Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Sub connection question

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2007, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub connection question

Can some one please help me really quickly. I got some subs for my wifes car, altough I have been searching all over the internet for the best way to connect them I am running int a little problem trying to find the best way. Here is what I have.

2 Kicker Compvr CVR 10" Daul Voice Coil 2 ohms
max watt power 600 (watts peak)
max power 300 (watss rms)

Amp Sony XM-1652Z
Maximum Output Power:
2 Ch x 380W at 4 ohm
1 Ch x 1000W at 4 ohm
2 Ch x 500W at 2 ohm
Rated Output Power:
2 Ch x 165W at 4 ohm (0.04% THD)
1 Ch x 400W at 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
2 Ch x 200W at 2 ohm (0.1% THD)

What is the best way to connect the subs since it is only a two channel amp.
Any help would be greatly appriciated. Currently they are connected positive to negative with a jumper wire. Also would it pay to connect the rear speakers into the high level output sonce they are dual voice coils?? Thanks for the imput!!
Old May 13, 2007, 03:00 PM

Add

I have it wired as "series".

With the amp above can I wire them parallel without causing damage to the amp??
Old May 13, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

It's been a while since I've done a stereo setup, but wouldn't just running both of them into 1 channel cause the amp to "read" a 2 ohm load? And using this, would the subs need to be series like as now, or parallel?

Oh, I guess we'll new to know too if the amp is 2ohm stable with a 2ohm load...
Old May 13, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

The best way/safest way to run your subs (being dual 2 ohm subs) would be at an 8 ohm load on the amp bridged (mono) . The problem with that is you won't get much power (only half the power you would get at 4 ohms bridged). The subs should have been dual 4 ohm subs so that you could series each speaker making each sub an 8 ohm sub and then parallel the two together bringing it back to 4 ohms where you'd get full power out of the amp. If you were to run the impedance any lower than 4 ohms bridged, the amp will probably clip and go into protection. Any way to change out the subs for dual 4 ohms???

Last edited by krish; May 13, 2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old May 13, 2007, 08:57 PM

I'm no expert but if you run them parrell and series you should be able to get a 4ohm load at one channel.

Here is a great site for info and most any electrical stuff.
http://www.bcae1.com/
Old May 13, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

There is no way to wire that combination correctly and have it deliver a 4 ohm load as one channel. You are either going to be running 2 seperate channels @ 4, or 1 channel @ 2 or 8. The amp will probably bite the dust at 2 ohms into a single channel.

Unless you plan to replace the subs or the amp, you are going to just have to run series for the voice coils on each sub, and then run the subs as 2 seperate channels. Ideally, I would say get a different amp that will handle 2 ohms and give a bit more juice. But, I know that may not be in your budget right now.
Old May 13, 2007, 09:22 PM

well then if that is true then using what you got this is your best option.

But if you took that and ran it in series for the one channel wouldn't that be 4ohms?

Last edited by JediBeavis; May 13, 2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old May 13, 2007, 10:31 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up on all of this. I will go through and run them as shown and see how they sound. If that does not work I will take them back and get some 4 ohms. Guess I should have paid attention when I got them!! Thanks again!
Old May 14, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

my best advice for you, with that amp, is to only run 1 sub @ 2 ohms for now, you will be soo much more satisfied than running both subs.

that amp will not make those 2 subs sound good no matter what u do... keep the 2 ohm DVC for when you upgrade amps
Old May 14, 2007, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Running how they are shown is not going to give 2 ohms per sub. With dual voice coil 2-ohm subs to start with, you are either going to have 4 ohms or 1 ohm at the amp. Just keep them run at 4 ohms and run seperately until you can get a different amp in the future.

Or, like bene said, run one sub. Althought it will be 4 ohms as well, it will get closer to the power that it wants if you use the amp just for that one sub.
Old May 14, 2007, 12:00 PM

I think your Sony is going to burn at 2 ohm mono...
Old May 14, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

^Ah, didn't even read the brand... Definitely don't run it 1 ch @ 2 ohms! LOL It'll overheat quick and throw the protection on yah. If you still want 2 subs, got with 2 8ohm SVC subs and use them running into 1 ch. And not to say the Sony is crap, but its car audio is about the crappest electronics they make now.

Last edited by SLVROZ_03; May 14, 2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old May 14, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Previously posted by JediBevis But if you took that and ran it in series for the one channel wouldn't that be 4ohms?

As already stated a dual 2 ohm speaker will either give you 1 ohm (parallel) or 4 ohms (series). So if you went by your diagram, the subs are wired at 1 ohm stereo and if you were to series them and bridge it on the amp (mono), you would have a 2 ohm load which I'm sure the amp can't handle.
Old May 15, 2007, 09:57 AM

Thank you again for you help, as I am not a stereo expert I have not done much with them. I can connect things with no problem.

Bene / Never Satisfied- In order to run one sub do I wire the one sub to the amp on pot of the channels? Or do I wire the sub in parallel / series and conect it to the amp on one channel? Or bridge it on the amp?? Hope all that makes sense!! LOL
Old May 15, 2007, 10:44 AM

You always want to try to bridge the amp if possible...so that would bean running the speakers at 4 ohms in your case (parallel + serial).

Quick Reply: Sub connection question