Notices

WORKS Brain Flash for '08 Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elpoole
Well Mr. I Type In Big Font. How does it work then? Ive got my beliefs but since your previous post was such a waste of forward intellectual progress, Id like you to stand up and teach the class what you think you know. ( said with a smart *** joking voice. )
One part, when compared to stock, will show a gain because it's improving the car's breathing. If you add a 2nd part, you will see a gain, but it won't be A + B. Because it's not part A and part B, it's a car that's now modified to be AB (bear with me here).

Also, those gains that people praise are just a dyno run stock (you can bet they take the lowest number) and a dyno run with the mod (you can bet they take the highest number). Those gains are 99% lies. Yes, you can actually see a dyno sheet of the before and after. But if we dyno your car, slap the part on and dyno again, you pretty much never see that exact claim. They claim you gain 10, maybe you get 5. So that's a huge part of it. They work the data to make the part look kickass. The same way that the infomercial people claim a pill will make you **** bigger . . .

When you're adding modifications, you're changing the way the car breathes in and out. You can see gains with each part, but when you add multiple parts, it becomes a question of how things work TOGETHER. A lot of modifications are R&Ded on a stock car. So you put A and B on a car and they don't work well together - maybe you gain NO power at all. Maybe you LOSE power.

Quick example - ambystom01 bought most of the 4G94 parts RRM made. When he dynoed his car, he got about 5hp over stock. When he called RRM to ask why, they claimed that his mod list wasn't planned well because the parts weren't working together. But they were mostly RRM parts.

-------------------

Quick & dirty example (last one) - you're thinking of mods as A + B + C etc. But think of it this way - if you put 5 people in a room and ask them to solve a problem, do you add up their IQ and say "hey, we have 538 IQ points in that room" ??? No. 5 people working on the same problem will have to work together to solve the problem. So to get back to the car, those 5 modifications will have to work together to make the car gain HP.

Last explanation bit - bolt-ons will help, but tuning is the REAL key to making power. The Works flash will be an important last step, especially if you can take your car and get it dyno-tuned for your exact mods rather than the generic map it'll come with. Because then you're fine-tuning the car to make the most HP with the mods it has on it.

OK, I'm done. Please tell me that helped.......
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Quick example - ambystom01 bought most of the 4G94 parts RRM made. When he dynoed his car, he got about 5hp over stock. When he called RRM to ask why, they claimed that his mod list wasn't planned well because the parts weren't working together. But they were mostly RRM parts.
I'm actually new to tuning since I got my '08, but i'm learning. I kind of had a similar question to this in the dyno thread, but what n/a parts would go together to gain hp and not lose it by like you said, just getting all the products from a company?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

^^ no seeing as sheep said that guy bought ALL the parts from RRM.

you have to work out how each part affects engine performance (i.e. the intake and exhaust open up flow, but you dont want TOO much flow then the fuel cant keep up or backpressure isn't maintained to create torque) and then figure out what each part wants
Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:59 PM

"The same way that the infomercial people claim a pill will make you **** bigger . . . " that is some funny stuff right ther
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:39 PM

At least he speaks English well, and gets his point across very eloquently. I was debating on whether or not I would drive down and get a custom tune, and the way Blacksheep put it, it'd be more efficient to do so, that way they can re-map my ECU to what mods I do have on my car right now.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by the_cosworth
I think the exhaust is better than that, Works dyno'd their exhaust at 7 or 8 hp. I think that a flash to a stock car could give 12 hp and to a modded car probably 15.

I think we should see 160 to the wheels with Intake, exhaust, and flash.

and to be honest that is probably conservative. (8+7+15 = 30hp) add that to the base tests of 142 hp to the wheels and we should be up around 170
not likely...my guess is 15whp total for all mods and the perfect tune... and nobody is getting a base dyno of 142whp unless the dyno is not correcting properly.. Thats a 10hp drop from the crank which is not going to happen....
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

^^ we had already talked about that, we felt that Mitsubishi underrated their engine.

