Notices

RRM Piggy Back ECU - Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM Piggy Back ECU - Question

How easy is it to connect the module and disconnect it in case I have to take my car in to get it serviced?

My other question is probably best answered by someone at RRM, once I disconnect the module is there any trace of it being there left on the ECU? Basically I'd like to know if my dealership will be able to tell that I tinkered with the ECU...

Thanks a lot
Old Dec 16, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Fairly easy to install and remove , no they can't tell if you tricked the ECU but YES they will see the spliced wires . Use at your own risk .
Old Dec 16, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 08GTSMayhem
How easy is it to connect the module and disconnect it in case I have to take my car in to get it serviced?

My other question is probably best answered by someone at RRM, once I disconnect the module is there any trace of it being there left on the ECU? Basically I'd like to know if my dealership will be able to tell that I tinkered with the ECU...

Thanks a lot
It's a pretty easy install and as far as taking it off for service you have 2 options: hide it well so that you don't have to worry about it or buy some 5 cent connectors at Radio Shack to make it easily removable. It may even come with the connectors do do that...somebody with the piggyback could give you a 100% answer.

There wouldn't be any trace if you disconnected the piggyback...it's not as though it hacks into and alters the ECU or anything, so you're safe there.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:46 PM

Really? I had heard otherwise; that the ecu actually keeps records the air/fuel mix and that if it is plugged into diagnostics, if the tech is looking, they can tell and will know that a piggyback was used at one time. I wish I really knew 100% for sure. Oh well.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

my only problem with the piggyback is that my mechanic says the clips that come with it are crappy and will sometimes not keep a secure connection. He said it is better off to solder the wires which will not be easily removabe wen u go tp the dealership...
does anyone know a beter wasy?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:56 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by chetman7
my only problem with the piggyback is that my mechanic says the clips that come with it are crappy and will sometimes not keep a secure connection. He said it is better off to solder the wires which will not be easily removabe wen u go tp the dealership...
I solder them but i taped up my wires and i taped up the piggy and hid it. It looks completly stock. Did it nice and neat .

Only way i recommend
Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ProRCRacer
Really? I had heard otherwise; that the ecu actually keeps records the air/fuel mix and that if it is plugged into diagnostics, if the tech is looking, they can tell and will know that a piggyback was used at one time. I wish I really knew 100% for sure. Oh well.
If there is a Check engine light, the ECU will record the conditions that set the light. Then the technician can see different parameters such as fuel trim and timing. Most likely He won't know that it was caused by a piggy back but if the harness has been tampered with then it might not be covered by warranty. However if you in for a suspension problem there is probably no reason for the tech to even hook up the scan tool to it.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chetman7
Solder them.

Trust me, even if you use the clips, will be able to tell you've tampered with the car.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor

lol they know all, (all seeing eye)
Old Jan 2, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
lol they know all, (all seeing eye)
Old Jan 2, 2008, 05:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NJ deserves member of the week.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

lol luckily my mitsu dealership turns a blind eye to mods, since they do it themselves
Old Jan 24, 2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by M@verik
lol luckily my mitsu dealership turns a blind eye to mods, since they do it themselves
Lucky you! My dealership isn't too bad. They said as long as they can't prove the mod caused the problem then it's warranty safe.

I've seen much worse dealerships...my friend's Nissan dealership told him he couldn't' even install an after market CD player without voiding his warranty!

Anyways, back on topic...I really would like the piggy back but worried about the possible consequences with warranty...I have a feeling the piggy back might be pushing it a bit too far with my dealership...doesn't hurt to ask I guess.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ironballz
Lucky you! My dealership isn't too bad. They said as long as they can't prove the mod caused the problem then it's warranty safe.

I've seen much worse dealerships...my friend's Nissan dealership told him he couldn't' even install an after market CD player without voiding his warranty!

Anyways, back on topic...I really would like the piggy back but worried about the possible consequences with warranty...I have a feeling the piggy back might be pushing it a bit too far with my dealership...doesn't hurt to ask I guess.
Its not that hard to install it where you can remove it within a 15 minute time frame.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by SeRious08
Its not that hard to install it where you can remove it within a 15 minute time frame.
Ya but you have to splice into the wires right? I'm worried they'll void my warranty if they see the spliced wires.

Quick Reply: RRM Piggy Back ECU - Question