turn your accessories it turns on

about the problem you had, its not a fuse cuz it wouldnt work at all if it was a fuse, it sounds like your accesories (door locks, dome light, etc...) are loosing power totally when you turn your car off do some searching on it, i dont have much of an idea
Old Aug 25, 2006, 08:16 AM

thank you
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the iggnition power wire was yellow and then the full 12v was red
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Nope, constant 12V on an aftermarket is yellow, 12V switched is red.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Did you try to put everything back to the way it was? Also try putting back in the stock HU since you said you fried your aftermarket. Make sure the amp power and remote wire are disconnected from the car. The main thing is to try to get everything functional again before worrying about the amp. Once you figure out the problem you should be able to put your remote wire in the cig. lighter fuse. Are you sure you didn't arc any wires after the fuse box? If you have a large sub amp and one for the speakers and do not have a cap there could probably be a problem of too much power being drawn to the amps while the car is off.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

did u trylistening to the subs on the radio? cuz i thong the the antenna wire is on unless ur turned on to the radio. if u were listening to it with a cd, then u might need to find an ignition wire or a wire that gains power when the car is on
Old Aug 25, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lunchb0x
did u trylistening to the subs on the radio? cuz i thong the the antenna wire is on unless ur turned on to the radio. if u were listening to it with a cd, then u might need to find an ignition wire or a wire that gains power when the car is on
the antenna is turned on when the HU is on
Old Aug 26, 2006, 06:08 AM

well im really afraid to frie anything else. i forgot about putting the original HU back. i will do that in the meanwhile. but imma go to a mechanic to figure out the power problem im having 1st. then ill go to a audio shop see if they can take a look. :::::when u guys say to hook up the power lead to the cig fuse do u mean into the fuse box ? or is there a wire on the harness to tap into? :::::
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

you need to hook up the power lead to the power wire on the wiring harness... for you amp, the remote turn on wire can be tapped into cig lighter, or fuse box any of those will work
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:36 PM

if anyone has his problem, the fix is a fuse under the hood its in a yellow container.