Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Here are Instructions for Installing Stereo Head Unit

Old Jun 22, 2003, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go to circuit city or best buy or tweeter...
Old Jul 3, 2003, 05:45 AM

Just FYI, if you don't want to bother with the screws on the stock radio (i.e. you don't want to risk stripping the heads or you want to leave them on so you can replace the stock head unit later) you can order the rails from your dealer. Mine quoted me a price of 3.77 or something US per rail. Sounds like it's worth it just to not have to deal with the hassle.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

what do you mean rails?
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

The rails are little metal slides that provide a surface to bolt the head unit to, and then to the frame.

Next time I manage to show up to an MLC meet, I'll take the dash apart and show you, if you'd like.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
With the climate controls off, you can just pry off the dash trim with your hands. Takes a bit of force, but at least you dont have use any knives or sharp ended tools.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 09:05 AM

To answer one question, some harnesses are plug and play. On another note, is there enough wire, that would allow soldering of the wires?? I prefer soldering and covering the wires with heat shrink tube. Good write up. Getting my Lancer sometimes this week and I can tell you the cheesey radio is going to be one of the first things to go!!! Can anyone suggest any good speakers that they are using, sizes, avg. price???
Old Nov 1, 2003, 01:13 AM

hi, i got my friends kenwood deck,and i'm trying 2 put int in my car, my 97 lancer.

i had cut all the wires from the stock tape deck, but they wires are different colours, so i'm having a problem trying to find the speaker cables, i've got power 2 the deck, by only connecting the yellow wire from the deck to a blue cable, and by connecting the red cable in the deck 2 a red/black cable.

but this is my problem, i dont what the speakers r.
theres still 10 cables left, coz i only have front speakers, but i dont know wat colour their speakers cables r.

can any1 help me out? (dont suggest a wire harness, because i cant find one around my area.)

if u need more info just ask, thanks
Old Nov 5, 2003, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i uh...got my pioneer hooked up, everything is GREAT! but...the screws from the stock HU brackets...are to wide for the Pioneer HU...so it doesnt mount...

i took the Pioneer HU out of my 95 Grand Am..and now it all works everything is great except i can't mount it...it sucks
Old Apr 29, 2004, 08:04 AM

installed my pioneer deck and it looks god awful........the gap is ****ty and i can see metal trim..........i tried black tape but that doesnt come anywhere near looking good, going to try long screws and washers today even though someone said it wont work with a pioneer, also someone said something bout putting trim behind dash!?!

anyways ive got a pioneer 7400mp
Old May 6, 2004, 06:38 PM

I am installing the Pioneer 9600MP tomorrow but looking at the posts here.. it sounds like its going to look horrible

Last edited by theanalogpark; May 6, 2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old May 6, 2004, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

it won't look terrible. i had a few HU's there and they've all looked great. reason being, i managed to put the trim ring around the head unit and squeeze the front mitsu-trim piece back on top of it. check the link: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=11733
Old May 13, 2004, 10:05 AM

I take it the Deck fits right in? Im trying to figure out if I need a mounting Kit or not. It dosnt look like it needs one, but ive never seen a car that dosnt....
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:04 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Havocprez
I take it the Deck fits right in? Im trying to figure out if I need a mounting Kit or not. It dosnt look like it needs one, but ive never seen a car that dosnt....
Yes the deck fits right in and you will not need a kit. You will use the brackets from the stock stereo to mount your new stereo.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 01:59 PM

radio install on RS

I just finished RS radio installation.

1 Buy Mitsu wire harness

2 The rear speaker wires are taped down under the rear speaker covers, which are easily removed from the trunk

3 I was not able to fit the mounting bracket in the opening but the radio fit snug without it, I will find out if it rattles with time.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

none of the Lancers need any sort of mounting brackets or cages. all you have to do is unscrew the brackets from the factory radio or the brackets behind the empty dash spot in yours (the RS). then, you take the metal brackets and you screw them into whatever aftermarket radio you're using. don't just slide it in and let if move around. the brackets are necessary and will also prevent the radio from just being pulled out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Here are Instructions for Installing Stereo Head Unit