Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Engine swap for 08 lancer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine swap for 08 lancer

what constitutes what engine will fit in what car?

im the kind of guy who likes to keep something for a long time (my family usually drive our cars for over 12 years before changing it).. but i really hate this engine and i like the body and i think ill keep this car for even 20 years.

what engine will fit in my car?
can i put a bmw 6 cyl? or only a 4 cyl engine?

if i have mods like headers and exhaust.. will that affect the engine swap?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:10 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright lets take apart your post.

You will most likely not keep the car for 20 years. Probably not even the 6 years you have the loan for. As you get older your needs and what you want in a car will change. And you will most likely trade it in.

There is no real reason to do an engine swap in the 08 Lancer. The current engine is pretty decent as is, not to mention it responds well to turbocharging. So that would be your best option for getting more power. It's the same engine as the Evo, just not as beefed up, or turbo'd.

Because there is no need for an engine swap, no one has done it yet. However with enough money you can fit any engine in there you want...that will squeeze into it. I very much doubt your gonna get a BMW engine in there though

Also your car already has a 4cylinder engine.

If you swap your engine, than any mods, like headers or exhaust won't fit the new engine....because they are designed for the 4B11/4B12 whichever it is you have.

It's pretty obvious you don't know a whole lot about cars or engines. So i suggest buying some books, or jumping on google and doing a lot of research and reading

Last edited by crypto; Feb 10, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
If you wanted to go through the hassle....maybe a 4g63 older model from the Eclipse GS-T (FWD model) or a honda engine (but why)....your best bet is probably what ~crypto~ just stated. Turbo charge the engine you already have...bore it out, port it....stroke it and then pet it
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:33 PM

lets take your reply apart

"You will most likely not keep the car for 20 years. Probably not even the 6 years you have the loan for. As you get older your needs and what you want in a car will change. And you will most likely trade it in".

the car was paid in cash not loaned..where did u get 6 year loan from? my objective is to keep my car for as long as i can to lower my amortization against time. this car is a daily driver.

"There is no real reason to do an engine swap in the 08 Lancer. The current engine is pretty decent as is, not to mention it responds well to turbocharging. So that would be your best option for getting more power. It's the same engine as the Evo, just not as beefed up, or turbo'd".

the engine is terrible in the winter with many No Starts. and the car shut off on me while driving.. i took it to mistu and they could not duplicate the problem. maybe its wiring or something else.. but i personally dont like the engine compared to my honda B16a2 (10 year old car btw)

i dont want to turbo the car because N/A is best (no headaches) and there really isn't a point to turbo this lancer. its a waste of money and warranty (10 years or 160k km)

"Because there is no need for an engine swap, no one has done it yet. However with enough money you can fit any engine in there you want...that will squeeze into it. I very much doubt your gonna get a BMW engine in there though

Also your car already has a 4cylinder engine".

i never asked if i should fit another 4 cyl. i asked if i can ONLy fit a 4 cyl because my intentions are for a 6 cyl

"If you swap your engine, than any mods, like headers or exhaust won't fit the new engine....because they are designed for the 4B11/4B12 whichever it is you have".

"It's pretty obvious you don't know a whole lot about cars or engines. So i suggest buying some books, or jumping on google and doing a lot of research and reading"

i actually do know quite a bit about engines but im not a mechanic and i dont have any experience with engine swaps which is why i am asking on a forum that is related to my car. and i think my question is very valid when people on this forum questions if a turbo will void warranty.

Last edited by smoke; Feb 10, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:14 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by smoke
lets take your reply apart

the car was paid in cash not loaned..where did u get 6 year loan from? my objective is to keep my car for as long as i can to lower my amortization against time. this car is a daily driver.

the engine is terrible in the winter with many No Starts. and the car shut off on me while driving.. i took it to mistu and they could not duplicate the problem. maybe its wiring or something else.. but i personally dont like the engine compared to my honda B16a2 (10 year old car btw)

i dont want to turbo the car because N/A is best (no headaches) and there really isn't a point to turbo this lancer. its a waste of money and warranty (10 years or 160k km)

i never asked if i should fit another 4 cyl. i asked if i can ONLy fit a 4 cyl because my intentions are for a 6 cyl

i actually do know quite a bit about engines but im not a mechanic and i dont have any experience with engine swaps which is why i am asking on a forum that is related to my car. and i think my question is very valid when people on this forum questions if a turbo will void warranty.
well if the car is a daily driver you certainly don't want to be swapping out the engine. It's not exactly a weekend project.
Also if you do an engine swap it's gonna void your warranty just like a turbo would.

If you don't like the engine in your lancer you shouldn't have bought a lancer. If you are having problems then take it in and have it fixed, that's the whole point of a warranty. A cold start issue is hardly a reason to justify swapping out the entire engine.

If performance isn't your goal then an engine swap isn't gonna make it any more reliable. In fact it will be just the opposite, an engine swap on the lancer isn't the same as on a honda. It's significantly more expensive and a lot more work. You are going to have a tonne of unexpected problems and issues.
You're gonna have a million more issues with an engine swap then you ever would with a turbo kit on the existing engine.

I'm just not really understanding your logic behind wanting to swap out the engine. "i don't like it" is pretty vague and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a brand new car if you don't like the engine, saying as that's kind of the essential component of a vehicle.

and sorry, but it still seems to me that you don't know a whole lot about engine work. Comments like "N/A is best (no headaches)" when considering engine swaps is pretty naive, and asking if you can keep mods when you switch out the engines is pretty basic stuff. You need to do a LOT of research and reading before even asking about this stuff on the forums.
There's no sense in asking about a project you will most likely never do, especially when you figure out the time and money that will be involved.

please don't take what i'm saying the wrong way. It's nothing personal, and I'm not flaming you. I just see a lot of people come on the forums with unrealistic expectations of what they want from their car, or begin projects only to realize half way through they are in over their heads. I don't want to see you waste your time and money on a pointless, unrealistic project like swapping out your engine.
Unless you have thousands of $$$ laying around, it's just not gonna happen.

Last edited by crypto; Feb 10, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe a small 6 will fit, but then again I'm not a "mechanic" mechanic either......if it was a BMW engine you'd have to change the drivetrain as well to RWD...
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

did anyone compared a 4g63 to a 4b11 ? ( blots paterns and stuff )
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

why are we even talking about this!?!? i mean even if he did have the money for this, it would be better spent on a weekend trip to vegas... seriously.. nothing good will come out of this. if he did have enough money to do an engine swap, he might as well sell it privately and get a ralliart or an evo...
also, did the op not test drive the car!?!?! i mean if your family keeps cars for a long time you would think you would notice the power of the engine....
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by billylancer
did anyone compared a 4g63 to a 4b11 ? ( blots paterns and stuff )
it's not a "straight swap" put it that way. The dimensions are all different, you'd need a new drive train etc etc.
Swapping an Evo 8/9 engine, you might as well be swapping in a monster truck engine
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:38 PM

im sure an engine swap would void warranty too
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor

Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

then I'll keep my 03 LANCER witch is going to be swaped !
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Mo' money, Mo' money, Mo' money......$$$$$...cha-ching!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

money is not a issue , 5 K for engine 1.5 K for fitting .
less than a new car , as long that it's under 10 K I'm in !

edit : my car as around 60 K

Last edited by billylancer; Feb 10, 2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: strudels
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

im not a engine guy but its kinda pointless to swap the engine,the 4b11 has alot of potential you just gotta have the $$$$ for it,especially as the years go on and more mods come out for it

Quick Reply: Engine swap for 08 lancer