Notices

A little tuning help please?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
rich means more fuel per amount of air, this should not be causing any knock. the tune should not change much between regions, the ECU should have IAT modifiers to compensate.

what color is the smoke?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks greyish and only happens with high revs. Leaning it out on the fuel map seems to have made the smoke stop, so I have to assume it was excess fuel. The car would heavily hesitate and then blow out a cloud of smoke under heavy acceleration.

EDIT: Also I know what rich means and it can and did cause knock. After leaning the high load high RPM area the knock lessened by quite a bit.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 08:33 AM

As far as not changing much between regions. You mean the timing map? I was just looking and if anything I think, while the timing is lower, it is smoother on mine than the stock one. The map labelled Lancer_Original is the ROM pulled directly from my car and that has some very big changes.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should post up your fuel map. I think it may be best to merge some of your load cells so you can add in the higher loads. Loads 10-20-25 are pretty much the same so you may be able to make room there. I would get the fuel map tuned and call it quits. You're not going to see a whole lot of gains while NA. People have dumped 3k in a NA setup and gained 15hp.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dragunbayne
Looks greyish and only happens with high revs. Leaning it out on the fuel map seems to have made the smoke stop, so I have to assume it was excess fuel. The car would heavily hesitate and then blow out a cloud of smoke under heavy acceleration.

EDIT: Also I know what rich means and it can and did cause knock. After leaning the high load high RPM area the knock lessened by quite a bit.

sorry man but rich AFR will NOT cause knock...it needs to be at least combustable, in order to detonate...too much fuel and you'll get misfires, because the mixture is too rich to even catch on fire properly...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
sorry man but rich AFR will NOT cause knock...it needs to be at least combustable, in order to detonate...too much fuel and you'll get misfires, because the mixture is too rich to even catch on fire properly...
OK, would the knock sensor think a misfire is knock? Leaning out the high RPM reduced knock and lessened and even got rid of the smoke. I realized the way I posted may have seemed rude, so I apologize for that. The thing is I understand what you are saying, but I am not so sure what to do with it. So actual feedback would be nice. I understand you don't like the look of my timing map, so please let me know what direction you think I should go to make it better rather than just saying it shouldn't look like that. I've just been pulling timing in the areas where it was knocking and now it doesn't knock.

Last edited by dragunbayne; Aug 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I think you're getting too much fuel. What I would do is stick with the stock timing map and mess with your fuel. Too much fuel can cause it to show as knock. When I first boosted I was getting too much gas in 5th gear and every time I gassed it to speed up I would get a lot of knock counts. It may not be knock but the ecu sees it as knock and pulls timing. You can log "octane level" to see when the ecu starts to pull fuel and timing for knock. Your octane level starts out at 100 and when it thinks its should pull fuel or timing it goes down. Octane level is something to worry about more when you boost. I'm not sure what octane you're running but running 91 or 93 may help you with getting rid of some actual knock.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:59 AM

Jaker, I will get up a screenshot of the fuel map a little later. I know the car won't gain a lot by trying to get a perfect tune, but I will so I would still like to put the work in. I figure it's a good way to learn while I decide what route I want to take with the car. Thanks guys for your help so far!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Ok man. Just post a screen shot of your fuel map.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:38 AM

Attached is a shot of my current fuel map. It does seem pulling fuel is bringing down knock consistently. Any timing I have pulled has been for part throttle knock. I have considered starting to use 93. I ran 93 in my modded and tuned GM 3400, but that made a lot more power than this. 93 should help me get the most out of this little motor for now though. I will add octane level to my logs now too.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

yeah you can pretty much stop logging your ltft but I would leave injector duty cycle on. I'm not seeing the fuel map as well.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:07 PM

Here it is! lol
Attached Thumbnails A little tuning help please?-v2.2-fuel-map.jpg  
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

timing maps look fine, at high RPM you won't be running a lot of timing...i would work more on your fuel maps like jake is saying...although i think you could run a little more timing in the higher rpm, higher load area...(bottom right corner) ignition timing should be a smooth shallow curve, or at least a linear increase with RPM...jumping up and down the way it is, will cause flat spots in your power curve...but then you don't want a lot of timing at high load and low rpm, and you can have a little more with high rpm, and low load, but from top to bottom each column should be increasing, and you would end up with the gradient of color, as seen in this example...

keep in mind this one has the RPM on the x axis, so it increases from left to right...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Aug 5, 2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
timing maps look fine, at high RPM you won't be running a lot of timing...i would work more on your fuel maps like jake is saying...although i think you could run a little more timing in the higher rpm, higher load area...(bottom right corner) ignition timing should be a smooth shallow curve, or at least a linear increase with RPM...jumping up and down the way it is, will cause flat spots in your power curve...
OK, the stock map was a little like that to start, so I just rolled with it. Any suggestions on cleaning it up? Maybe smooth a stock version switch to 93 octane and go from there?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:24 PM

The other thing I need to sort out is the whole thing where I go over 100 load. How do I fix that? Just wait to get the wideband and rescale my MAF, or is there something I can do now?

Quick Reply: A little tuning help please?