Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Muffler vs Cat-back or axle back

Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler vs Cat-back or axle back

whats the difference in performance?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Minimal. It's mostly noise (welcome to car modification), but you should see a little more top-end HP.

Catback is generally considered better than axleback (more piping is replaced). On the 2008 Lancer, there's a catalytic converter right near the axle (which means there is no catback/axleback argument).

If you want a number, it's impossible to give. Depends on car, mods, luck, weather, butterflies flapping their wings in Africa, etc. But don't expect much because you're driving a small 2L car.

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Aug 11, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

is that a cat or a resonator? I haven't had a chance to get totally underneath one.

shortly after I get mine.. I can garuntee it'll be short order before I have a custom exhuast bent up and installed under it.

kinda thinkin I might look seriously at redoing it from the manifold back, no cats, simulator on the after cat 02... 2.5 inch should suit all my needs

ofcourse I'll wait till I see it... I might just splice peices in. or gut em... which ever.

anyways... as for which is better... at the MOMENT on the lancer itself... the 'axle backs' on the market will give more of a gain from the weight loss then anything..

unless ofcourse you've got some decently serious modifications done like a header, full intake type stuff (TB, manifold work, etc) cams... headwork... after this type of stuff will you actually see a 'decent' or 'worthwhile' gain from any full exhaust work

for right now just getting rid of that bigg *** pancake muffler under the trunk will do nicely the sound chance is purely a preference thing, personally I can't stand the sound/tones the canister type mufflers give, so... I'm doing something different
Old Aug 20, 2007, 02:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have heard that it's a cat. I haven't popped off the exhaust to check, so I'm trusting what I hear.

Yeah, part of me just wants to get rid of the evil pancake. The HP concerns are secondary.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Rob says its a cat. I trust him over most others on here.