Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

sub position

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sub position

Does anyone know if turning your subs towards the front of the car make them louder, or does it matter? I've heard both ways, Was just curious.

thanks
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derobosmi
Does anyone know if turning your subs towards the front of the car make them louder, or does it matter? I've heard both ways, Was just curious.

thanks
always face them towards the back of the car...
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Another option

I have a custom pod in my trunk so it points from the side... just another way of doing it.
Attached Thumbnails sub position-image030.jpg  
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

My subs are facing forward with the back seat down, an i feel they sound nicer
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

I have seen and read many articles about the positioning of subwoofers, and ultimately in the end it makes no difference in performance or sound which way they are facing. What will improve performance and sound will be a perfectly paired subwoofer and amp, in a "tuned" box. Most people always forget that a sub box built to the subwoofers specs can play an important role in the sound and performance of any woofer.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:39 PM

exactly right, proper box and proper clean power and signal are very important. Subs are Non directional. only thing is watch for excursion of sub so it doesn't rub anything.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

the positioning does matter. if not postioned correctly the sound waves can interfer with eachother and cancel eachother out. properly postioned the subs should be the same volume trunk opened or closed.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostinpsi
the positioning does matter. if not postioned correctly the sound waves can interfer with eachother and cancel eachother out. properly postioned the subs should be the same volume trunk opened or closed.
That is true, to a certain degree. Its going to depend on the frequency, at certain frequencys yes im sure it will cancel each other out. Generally anything over 40-60hz is too long, but even in that case it may not cancel the sound out, it may actually add together. Think about it this way 100hz is equal to 11.3ft, basically it wont matter. You calculate the wavelenght of any frequency below 100hz its too damn long to cancel out. Basically all the wavelenghts are so long below 100hz that it doesnt matter how you position a sub or how many subs you have.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:11 AM
Evolving Member

In addition to my side pod... i took out the rear deck speakers (left grills in place) and moved them to custom pods on my rear doors. Leaving the back deck holes as a sort of porting for the trunk... to let the bass flow into the cabin of the car. Sometimes I just drop the small side of the seat down and let it flow from there.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

i agree to the fullest on position. if u have ur subs facing into the car. then u have the subs directly hitting on u. if they face the trunk then you get the reverb and get the better end of the bass. if they subs are facing each other. then they cancel the sound out n u get basically nothing
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

"orders of reflection" ring any bells? the distance from the sub to the first point of reflection makes a big difference in sound quality, db., and phase. making any holes by removing rear speakers etc simply create a very large bandpass box which may help or hurt.

either that, or you can just guess and live in ignorance.

the reality is that a car is a horrible place to try and put an audio system, there will always be compromises. I'd say at the very least get the right size box for your sub(s), decide if you want ported or sealed and crunch the numbers. Try to position it as best you can and get the phase correct. if you've done this much you're better then probably half the people who mess with this stuff and end up with a one note sub that is not at all musical.

Last edited by theblue; Sep 13, 2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:09 AM

i got my sub facing out (my trunk) with my back seat down =] and yes, the right box would def make a difference. just my 2cents.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

I have 2 Kicker CVR 12"s and I have tried the box facing both directions. I think it was louder with the subs facing into the car, but only with the seat down. I didn't like leaving them down, and it sounded bad with the seats up so I turned the box around and all is good. I agree with everyone on the fact that the amp has to be good, clean power; and the box has to be made to the speakers specs, but I personally think they sound better facing the rear of the car.