Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

All sound cuts out (FM/AUX/SIRIUS) '08 Lancer ES

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All sound cuts out (FM/AUX/SIRIUS) '08 Lancer ES

Hi Folks,

First post in the audio section, I have a 2008 Lancer which is now out of warranty. A few months ago I started having an issue where no sound would come out of the speakers. The radio is clearly on, and seems to change stations fine, but the sound cuts out 100%

When it's doing this it affects everything:
- CD's
- FM
- AM
- AUX input (to my iphone)
- Sirius XM
- Bluetooth

The thing is, it's very intermittent, starting up the car in the morning it could work (or not) and could be fine for the entire drive (or not). But once it cuts out it won't come back until I turn off the car....and even then not 100% of the time. Sometime I can go a week or two without any problems, but I can also go a week or two without the sound coming back at all.

Any ideas what's going on? I had the car at a mechanic for a different issue and asked them to look into it, but they told me to take it to the dealer without really looking at it.

Unfortunately the dealer is on the other side of town, only open M-F 8am-5pm and doesn't give loaner vehicles. I'll take the time off work if i have to, but I'm hoping someone here might have a troubleshooting idea or two first.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having this problem as well on my 2014. I first noticed it happening about 2 months after I got it. I have tried searching online for others with the issue but haven't found much outside of this post. I mentioned it to the service department last time I took it in and had them check for a software update, but there was no update available. I will look into it more when I take it back in next time.

I notice the problem happening most for me when my Bluetooth device comes in/out of the system. I try and make a phone call or use the hands-free system and then I cannot hear the phone call so I have to grab my phone and turn the Bluetooth off. After my phone call/text message voice reply, the audio does not come back when I switch to my USB device or radio stations. Like you said, the only way to get the audio to come back is to remove power from the radio by turning the car off. I would like to know if there is a way to reset the radio using the touch screen or navigation button so I can reboot without having to turn the car off and back on just to get my radio working again.

Which radio do you have? I am curious if it is happening with all radio models or just certain ones. I have the touch screen Mitsubishi Motors Link System radio (non Rockford Fosgate).