Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

RRM Test Pipe

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM Test Pipe

So I saw on the LT forum that RRM has the 08 test pipe on their site. I guess they haven't posted it here. Well here's the link... Click here Can we get some info?
Old May 1, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

what kind of info are you looking for? It's a test pipe... it's a section of pipe that replaces the Catalytic Converter...
Old May 1, 2008, 09:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed. Basic "remove the catalytic converter" pipe. Makes your car faster, but also 100% illegal... That's why they have the "for off-road use only" warning.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

I thought I read the cat was welded on our cars so that we wouldn't remove it. I see holes for bolts on that test pipe. I guess that wasn't true.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

how can one tell the difference to know it's illegal? Sound and smog? Is there a an extreme difference in sound? This would automatically just void warranty of course right? What difference in hp would we notice?
Old May 2, 2008, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Just looking under the car will be enough for an officer to know if you have a missing cat or not. A missing Cat WILL make your car FAIL smog tests. Since you're in Cali, you should also know that they have "mobile" test stations that the authorities use from time to time. It will void that wonderful 10yr 100k mile emissions warranty you have on your car, and possibly void the drive train warranty if the service dept can prove the missing cat broke the car.

The exhaust will be louder, though I don't know how much louder. You'll get more HP (nothing huge likely single digit gains) out of the car without the Cat, but given Cali is one of the strictest emissions states in the Union, there's no point in completely removing the Cat from a daily driver. ESPECIALLY, when you can replace it with a hi-flow cat available at any muffler shop and remain "street legal".
Old May 2, 2008, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the cat is welded in. Been under my car a few times... Anyways you want to pollute the world then go ahead and take it out but my opinion keep it in for our children's sakes! Think about it. 7 HP for more pollution?!
Old May 2, 2008, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

hahaha, this one car is not going to put out that much pollution without a cat, he could be running no exaust system at all and it will have no effect on the enviorment. You know how many cars are out there, like old muscle cars and cars burning oil that polute, and your worried about an 08 lancer putting out too much pollution.

I have a 1972 Chevelle SS with a 350 putting out 578HP... talk about pollution... thats where its at, the 5MPG gas milage isnt enviormently friendly either, but screw that.
Old May 2, 2008, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CamShaft
the cat is welded in. Been under my car a few times... Anyways you want to pollute the world then go ahead and take it out but my opinion keep it in for our children's sakes! Think about it. 7 HP for more pollution?!
OK, I don't really get it then. To install this test pipe will we need to saw off our cat and place mounts in order to bolt it up? I really doubt it but that's what I'm understanding by the cat being welded to the car. Can someone clarify this?
Old May 2, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to do this but...

{off topic}
Originally Posted by Khoranic
I have a 1972 Chevelle SS with a 350 putting out 578HP... talk about pollution... thats where its at, the 5MPG gas milage isnt enviormently friendly either, but screw that.
Eh, but do you drive your Chevelle SS daily? I would bet not. That's why you have your Lancer. Classic cars (Muscle cars or otherwise) aren't as big of an issue as you seem to want to make them out to be. They make up less than 5% of the daily driver commuter traffic on the roads. Even if your Muscle car has 10x the exhaust emissions as an average modern car, you're still contributing an extremely minute amount of emissions into the environment compared to the 20 to 30 SUVs on the road that weigh 2 to 3 times more, half the horse power, and just as crappy fuel economy.

Classics can be "clean" and still deliver a fun quotient that no modern car can equal, even without a Cat. Not all classics burn oil, and I can think of at lease 3 classic sports cars that can deliver 30+ MPG, without over drive. With the right engine work, they can compete with modern Miata's/MX5s on a race track.

It's people with your mentality that F'ed over the late 70's (specifically 1976 and up) classic car owners in California. Those car owners are now locked into having their cars smog tested indefinitely, despite the fact that they make up less than 1% of the daily driven cars in this state.

No, "where it's at" is the 4000+ lbs SUVs that have been held to LOWER smog standards than regular cars since governments started regulating vehicular exhaust emissions, despite the fact that since the early 90's there was at least 1 SUV on the road for every car there is. Thankfully, California has started cracking down on SUVs. Unfortunately, the full effect of that "crack down" won't go into full effect until 2012.

Additionally, a Lancer without a Catalytic converter will pollute the environment just as much as ANY properly tune and maintained classic car with 4 banger in it.
{/off topic}

Originally Posted by fuz_dnz
OK, I don't really get it then. To install this test pipe will we need to saw off our cat and place mounts in order to bolt it up? I really doubt it but that's what I'm understanding by the cat being welded to the car. Can someone clarify this?
Basically, yes. You'd have to add a flange to the exhaust pipe so you can bolt the test pipe between the manifold and the rest of the exhaust. If you get this piece of pipe, it would be wise to fit the cat with flanges too, so you can easily switch back and forth for street and track use.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nunyas

Basically, yes. You'd have to add a flange to the exhaust pipe so you can bolt the test pipe between the manifold and the rest of the exhaust. If you get this piece of pipe, it would be wise to fit the cat with flanges too, so you can easily switch back and forth for street and track use.
I hope these flanges are included with the test pipe kit.
Old May 4, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

test pipe + exhaust = *** loud yeah.
In my old mx-3 I was straight pipe with aftermarket exhaust and to give you an idea, at cruise 110km/h on the highway you need to yell to talk to the one sitting next to you.
When you push it 4-8000rpm the car in front of you clearly hear you accelerate.
Really nice sound thoug.
But I wouln't use it anymore without a butterfly gate or something like that to kill the sound when I wanna drive normaly. But that's just me
Old May 4, 2008, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

just so u guys now, test pipe is only for PZEV cars. this deletes the pre cat thats right after the header, so we will still have 1 cat left, A cop would not be able to tell, he'll see the main cat and think nothing. I guess this will bring PZEV guys to fed standards...to a certain extent of course
Old May 4, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chetman7
just so u guys now, test pipe is only for PZEV cars. this deletes the pre cat thats right after the header, so we will still have 1 cat left, A cop would not be able to tell, he'll see the main cat and think nothing. I guess this will bring PZEV guys to fed standards...to a certain extent of course
^ this would make sense, right? but anyways, this would obviously not pass smog right? or would it?
Old May 4, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

hm..... thats the golden question right there, I know nothing about smog tests and stuff, but I ordered it anyways, I'mma install it and see how it goes, worst come to worse, if I can't pass smog, I'll jsut jack it up and swap it off.

Quick Reply: RRM Test Pipe