Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

idle problem, please help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idle problem, please help

I have a CEL and i got it checked out at autozone and it says "BBIdle control system RPM higher than expected. Probable cause:
BB1- large vacuum leak on engine
BB2- throttle body dirty
BB3 faulty IAC valve/throttle body"

so i just installed the magnaflow catback but i'm prettttty sure thats not it. even on warm starts it idles at 2k then at like 1.2k rpm. its causing bad gas mileage too. i do have the 4g93 IM and my PCV vacuum hose is T'd into the breather hose on the right side of the crank case that is hooked up to the intake, would this cause my throttle body to get all nasty and cause the high idle? if thats it would the remedy be a catch can? cuz i'm not sure what they are exactly. what you guys think??

thanks my lancer brethern
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:16 PM

I have the 93 IM too, make sure its not leaking and adjust your idle screw on top of the TB
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

the IM has been on there for several monthes with no previous problems. could my idle actuator be broken? i cleaned my TB and reset it and stuff and put higher octane gas to try and get it all good but it did not help. it idles even stranger. like when you come to a stop light after driving it the idle dips and then goes back up several times then idles at like 1.4k. i did take the acutator, "atleast that's what i think it is" off to examine it. i don't think i could have put it back on wrong.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
PCV valve should NOT be tee'd into the breather line. It goes from the PCV to the intake manifold. And the breather line only goes back into the intake tract pre-throttle body, to a catch can or just put a breather filter on it. This is indeed causing the intake tract to be extra dirty on your engine. See the diagram.

I also recommend giving your throttle body, ISC, intake manifold, EGR valve and other intake components a very thorough cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails idle problem, please help-capture.png  
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

okay well i did give the throttle body a cleaning with some brakekleen. i think you had a typo, so a catch can would be a good thing to add? and it still idles high
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

almost fixed

i fixed the idle problem by messing with the idle control screw on top of the TB. i still haven't redone my vacuum hoses cuz i don't know how they are supposed to go. i'll take a picture. there isn't a place to put the pcv hose on the IM on my 4g93 one.