Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Car surges with AC on

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car surges with AC on

I will be going back to the mitsu dealer next week for a third timer same frekin problem. Here is whats going on.

When I had my ac and I was accelerating the car would pull then back off then pull then back off and so on. So they replaced the IAC and adjusted my idle speed the second time I went in. that seemed to help but it is still doing the same thing just not as noticeable. It only does this with the AC on when I turn the AC off everything seems fine. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can at least try to tell them I think this is the problem. They say they don't see anything wrong and the car is running fine. I am going to take there tech for a drive and show him exactly what it is doing next week.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

when i have the A/C on past 2 i notice there's definitely a lag in the engine picking up and then kind of a surge... it's just normal. it doesn't quite sound like you are describing this same symptom though. i only get one surge until i'm in the next gear.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AC compressor kicks in and draws power away from the motor,common sense.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

it sounds like his car is pulling intermittently... might be a problem with his compressor. this happens to the WAPCE's grand prix and her compressor is shot.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 05:23 PM

See it didn't do this before. I am either thinking the compressor is on its way out since it chirps when it is on but they insist its my belts. Or I think it could be the torque converter locking up and disengaging. I notice it mostly right before the car wants to shift but I lean toards the AC since it only does it when the compressor is on.

I notice this mostly in 2nd-3rd gear not as much in 1st or 3rd-4th

Last edited by FAST RS; Jul 3, 2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

very well could be the compressor, how do your belts look? do you only hear chirping when the compressor is running?

do you get cold air from the AC?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 07:24 PM

I do need to replace my belts I am going to be doing the timing belt this weekend I also got new V belts. Do mitsu dealers have issues with gatorback timing and V belts? The chirping only comes on when I turn on the AC. The air blows cold but at times it will blow hot humid air but the dealer "Cant duplicate the problem"
Old Jul 3, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like it could very well be the compressor. you can always try removing just the AC/power steering belt and see if you still have issues. this will at least nail down the area you are having the issue in be it the belt or the compressor itself.

don't drive too far without the power steering, it's a real PITA if you're not used to it. i had to do it for a month when i had problems with my power steering pulley and tensioner--lame!
Old Jul 7, 2007, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my car was doing the same and it was my ignition coils
Old Jul 7, 2007, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

also don't drive to far without that belt because well, that spins the alternator which charges the battery which provides spark which runs the car... You get what I am saying. But ya, that should definately help isolate the problem.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

the alternator and the power steering/AC belts are two different belts.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 03:24 AM

I changed all the belts and did the timing belt. The timing belt was a PIA but got it done. I will drive it tomorrow see and see if it squeeks if it does i will tell the dealer i did my part and for them to deal with it. I have 2 other cars a 91 camaro and 68 firebird so im not hurting for cars to get me from A to B. I did notice the car ran smoother after i did the belts.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:19 AM

I drove the car around town today and did not notice the surgeing. I think the belt might have been slipping when the AC compressor would come on then when it would grab it would bog the engine down. I also noticed the car runs smooth as hell it feels like it is off when i am idleing at a stop. Now I just need some power in it. At least I wont have to worry about the timing belt now for a few years.
The old belt looked good just had one little crack not bad though.