Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Pulstar Spark Plugs > Preview > Review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
IMO people are taking these plugs way too seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if they increased performance slightly due to a timing effect (ie. they indirectly advance the timing) but they're not some godsend that requires a dissertation to figure out. As for the ECU compensating for them, that's entirely possible as well; I'm not sure how sensitive the ECU is in regards to perceived knock or timing advances and how it deals with these things.
On the same token, we finally have people seriously analyzing HOW the 08 Lancer works and putting serious thought into it. Let's not be negative about that. I prefer people actually thinking to threads of "how much Hp i gain w/ SRI/CAI" every two seconds...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO people are taking these plugs way too seriously.
they're not some godsend that requires a dissertation to figure out.

I love when a mod says something like this and I agree with it because I know it wont get deleted!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
On the same token, we finally have people seriously analyzing HOW the 08 Lancer works and putting serious thought into it. Let's not be negative about that. I prefer people actually thinking to threads of "how much Hp i gain w/ SRI/CAI" every two seconds...
Yeah that part is really cool. I'm not knocking the philosophy, just the application. If people put this much thought into testing intakes, exhausts, etc., the forum would be a much better place.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

These seem very similar to Nology Hotwires but the capacitor is in the plug itself rather than the wire using the same principle. They came out a few years ago:

http://www.nology.com/hot.html

Back then I wasn't into cars...anyone know what the difference is? Whether the hotwires increased performance? If they were so good, why aren't they standard issue now or big in the aftermarket?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah that part is really cool. I'm not knocking the philosophy, just the application. If people put this much thought into testing intakes, exhausts, etc., the forum would be a much better place.
I fully agree.

I'll probably never both with the Pulstars after the review posted above, but if they are shown to work on the 4B11, I'll consider them in the future.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

i dont think they are taking the plugs to seriously... ecspecially for people who cant do to much to their car because of voiding engine warranties. LIKE ME =D
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by slaker138
i dont think they are taking the plugs to seriously... ecspecially for people who cant do to much to their car because of voiding engine warranties. LIKE ME =D
Spark plugs will not void your warranty. They HAVE to be replaced, and the law says that you can replace the stock ones with any brand you choose. Don't avoid a certain brand just because you think your warranty will be void.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
using the wrong spark plug size will do it. there was a guy here i think that used the wrong size. maybe a long reach one. But then again not sure if thats possible cause technically arent the sizes slightly different. wouldnt screw in?

That said, i dont think we are taking it to seriously.... in some ways i am skeptical myself.... But if the manufacture is willing to throw me a few sets of plugs and tell me to go nuts. why not. Trial by fire, but they are pretty convinced... and when i think about it more. I think that there maybe some synergies here that may provide benefits

Last edited by evo_soul; Mar 27, 2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor

I have been approached by someone who is a very very very green Lancer owner (eco). And was asked to have emissions tests added to the list of things to do for evaluating these plugs.

I am going to contact the government to see if they will bite on this one and let me have a few trials at a reliable facility.

Keep you posted you Green guy you!!!!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:09 PM

would the plugs effect emissions that much say on PZEV cars where it would make a difference?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fusion04
would the plugs effect emissions that much say on PZEV cars where it would make a difference?
that is a good question. I would say yes, but not to the degree that would be detectable. From my understanding of the plugs. in a average car, lets say one that has some years on it, the difference should be very easy to spot. With a new car, well if it produces like 25 ppm of XYZ pollutant out of a limit of 150 ppm and it drops to 10 ppm consistantly. in back and forth tests. then I would say yes it does act cleaner...

I know nothing in depth about emissions so hense why I will tap someone in the government that knows their stuff and can evaluate these with some intellegence.

Sorry I am not as green as I should be. Sometimes I leave the light on at night, or flush twice, after 5 alarm chilli and poker night. War crimes I tell you WAR CRIMES...
Attached Thumbnails Pulstar Spark Plugs > Preview > Review-takataharness.jpg  

Last edited by evo_soul; Mar 27, 2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:44 PM

lol no biggie man i was just curious....

let us know your findings!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Spark plugs will not void your warranty. They HAVE to be replaced, and the law says that you can replace the stock ones with any brand you choose.

i kno thats what i was saying. this parts important to me cause it wont void it and it could pick up gains with it
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:27 AM

Pulstar in my workplace

I work in sales and do the applications testing for a laser engraving mfg'er in Golden, CO. What does this mean? Prospects interested in our product call me to discuss whether our equipment is right for their application, I do the testing, answer their questions, do a report and they work with their local representative on purchasing one of our machines, if it meets their criteria.

Enerpulse, creator of Pulstar spoke to one of my colleagues, sent up 5 sets of their plugs for testing. Application was passed on to me. I was like Pulstar, that sounds familiar, I've seen their ad in Import Tuner, Sport Compact Car etc.

This should be fun. Using our Fiber Laser, I marked the hex sides of the plugs with an 8 digit alpha-numeric text string w/out penatrating the nickel plating.

Their current set-up is stamping the plugs with their ID # using a heavy steel stamping machine. Using a laser, provides a contrasting mark w/o penetrating the nickel plating on the steel.

Anywho; I didn't need all 5 sets to figure out how well our system would mark their plugs. All in all, I have 3 complete sets left(various model #'s). Spoke to the prospect and he was cool with me not returning all of the plugs he sent up. Started looking at their site and wanted to see if any of the plugs they sent would fit any of my cars.
__________________________________________________ _________

I was kinda surprised that my 91 Civic Sedan, my 03' Evo and my co-workers 92 Toyota Pick-up all use the same plug w/ different gapping, BE-1.

So I have a free set and am a little hesitant to put them into my Evo (website states PN is BE-1 with a gap of .025")

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct plug?

Kinda sounds like a risk with the few horror stories floating around this forum.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

from what I remember only horror story I heard was from someone who (it sounds like) installed the wrong size plug, and the plug was struck by the piston. or something to that effect. I just remember the moderate closing the thread due to lack of critical info about the failure.

The two worst things that can happen from previous knowledge and experience from other plugs. Is that the cermic around the center firing node could crack, something famous bosch plugs did, havent heard recent stories (bad lot) .
The second is that you come across the one in a thousand that has a bad circuit in it. In that case you will know right away because if the plug timing is off then it will trigger a code once the mis fire count threshold is tripped, in this second case there is no risk to your car, just the time and effort to take it out, call for a replacement plug wait 5 days install again.

so I would say the risk to your car is almost 0 so long as you are installing the proper plug. I could be wrong but I thought some of the evos used the dg plug (long reach) but hey i could be wrong... or maybe that was the mistake that the other evo user made. oh well just something to keep in mind.

Oh ya and about the .025 I think that is accurate because of the temp of the plug. From what I heard, they are designing a proper temp version of the BE 1 plug specificly to deal with the turbo after market segment.

Quick Reply: Pulstar Spark Plugs > Preview > Review