Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

I'm pissed and I have no more idea

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2003, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry I'm pissed and I have no more idea

I got freakin problems with my sound system. A few weeks ago, I installed some aftermarket speakers in my rear shelf. Everything was fine until yesterday. I decided to hook those aftermarket speakers to an amplifier and here comes the freakin problems.

When the key is set on Accessories everything is cool.

When the key is set to On or Start (or whatever) without the engine running, I get that issing noise. As soon as I turn on the head lights, the issing goes away.

When the engine is running, I get the same problem plus engine noise in my rear speakers.

I know...

1. Change your RCA (I don't use RCA with that amp)
2. Change your ground (already done)
3. Change your speaker wires (already done)
4. Make sure no power lines are near the speaker wires (I striped down the entire back of the car to make sure no power lines were near. So I guess I can say "already done")
5. Change your amp (already done)
6. Change your speakers (when the speakers are hook directly to the HU I have no problem)

So here is my question. Can the factory wiring be at fault. Should I run my own wires from the HU to the amp? I have noticed that factory wires are all mixed up with a bunch of other wires which are probably powering something else in the car.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how are u wiring the amp to the HU? u have the factory HU right?

blaze, i definately recommend rewiring everything yourself. it helps u KNOW where the wire is going and should eliminate any mistakes u can cause with the factory wires.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Stock or Aftermarket HU?
Which Model?

Which amp?
Old Jun 17, 2003, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bobaab
u have the factory HU right?
At first I had a Kenwood and had the same problem with it. The Kenwood HU itself is giving to much trooble so I'm bringing it back to Futurscrap to get it fixed.

So right now I'm running from the HU. If I remember right, my Remote wire is connected to the Blue-Yellow (only one that has power once the key is turned)

I get my sound signal from the factory wires that are in the rear deck. I'm connected directly from the plastic thing in the rear deck and it goes to my amp wiring harness, away from power lines.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bobaab
blaze, i definately recommend rewiring everything yourself. it helps u KNOW where the wire is going and should eliminate any mistakes u can cause with the factory wires.
That is the only thing I haven't done so far. It kinda scares the hell out of me.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

can u hear music through the hissing?
if u can..that probably means that u're running a power line into the amp but that's very unlikely from what u said..

let me make this clear, since i havent touched my lancer's sound system yet
are u running the speaker wires from the back of the HU to the amp? i dont know what u mean by the plastic thing..
Old Jun 17, 2003, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Well, a few of your probelms are being generated by the fact that you're running the stock HU. It's a POS, and the old saying "Garbage In, Garbage Out" applies.

Does everyone know what happens when we amplify bad signal?
That's right, we get louder bad signal.
You can't really tell that the stock HU is a POS when you're running a totally stock system, because all the noise is quiet enough that you just don't hear it. Run an amp, and boost that signal, then you're gonna hear every little pop, whiz, and crackle in there.

Personally, I don't find high level inputs to produce the cleanest sound either, but that's just me.

As for solutions to your problems, the cheap way is to take out the amp. Amping your rears shouldn't be a real priority anyways, they don't do anything for SQ. The expensive way is to get a new headunit with preouts, and run a set of decent RCA's to the amp.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah... Don't rewire the car. It's not worth your time, and probably won't have any positive effects.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

The aftermarket HU gave me the same issing sound.

I wasn't sure If I could RCA my amp for HIGHs. I guess I'll try that tomorow.

bobaab: The plastic thing I am talking about is the piece that connects to the stock speakers. Basicly it's two metal thing covered in plastic to fit the stock speaker connection.

So I tapped my signal from there. And yes, I do ear music over the issing sound. But trust me, there is none of MY power wires going near my speakers lines. As I said, I spent the whole day stripping the rear end to make sure of that.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Well, try the RCA thing, if it doesn't work, let me know, and I'll do what I can to fix you up.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

I got a question about RCAs.

I already have some of them at home, but I also have these adapter that turns a coaxial wire into an RCA. Would that be a good choice? I'm talking high quality coaxial wire and gold plated adapter.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you getting the power source for the amp from?
Did you ever think of just putting a noise filter on the amp?
Old Jun 18, 2003, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

If you've already got RCA's just work with those. The single cable will be much cleaner and quieter than having to change wire types multiple times. (The amp takes an RCA in, so you'd be coming from HU RCA Out > RCA > Connector > Coax > Connector > RCA > Amp RCA in )

Also... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that coax has quite a bit of difference in inductance and resistance values than RCA. Which would also color signal, and quite possibly make it sound HORRIBLE, or it may just not work.

But, like everything else, if you really want to do it, try it. If it sucks, it sucks. If it's great, maybe you'll start a trend. Either way, let us know the result. (But if you're just trying it, I wouldn't spend the time to run the wires in hidden locations, because I know I'd be pretty pissed if I hid all those wires only to have it not work)
Old Jun 18, 2003, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

u said u had a kenwood rah...well...i had a kenwood...and i did get a hissing sound....i switched it to pioneer and it werks a lot better...kenwood is good when u buy the crossover and hook it up together
Old Jun 18, 2003, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

RCAs make it worst I tried both coaxial and regular RCAs. I really don't know what to try now.

Do you guys think my power wire from the battery could be the cause. If I remember right, I'm running 8 gauge.

Quick Reply: I'm pissed and I have no more idea