Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

which 6.5 coax speakers is best with no amp?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Did your headunit not come with a wiring harness? You can get everything from www.crutchfield.com or https://www.sonicelectronix.com. Just plug in your car info and it will give you options on what to buy. Their customer service is also very helpful. Good luck!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Alpine type R has a 'universal fit' frame which works well with the non-standard Mitsu 3 bolt holes in the doors.

I would do separates (not coax) - if you do not already have a tweeter in the sail panel - they are cheap on ebay...

You could do a coax in the rear - but a 6.5" woofer is better for sound staging (sounds like a concert with majority of sound coming from the windshield.

"But what about great sound for rear passengers?"
I don't care. No one in the back seat ever made a car payment.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Veronica
Alpine type R has a 'universal fit' frame which works well with the non-standard Mitsu 3 bolt holes in the doors.

I would do separates (not coax) - if you do not already have a tweeter in the sail panel - they are cheap on ebay...

You could do a coax in the rear - but a 6.5" woofer is better for sound staging (sounds like a concert with majority of sound coming from the windshield.

"But what about great sound for rear passengers?"
I don't care. No one in the back seat ever made a car payment.
which 6.5 woofer would you recommend for the front door panels?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Woofer is for the rears. For the front doors use separates. I used the http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-AL...MAAOSwuMFUj2gT

The 1" tweeter fits in the sail panel with minor mod.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Woofer is for the rears. For the front doors use separates. I used the http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-AL...MAAOSwuMFUj2gT

The 1" tweeter fits in the sail panel with minor mod.
these with no amp??? ain't these to strong to be played with no amp???
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

No such thing as "too strong."

"Can they handle a amp (if you add one later)?" yep.

"If I don't have an amp - will it hurt the speakers?" Not a chance.

Just don't listen at a volume that makes the little OEM radio amp distort (which is bad for any speaker). You know when the amp is distorting (not the speaker) when the distortion is across all the frequencies.

Versus a speaker reaching its limit - which will first have the bass start "muffing" each bass hit and then turn the volume up more and then the speaker will 'bang' with each bass hit (as the voice coil bangs against the frame).
Old Mar 9, 2017, 07:56 AM

my friend is selling me a old sony cd radio its a sony Cdx gt400 for only 15 dollars totally working 100 pct its 17watts x4 rms ,52wattsx4 do you think its worth it ? or should I wait and get the new kenwood excelon kdc x301?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
The S and the R you should really have them amp'd in my opinion but the E should be fine through the power of the headunit based on the specs. I only amp'd mine because I found a really good price on ebay and it was a good range for the type E and a little underrated for the type S.
my friend is selling me a old sony cd radio Sony cdx gt400 for only 15 dollars totally workin is it worth it or shouldI wait and get the kenkenwood excelon kdc x301 ?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
For $15 dollars just get it and upgrade it later if you still want the kenwood at that point. For me I had certain requirements when I bought my headunit. I needed bluetooth and sirius compatibility as well as an aux and usb port for my ipod.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
For $15 dollars just get it and upgrade it later if you still want the kenwood at that point. For me I had certain requirements when I bought my headunit. I needed bluetooth and sirius compatibility as well as an aux and usb port for my ipod.
thanks yea I really dont need the blue tooth and Sirius and that 15dollarsone got Aux for ipod . I just wondering will it Still sound good with the Alpine Ape 6000 speakers?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

It will be fine. Will it sound better with amps - you betcha'!
FWIW: I got my amps on Craigs List - one for free(!) and the other for only $30...