Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

about to install my kenwood head unit... pics will be up shortly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2003, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15. connect the power cable and the mounting bracket to the new head unit.
Attached Thumbnails about to install my kenwood head unit... pics will be up shortly-15-connect.jpg  
Old Jun 14, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

16. reverse the whole process and then... you are done! hope this helped some people out!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails about to install my kenwood head unit... pics will be up shortly-16-tight.jpg  
Old Jun 15, 2003, 05:56 AM

very cool thanks a lot... now know how very helpful thank you!!! if i wanted to install my own amp and sub how woul;d i run the wriing to the asmp from the headunit?? would it require taking carpet and stuff up???
Old Jun 15, 2003, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

oh man, that's a shame that you asked me that now. right after i installed the head unit, i ran the RCA cable from the head unit to my trunk. i didn't have to pull any carpet at all. all you have to do is pry up the plastic panels that line the edge of the car (next to the door). they're only attached with snaps and come out really easily. just pull those out and the big plastic piece that goes from the floor (between front and rear doors) upto the seat belt. it's easier then you can imagine. i'll take pics when i get my 4 guage wiring. sorry i forgot to for the RCAs.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice how-to with pictures even... sticky sticky (Made the thread stay @ the top)
Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:22 AM

hey....now i know how to change the deck.......but mine is Pioneer.....do i need to change the power cords or any cords in
order to fit my pioneer deck??????
Old Jun 16, 2003, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

you need to buy a wiring harness that connects cables from the aftermarket (pioneer) head unit to harness found already in the car. it'll cost only 10-15 bucks and has color coded instructions on how to wire it together. you can buy a harness at any local tweeter, best buy, circuit city, or local car audio shop. if you go to www.crutchfield.com it tells you whether or not certain head units will fit directly in your car, via DIN size. the kenwood i installed required NO extra brackets or anything like that. if your pioneer does, you can buy a mounting kit for another 10-15 bucks. hope this helped.

Chris
Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Lance Dogg
you need to buy a wiring harness that connects cables from the aftermarket (pioneer) head unit to harness found already in the car. it'll cost only 10-15 bucks and has color coded instructions on how to wire it together. you can buy a harness at any local tweeter, best buy, circuit city, or local car audio shop. if you go to www.crutchfield.com it tells you whether or not certain head units will fit directly in your car, via DIN size. the kenwood i installed required NO extra brackets or anything like that. if your pioneer does, you can buy a mounting kit for another 10-15 bucks. hope this helped.

Chris
thanx man.......
Old Jun 18, 2003, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

no prob
Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

WOW!! nice work!!
Old Jul 27, 2003, 12:17 PM

wow
Old Jul 27, 2003, 12:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a question, why did you need to take the cubby on the bottom out? I dont think you need to remove it to install the head unit up in the stock radio location
Old Aug 3, 2003, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Wiring Harness

Hey I was just wondering if you had any compatibility problems with the wiring harness you bought as far as matching colors to the factory wiring...any tips as far as that goes?? I'm installing my headunit tommorow...Great write up..thanks!!!
Old Aug 4, 2003, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

i actually had no connection problems at all. everything is color-coded and labeled on the wires in tiny print and the harness cables had little stickers on the cables telling what each cable was for, so did the packaging the harness came in. if you get confused, look at the Lancer wiring diagram on the main page.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

you don't need to take the cubby out, but i found it helps when you are trying to tuck all the wires back in... especially when the aftermarket HU has in-line fuses and rca's connected.

Quick Reply: about to install my kenwood head unit... pics will be up shortly