Notices

02' OZ Rally Upgrades?

Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt
You are not going to make big power without a turbo. Here is my best advice after spending five years in a Lancer. Upgrade your suspension. Coilovers. Swaybars. Endlinks. Better tires. Go enjoy some nice twisty roads or even autocross it. The one thing I miss about my old Lancer is how good it did handle. And yes, it did handle better than my WRX I currently drive.
Yeah Everyone says Turbo or nothing. Yeah it handles like could be a good suspension car. So Basically the OZ is Made for looks and Drifting?
-Andy
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:43 PM

Looks.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by khmerguyx
Yea I was going for power at one point but gave up since it will cost way too much to power it. All I have is an exhaust and intake. I was going to add headers and a high flow cat but didn't think it was worth it unless you got a turbo and even still you probably will only make a little over 200hp. Im just saving for an evo now
Yeah I'm looking at the pricing it would take to make it have power. So I'm not doing much To the performance part, but more the looks and sound. Yeah Ill start saving up for a Evo I should be able to get it when I turn like 25 or something, Ill wait 8 or more years before I get one. Lmao.
Thanks,
-Andy!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by coollol123
So Basically the OZ is Made for looks and Drifting?
LOL! you can't drift FWD, it's called understeer
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah Everyone says Turbo or nothing. Yeah it handles like could be a good suspension car. So Basically the OZ is Made for looks and Drifting?
-Andy
Drifting? Who said this car is made for drifting?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

lol
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
LOL! you can't drift FWD, it's called understeer
OH Damn that's right! Crap, That's lame...
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kurt
Drifting? Who said this car is made for drifting?
My Bad I tweeked, I forgot my OZ was FWD..
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
-Andy
It was made for economy. With some mods, it can look pretty good and handle decently. It was never made for drifting, that is the domain of RWD and maybe AWD cars. FWD cars can't drift, they can at best slide.

Look into the Ralliart grill. It was an aftermarket option for the 2002-2003 Lancer and really makes the front end look a lot better. If you have the dough, the Cedia bumper is good too. Both parts are Mitsubishi made so the fitment is perfect. They cost more in the beginning but you won't have to worry about painting, bondo work and all that crap.

If you want power, go turbo or motor swap. Currently there is little to no proof that the NA route is effective. Just the bolt-on route is not but a tune will give you some power. There are people who have done high compression with DOHC head builds, but no dynos yet and no build cost information.

Last edited by ambystom01; Dec 24, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 02:22 PM

I'm hopefully installing a turbo into my 02 Es this summer or over the winter this year. Is it stupid to get M2 racing headers ( megan racing) from eBay for $130 since I'll have to get all new stuff for the turbo? Is the money worth the fun and sound for a year?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, that's a personal call! What kind of question is that? Do we as a collective think it's worth it for you to spend your money on sound for a year? Ask your self is it smart to spend your money on a part you won't use in 6 months or save it for stuff you will need. Just think for a second bro.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kurt is right. The car makes little to no power unless turboed. I have had my 03 OZ for over 8 years now and have loved it. I worked on suspension and rims/tires. I ran tires that only lasted me 8k miles or so on the street but let me have a lot of fun on some country roads and autox'ing. The car handles surprisingly well. Drove my buds new WRX hatch on some twisty roads this past summer and was scared to death around corners.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
@frocker93, save the money for the turbo kit. there is a lot of parts you will want to upgrade and parts you will need that you might not be thinking of. just take that $130 bucks and put it in the turbo fund. but please don't buy a turbo setup off of ebay. lol you will be disappointed and really regret it.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Can you use a cat with that header?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:27 PM

RRM header lets you use the front cat, most others wont.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02' OZ Rally Upgrades?