Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Thinking of turboing my 03' Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2005, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of turboing my 03' Lancer

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of turboing my Lancer, but I"m not 100% sure I want to do that. First and foremost, I'm not sure if turboing the Lancer would be safe. Doesn't it like break down the engine faster than it would n/a?

My second problem is that I've been looking on this board for weeks trying to understand the whole turbo deal and I'm thinking of parting a kit together piece by piece. My friend Mark @ work owns an 03' Evo and he's soon changing his BOV and Intercooler and he said he'd just give it to me since he doesn't want it laying around his house. Now I'm trying to figure out what other parts would I need for my Lancer to complete the kit? I kno turbo may not be great for my car, especially its an auto, but I just can't stand the slowness! Is it bad to turbo an auto? I use to own a Nissan 300ZX n/a and that was quick enough for me for normal use. But the Lancer...ughhh!

So I'm trying to learn about Turbo. Now from what I see from searching this site, I would need these parts:

turbocharger
intercooler
boost controller
BOV
Wastegate
o2 Housing
Manifold
Downpipe
Pipes?
Coolant and oil lines?
Injectors?

Are there other parts I'm missing? I"ve seen ppl mention piggybacks for their turbos, but i only see it with those that have the Stage 2 RRM turbo kit. I've been trying to find a full list of parts that's included in the RRM stage 1 turbo kit, but I can't find anything in the search. If you guys have free time to reply with suggestion on the parts i'm missing on my list or specific brands of parts i should get to get a decent turbo working, please reply.

I apologize in advance for those that may reply in ridicule. I'm not 100% familiar with the mechanics aspect of cars. I usually deal with the electronics, but merging onto highways is become a hazard for me.

Thanks to all that can help me!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

For one, you might want to check the turbo forum. There are oodles of information posted there about turboing, what to do for turbo, how to turbo, why not to turbo, why turbos are the sons of satan (my logic) etc etc.

For two, there are tons of posts in turbo forum again, listing links that you can learn more about turbos, like auto.howstuffworks.com .... I would learn up on turbo before you take the plunge. Turboing a non-stock-turbo car has its benefits.... and TONS of drawbacks.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EHUnlucky7x9
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of turboing my Lancer, but I"m not 100% sure I want to do that. First and foremost, I'm not sure if turboing the Lancer would be safe. Doesn't it like break down the engine faster than it would n/a?

My second problem is that I've been looking on this board for weeks trying to understand the whole turbo deal and I'm thinking of parting a kit together piece by piece. My friend Mark @ work owns an 03' Evo and he's soon changing his BOV and Intercooler and he said he'd just give it to me since he doesn't want it laying around his house. Now I'm trying to figure out what other parts would I need for my Lancer to complete the kit? I kno turbo may not be great for my car, especially its an auto, but I just can't stand the slowness! Is it bad to turbo an auto? I use to own a Nissan 300ZX n/a and that was quick enough for me for normal use. But the Lancer...ughhh!

So I'm trying to learn about Turbo. Now from what I see from searching this site, I would need these parts:

turbocharger
intercooler
boost controller
BOV
Wastegate
o2 Housing
Manifold
Downpipe
Pipes?
Coolant and oil lines?
Injectors?

Are there other parts I'm missing? I"ve seen ppl mention piggybacks for their turbos, but i only see it with those that have the Stage 2 RRM turbo kit. I've been trying to find a full list of parts that's included in the RRM stage 1 turbo kit, but I can't find anything in the search. If you guys have free time to reply with suggestion on the parts i'm missing on my list or specific brands of parts i should get to get a decent turbo working, please reply.

I apologize in advance for those that may reply in ridicule. I'm not 100% familiar with the mechanics aspect of cars. I usually deal with the electronics, but merging onto highways is become a hazard for me.

