Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

audio upgrade time - suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audio upgrade time - suggestions

Hello everyone,

I have a speaker that is giving up, so naturally its time to look at options. Car is 2011 Lancer DE with non rockford system. No amp, so sub, no navigation. 4 speakers and 2 tweeters.

GOAL: clear music, accoustic guitar, drums and bass with some decent volume but nothing crazy. Music is punk, country and pop with wife in car.

I was thinking of 4 new speakers, a 40 or 60w RMS x 4 channel amp, new speaker wire and amp hookup kit. But then concerns of how it could possibly mount to factory head unit and if car battery can handle amp ok.

So now looking for suggestions, is a new head unit, 4 new coaxial speakers a decent option...or new head unit, 4 new speakers, sub and sub amp? new head unit, amp, 4 new speakers?

I have a budget of $500cdn and install is me and friends ($300usd - car stuff is crazy cheaper in US) and amps I was looking at were Pioneer 40W RMS x 4 channel ($132) or Pioneer 60w RMS x 4 channel ($192). Speakers was looking at component front (to replace factory tweeter), but can also go wit coaxial 2 way front, 3 way rear.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
My thoughts:

The OEM radio is notorious for losing one channel on the CD player.

There are kits to use existing radio output - but sound quality suffers when using an adapter form speaker level input to low level/RCA input.

Keep the component speaker set up (up front) for proper sound staging. So the music comes from the windshield in front of you and not down by your ankles...

Consider just buying a good used amp. I found mine for free and $20 respectively.

This would help afford a new head unit which can interface with your smart phone for Nav and music.

A back up camera could added as well

Include in your cost estimate a good 'dash kit' to mount the new head unit and an 'amp installation kit' if you need one.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, after speaking with a friend who is pretty knowledgeable in this area, ordered Sony MEXBX-100BT head unit with built in 4x100 built in amplifier, dash kit and steering wheel adapter for factory buttons.

Next stage will be speakers and a single 10" or 12" sub for alittle extra kick with cheapo amp. that should be more than enough for me.

Seems $500 was sacrificing too much, so stages a better option. just may take alittle while to get the speakers.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.

Consider buying a used Fosgate system speaker enclosure (and replace with another 10 inch driver).