Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Amp and Sub Installation - Step by Step

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice man... Did my install the same way.

Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Oooh.. A few more things I almost forgot...

#1 You probably want 10ga or larger wire for the power/ground...

#2 As far as tuning goes, turn your HU up to about 75% with your eq, bass boost, etc zeroed out, then turn the gain up on the amp until it starts

#3 Most speaker/amp manufacturers reccomend a break in period for most subs/amps. Take a 2 hr drive without pushing them to let them work in a bit.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Nice install... do you have your sub there all the time? I would think it would get hit by the arms on the trunk there....
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

hey murch... thanks for the pics. i basically have my wiring in mine the same way (just minus pics). but, as you've probably seen, i posted tutorials on front speaker and head unit installation (both with pics) within the past week or so. guess summertime's the season for stereo projects! i'll keep you all updated with pics on the progress of the rest of my system. i should be ordering my 15 inch adire brahma and JBL 1200.1 within the next 2-4 weeks.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I have the sub there all the time. Its only a 10" HE though, so clearance is fine.

Old Jun 15, 2003, 02:15 PM

I ran mine mostly the same way but with a few adjustments since my power wire is quite a bit larger judging from the pics. I have 0 ga wire and it doesn't fit quite as well. Very nice installs on both cars though.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks again!
I figured 10ga was enough for my purposes, given the fact I actually was given an install kit for free when i bought the amp. I love haggling... I beat them down 100 bucks on the sub and got the kit for free.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Lance Dogg
hey murch... thanks for the pics. i basically have my wiring in mine the same way (just minus pics). but, as you've probably seen, i posted tutorials on front speaker and head unit installation (both with pics) within the past week or so. guess summertime's the season for stereo projects! i'll keep you all updated with pics on the progress of the rest of my system. i should be ordering my 15 inch adire brahma and JBL 1200.1 within the next 2-4 weeks.
hey...where's the page where you teach how to change the front speakers??????
Old Jun 19, 2003, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

here ya go... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=26007
Old Jun 19, 2003, 04:49 PM

thanx man~~~~so, just wnat to make sure.....6.5" doesn't fit right?
Old Jun 19, 2003, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

it depends... my alpine type S speakers in the front are 6 1/2's, but they came with mounting brackets so they fit... if you can find them try to get 6 3/4's or oversized 6 1/2's. but, if not, buy 6 1/2's with mounting brackets!
Old Jun 19, 2003, 09:13 PM

it depends... my alpine type S speakers in the front are 6 1/2's, but they came with mounting brackets so they fit... if you can find them try to get 6 3/4's or oversized 6 1/2's. but, if not, buy 6 1/2's with mounting brackets!
mounting brackets???any pix of that??coz i have a pair or alpine SPS-1629S on my hand now.......brand new....don't know what to do with that..^__^...so, hope can install that in my lancer~~
Old Jun 20, 2003, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

lemme try to find the pic...

it's that round, black, plastic piece that i'm screwing into my door in the pic. it came with my set of speakers. it came with my SPS-170A's. in the rear though, i have the same situation as you. i have a pair of SPS-1629S's. those, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT come with a mounting bracket. so, i guess you have 2 options.

1. do what i did, and ghetto rig it; i have my 1629's in my back deck via plastic zip-ties holding them in. i know it's not a great idea, but it holds them in really tight. i put the zip-ties through the holes in the circles around the opening where the speaker goes and into the holes where the screws should go in the speakers.

2. try to go to a local car audio place, maybe even best buy or circuit city. but, you'll probably have better luck at one of the smaller, better dealers and try to get mounting brackets.
Attached Thumbnails Amp and Sub Installation - Step by Step-16bracketscrew.jpg  
Old Jun 20, 2003, 05:28 AM

lemme try to find the pic...

it's that round, black, plastic piece that i'm screwing into my door in the pic. it came with my set of speakers. it came with my SPS-170A's. in the rear though, i have the same situation as you. i have a pair of SPS-1629S's. those, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT come with a mounting bracket. so, i guess you have 2 options.

1. do what i did, and ghetto rig it; i have my 1629's in my back deck via plastic zip-ties holding them in. i know it's not a great idea, but it holds them in really tight. i put the zip-ties through the holes in the circles around the opening where the speaker goes and into the holes where the screws should go in the speakers.

2. try to go to a local car audio place, maybe even best buy or circuit city. but, you'll probably have better luck at one of the smaller, better dealers and try to get mounting brackets.
hey man...thanx...for the information..^__^.........i will try them out~~~

edit...hey..does these two ways affect the sound of the speakers????

Last edited by rodneylin; Jun 20, 2003 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

I couldnt find any brackets once so i used small pieces of mechano to adapt the 6.5s to 6 3/4s
=)

Quick Reply: Amp and Sub Installation - Step by Step