Notices

Evo Vs. Lancer ALT

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Vs. Lancer ALT

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone knew if my 2003 Lancer ES could use the same alternator as a 2003 Lancer Evo? I've been googling this for last hour but with no luck...
Old May 6, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Lots of views no replies bump
Old May 7, 2012, 08:52 AM

You could probably call the dealer and ask....
Old May 7, 2012, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

I believe they can. The evo ones has a higher amperage. I am guessing you looked it up here in evom. I know at one point it was talked about but don't know which thread it was in.
Old May 7, 2012, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Drew_Kaos
You could probably call the dealer and ask....
Well obviously I can, but I don't really trust the local dealers near my area. Last time I went to them they argued with me that there is no such thing as 2003 Lancer ES, and that only the OZ and Evo were in existent for that year . So excuse me if I don't call them for advice . . .

Originally Posted by slatermvp
I believe they can. The evo ones has a higher amperage. I am guessing you looked it up here in evom. I know at one point it was talked about but don't know which thread it was in.
That's what I thought, so far in all of my research that's what I have gathered. I was thinking about using the EVO alt because of the slightly high amperage.
Old May 8, 2012, 08:37 AM

Oh sorry about that I could call mine and ask if you want, they are very helpful. But What does higher amperage do anyway..
Old May 8, 2012, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew_Kaos
Oh sorry about that I could call mine and ask if you want, they are very helpful. But What does higher amperage do anyway..
Amps is a form of load on a electrical circuit.

Saying an alternator has higher amperage means the capacity it has to run a circuit is greater than a similar unit of lesser amperage rating. Normally we'd call this in the electrical world a wattage rating.

Watts = Amps*Volts

Lets say you have a typical 90 amp alternator and we'll use the typical 12 volt model for a car. Thus we can say the wattage of the device is 90 * 12 or 1080 watts. Lets compare that to a typical hair dryer which is a 1500 watt device but at 120 volts.

Hair Dryer:

1500 watts/ 120 volts = 12.5 amps

Lets just imagine you want to run a hair dryer and found one that runs off 12 volts. The wattage is the same 1500 watts lets find out how large and alternator you need to run this!

1500 watts / 12 volts = 125 amps!

There you have it 125 amp alternator is required to power a hair dryer. Hopefully this exercise enlightens you on the world of watts, amps, and volts and what they mean when you say its a something amp alternator.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Amps is a form of load on a electrical circuit.

Saying an alternator has higher amperage means the capacity it has to run a circuit is greater than a similar unit of lesser amperage rating. Normally we'd call this in the electrical world a wattage rating.

Watts = Amps*Volts

Lets say you have a typical 90 amp alternator and we'll use the typical 12 volt model for a car. Thus we can say the wattage of the device is 90 * 12 or 1080 watts. Lets compare that to a typical hair dryer which is a 1500 watt device but at 120 volts.

Hair Dryer:

1500 watts/ 120 volts = 12.5 amps

Lets just imagine you want to run a hair dryer and found one that runs off 12 volts. The wattage is the same 1500 watts lets find out how large and alternator you need to run this!

1500 watts / 12 volts = 125 amps!

There you have it 125 amp alternator is required to power a hair dryer. Hopefully this exercise enlightens you on the world of watts, amps, and volts and what they mean when you say its a something amp alternator.
I couldn't have said it better myself. . .

So to kind of add on to what RoadSpike just said:

Since I have a sound system (JL audio W7 subwoofer, four components, all being pushed by two amps) It would be better for me to get a "HIGH OUTPUT Alternator". Or you can think of it as one with "more amperage" to grasp the general idea.

No need to apologize brotha! I reread my post, sorry if it came off rude or anything.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Let us know if you still one and how it goes. Like I said I don't remember if it the altenator was installed and if it worked or what. I should work since they seemed like the same size and configuration.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

I just ordered it, I will keep you guys posted and let you know how it goes. I'll also see if I can work on getting a 'how to' going as well cause I couldn't find anything on it...
Old May 10, 2012, 07:43 AM

That would be really cool if you can.