Thanks to all that can help me!
The two weakpoints in the engine you will need to address are the pistons and rods. Seeing that your car is an automatic, you may feel the urge to run more boost to make up for the "slowness" you mentioned. Reliability would mean switching to stronger internals for a long lasting turbo engine. You're wanting to piece a kit together. This will mean some custom work with the manifold and piping to connect the exhaust. You will also need to piece together your intercooler piping. I could keep going listing out my thoughts. However, many, many users have taken the approach you want to undertake. Some have succeeded. Most have failed or given up when they realize what they're getting into. Do a bit of searching. If you have some more precise questions about piecing the kit together or a certain type of setup, ask those.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AirQuez
For one, you might want to check the turbo forum. There are oodles of information posted there about turboing, what to do for turbo, how to turbo, why not to turbo, why turbos are the sons of satan (my logic) etc etc.

For two, there are tons of posts in turbo forum again, listing links that you can learn more about turbos, like auto.howstuffworks.com .... I would learn up on turbo before you take the plunge. Turboing a non-stock-turbo car has its benefits.... and TONS of drawbacks.
What he said ^^^
Old Jul 1, 2005, 06:46 PM

So you guys would say my best bet would be to just buy an RRM turbo kit right? Cause that comes with every part I need and I know its a direct bolt on...from what i heard. I don't know anyone personally on this forum that put the turbo kit on themselves. I'm curious, for an auto, (this is for those that have turboed autos) how much hp and torque gains are made with the Stage 1 Turbo kit? Please identify if it is the T28 or the T25 turbo.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 06:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aaaaccck, SEARCH!

your still a noob so we'll forgive you, but i guarantee everyone has asked this question before, look in the aftermarket FI section for a plethora of threads and information

there is also info on RRM's site (roadracemotorsports.com)

and also consider other options besides RRM's kit or even a turbo. Ripp makes a nice supercharger kit for the lancer, and there are a few other turbo kits on the market.

bottom line: do a BUNCH of reading first
Old Jul 1, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreenPsycho
and also consider other options besides RRM's kit or even a turbo. Ripp makes a nice supercharger kit for the lancer, and there are a few other turbo kits on the market.
Supercharger kit? That sounds a bit biased, don't cha think??

j/k - Congrats
Old Jul 1, 2005, 06:59 PM
Account Disabled

psssh, just representing and trying to even out the RRM monopoly
Old Jul 1, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

If you have money and want to save lots of time, just buy RRM turbo kit (Livelyjay on this board is selling his Stage 1 or get a RIPP supercharger kit, or you can build one on your own.

You can check this site out for more info HomeMadeTurbo or just search the Lancer FI forum.

Of course if we modded our cars, the engine life will be shorter, but it all depends on how you treat the car.

Check my sig. for parts (need to buy more though...) You don't really need I/C unless you're going to boost 7+

Last edited by AznFlip; Jul 1, 2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 07:31 PM
Account Disabled

yeah, i was thinking about the engine shorter life thing: really, if anything "dies" i think its cheap/easy enough to replace. what is going to go wrong? worse i can think of is bust a rod or piston
Old Jul 1, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, i was thinking about the engine shorter life thing: really, if anything "dies" i think its cheap/easy enough to replace. what is going to go wrong? worse i can think of is bust a rod or piston
Yeah, the engine cost around 200-700. If you're serious about some mad power, beef up the internals.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled

no doubt. or just push it as far as it goes until it blows, then rebuild and reinforce it
Old Jul 1, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

no doubt. or just push it as far as it goes until it blows, then rebuild and reinforce it
but before you do that, make sure your wallet is full.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

My suggestion is sell the parts your evo buddy is giving you...use the money and drop off the car at RRM...let them handle everything and give you everything you need at a price you can afford.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerlover
My suggestion is sell the parts your evo buddy is giving you...use the money and drop off the car at RRM...let them handle everything and give you everything you need at a price you can afford.
That's not very nice, getting something for free and sell to make your own profit. Unless his friend is too nice that he would let him do that.

Quick Reply: Thinking of turboing my 03' Lancer