But I agree that those mods wont add up like that, Sheep and I already discovered that on the last page
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Wow didn't think my name would come up here. As Doug said, I had literally every bolt-on part and even went as far as getting motor work (10:1 pistons) done and I still only gained 5 whp. I lost 3 wtq to get that and my dyno map was nearly the same as a stock car. You can't simply sit back and add up the numbers given to you by a manfacturer, I'm sorry but that's ricer math. You're not going to gain 30 hp with bolt-on parts, that's blind optimism. Whether the car is underrated is debatable, it depends on what dyno you use and how you are ascertaining the accuracy of the number. If all you're doing is slapping the car on a dyno and saying "oh well this number doesn't look right, therefore it's underrated", you've made a pretty hefty left-turn in logic. If you actually dyno another for reference, then you have a decent case. Don't forget that the way in which power is measured has changed as well. If you want more info regarding this, read the dyno thread linked to in my sig. You'll see the joy that was my dyno and all the arguments that it brought about.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by mezzedupdream
I'm actually new to tuning since I got my '08, but i'm learning. I kind of had a similar question to this in the dyno thread, but what n/a parts would go together to gain hp and not lose it by like you said, just getting all the products from a company?
As I answered in your other thread, it's hard to say. No one really knows. We aren't like the Evo crowd where they have lots more owners trying lots of different things. We have a couple intakes, a couple exhausts, a header and a pulley available. Not exactly the greatest lineup in the world, but there's still been very little testing on how parts work together. Most Lancer owners don't bother with dyno testing.

Originally Posted by Arcanas
At least he speaks English well, and gets his point across very eloquently. I was debating on whether or not I would drive down and get a custom tune, and the way Blacksheep put it, it'd be more efficient to do so, that way they can re-map my ECU to what mods I do have on my car right now.
Thanks!

If you can drive down, you 100% should. I honestly wish I was able to go to Works and get custom tuned, but Ohio to Cali is quite a road trip.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Wow didn't think my name would come up here. As Doug said, I had literally every bolt-on part and even went as far as getting motor work (10:1 pistons) done and I still only gained 5 whp. I lost 3 wtq to get that and my dyno map was nearly the same as a stock car. You can't simply sit back and add up the numbers given to you by a manufacturer, I'm sorry but that's ricer math. You're not going to gain 30 hp with bolt-on parts, that's blind optimism. Whether the car is underrated is debatable, it depends on what dyno you use and how you are ascertaining the accuracy of the number. If all you're doing is slapping the car on a dyno and saying "oh well this number doesn't look right, therefore it's underrated", you've made a pretty hefty left-turn in logic. If you actually dyno another for reference, then you have a decent case. Don't forget that the way in which power is measured has changed as well. If you want more info regarding this, read the dyno thread linked to in my sig. You'll see the joy that was my dyno and all the arguments that it brought about.

Have you had it tuned yet?

and let me get this straight. You dumped how much money and got 5hp? No saying its you. I'm thinking there are A) some bull**** manufacturers who are taking our money and B) The whole argument about "F the lancer and get a Ralliart / EVO " is starting to make real sense. Blowing money on Dynos, BS parts, and losing a warranty could be remedied with the right car in the first place.

I was at the dealer today filling out the paperwork for an EVO.

Then again its still too early to judge the potential. I have high hopes that WORKS will provide the missing piece of the puzzle.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by elpoole
Have you had it tuned yet?

and let me get this straight. You dumped how much money and got 5hp? No saying its you. I'm thinking there are A) some bull**** manufacturers who are taking our money and B) The whole argument about "F the lancer and get a Ralliart / EVO " is starting to make real sense. Blowing money on Dynos, BS parts, and losing a warranty could be remedied with the right car in the first place.

I was at the dealer today filling out the paperwork for an EVO.

Then again its still too early to judge the potential. I have high hopes that WORKS will provide the missing piece of the puzzle.
No, he sold it and got a WRX.

It was a couple grand, as I recall.

Yeah, if you want a fast car, buy one. It's definitely the smart way to do it. Easier too.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I probably had close to 5000$ in parts and labor. As you can see in my profile, I don't own the car anymore. Tuning would have resulted in more power but considering how similar the stock dyno plot was to the modified plot, I doubt it would have enough to justify the money spent.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 01:58 PM
Account Disabled

thats pretty crazy..and the way that the turbo is looking on the CVT i might be better off going with a RA or An EVO..

i got a business starting off with some rich kid from cali in the summer..if everything goes right i can be making 42k a month i really hope it works..

if that happends ill def go with an MR
Old Apr 23, 2008, 02:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

making half a mill in a year... buy a ferarri...

Last edited by krnkimchi702; Apr 23, 2008 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: WORKS Brain Flash for '08 Lancer