Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Mechanical o2 seems to work w/ RRM header!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Non-fouler o2 fix seems to work w/ RRM header so far!

So far I beleive this is working. I installed my RRM header on Monday. My CEL went on after 70 miles of driving. I was expecting this to happen. I had read on this board about the CEL, and how the EVO guys were getting rid of it. They were using 2 18mm spark plug Non-Foulers, drilling out a 1/2 inch hole in one (for the tip of the O2 sensor to fit, and leaving the other as normal. This creates a small chamber for the o2 sensor to get a lower reading than it ould sitting right in the pipe. It sounded pretty universal.....

So i gave it a shot. (I have tried the MIL eliminator, but thats more like an MIL ILLUMINATOR) There is no need to modify anything on the exhaust whatsoever to do this. There is pleny of space and still 1" gap between the top of the o2 sensor(where wires come out) to the chasis of the car. Cost is $4.95 at your local pepboys location. Non Fouler part 42002(alluminum).

I belive it has worked, as this time after reseting the ECU, I have already gone over 200 miles w/ no CEL.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

nice post....good to hear, but i was just planning on turning my cat
Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
nice post....good to hear, but i was just planning on turning my cat
Why turn it? doing so will require that you extend the wires, do some sottering(i cant spell) and require 2 gaskets...

I thought about doing that as well, as it would definately work. on this, all you have to do is disconnect the Cat from the DP to get the O2 censor out, screw the setup in, replace the gasket, and be on your way :-)!

- Andy
Old Sep 24, 2005, 05:17 PM

Ear, did you put the anti fouler on the header or the second cat? i put mine on the header and i haven't seen a CEL yet. does this even matter?
Old Sep 24, 2005, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EarsLikenElf
Why turn it? doing so will require that you extend the wires, do some sottering(i cant spell) and require 2 gaskets...

I thought about doing that as well, as it would definately work. on this, all you have to do is disconnect the Cat from the DP to get the O2 censor out, screw the setup in, replace the gasket, and be on your way :-)!

- Andy
no it shouldnt, there a little plug that where the wired go through, and there is enough slack in the wire to turn the cat, a few people have done so already and no problems.....

from the way you explain things, its the same process except i dont have to worry about taking the sensor out. and extending wires isnt the hardest thing in the world...
Old Sep 24, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chummer-x
Ear, did you put the anti fouler on the header or the second cat? i put mine on the header and i haven't seen a CEL yet. does this even matter?
I would think that would throw a CEL even quicker, as you would be getting even more of a difference between the readings between the first O2 and the 2nd o2. Im supprized if you havnt thrown a Cel yet. The fouler should go on the rear Cat(which is now your only one).

- Andy
Old Sep 24, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

You are absolutely right, the little twist tie thats up there... it will reach definately, make sure you have something to hold the wire away from the heatsheild... dont want to melt those puppies.

- Andy

PS, how did your post make it above mine? wierd

no it shouldnt, there a little plug that where the wired go through, and there is enough slack in the wire to turn the cat, a few people have done so already and no problems.....

from the way you explain things, its the same process except i dont have to worry about taking the sensor out. and extending wires isnt the hardest thing in the world...
Old Sep 24, 2005, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

lol click on the quote button on the left side of the post?
Old Sep 24, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Question

No dude, read what you posted, and look at the time it was posted. It says you replied @ 5:20 pm to a post that was posted @ 5:21 pm. You must have read my mind i guess...

I reread the posts, then realized that I am a complete moron, hence the reason why I never finished high school :-P

- Andy/moron

lol click on the quote button on the left side of the post?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 03:44 PM

ear, i put the fouler on the second cat now my car seem like it wanting to stall. any idea? it was running fine on the header.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

How the hell did you guys get that O2 sensor off? And is there any problem with having the Cel on? (I've had one for some time now, but I knew that it was the O2 thing after the RRM header install)

Fox
Old Sep 25, 2005, 05:27 PM

go to auto zone or pepboy and get the O2 sensor tool i think $9. some people get bad MPG when the cel is on.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

moving the fouler from the front to the rear should not make the car stall. You did not cut any wires or anything right?

- Andy

Originally Posted by chummer-x
ear, i put the fouler on the second cat now my car seem like it wanting to stall. any idea? it was running fine on the header.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

You have to remove the Cat from the down pipe, drop it down, then get it off w/ a wrench. Be carful you are not using the wires to hold up the cat-back. I was able to pay the muffler shop 20 bucks to let me use thier lift. Made it really easy.

There is no problem w/ a CEL, unless you have a problem w/ your car, cuz you will never know about it. The non-fouler fix doesnt fix anything... just tricks the computer, as we "didnt break anything", this way, when your car has an issue other than the 2nd o2, you know its not your header install.

- Andy

Originally Posted by Shingen
How the hell did you guys get that O2 sensor off? And is there any problem with having the Cel on? (I've had one for some time now, but I knew that it was the O2 thing after the RRM header install)

Fox
Old Sep 25, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

This is funny cause I got the two anti foulers awhile ago but I couldn't get the freaken O2 off so I just gave up. I need to get it back on a lift to take the cat off. But what a pain in the butt. That **** is really on there.

Fox

Quick Reply: Mechanical o2 seems to work w/ RRM header!