Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Anyone changed their own coolant yet?

Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone changed their own coolant yet?

Although I'm 20K miles away from the 60K service, I just noticed that the 60K service calls for a coolant change. I've done all my maintenance myself, and I plan on doing the 60K myself when the time comes. Changing coolant is generally pretty straightforward, but sometimes it can get a bit tricky. For example, on the Porsche 944 I used to have, I never would have found the engine block drain plug if someone hadn't shown me where it was. Any strange tricks on a 2008 Lancer?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

It's pretty easy on the lancer, I've had to do soo much work on the cooling system in this car and I haven't ran into any problems yet. Other than coolant randomly disappearing. There aren't any leaks, I did a pressure test plus you can't see any leaks or drips on the ground. The head gasket isnt broken because I've been refilling the radiator for months and there isn't any coolant in the oil, no weird burning smells, and its been over 5,000 miles of driving like this. It looks like to me all the coolant is going into the reservoir until that gets full, but then i open the radiator cap and pour more in and it takes like 1/4th to 1/2 a gallon of more coolant. I can't figure it out for the life of me...
Old Jan 8, 2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your cooling system probably isn't entirely full which is why you are noticing coolant randomly "disappearing". When you don't use a flush machine to exchange the coolant and simply drain it out and refill it, there are tons of air pockets that are introduced. Luckily we have a flush machine at work but whenever I do a coolant flush, I always let the vehicle run with the rad cap off and "burp" the system with the upper rad hose to try and get as much air out as I can. You'll never get it all but over time the rest of the air will come out as your drive, which is why the overflow container will go down and you'll have to fill it a bit. Always remember to keep the overflow container full as that is what the rad takes from when it becomes low.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:11 PM

It's hard to see the drain plug from the top.
(*) Try take off the air inlet snorkel, and radiator cover. It's easier to see it this way. OR
(*) Try to look from the front grille.

The drain plug is at lower-left conner (as you're facing the front). It's facing outward from the engine.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Aqua, I assume you're talking about the radiator drain plug. Is that correct?

I'm guessing there is also a coolant drain plug on the engine block. Can anyone describe where that is?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only drain port is on the radiator. Unless you are facing uphill when draining, you won't have to take any hoses or plugs out of the block.

Step 1, Drain into a suitable bucket, and dispose of properly.

Step 2, Fill with water and run for 5 mins

Step 3, Drain water, fill with recommended long life antifreeze, run with A\c off until normal operating temp, let cool, check level and top up as necessary.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone know how much coolant our cars hold? I just want to compare stock to the mishimoto radiator, ive almost finished adding my 5th or 6th (can't remember) gallon over the course of 3 or 4 months.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 04:44 PM

i just popped the lower hose on the radiotor and drained it. never really measured how much to put in. i just do it often enough were it dont need to completely do a full drain.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by pOOshy
i just popped the lower hose on the radiotor and drained it. never really measured how much to put in. i just do it often enough were it dont need to completely do a full drain.
Can I ask why you change your coolant so often?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 01:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redstang69
Can I ask why you change your coolant so often?
We do have LONG LIFE coolant from factory which only requires changing every 120k miles. I still flushed my radiator and refilled with Prestone 50/50 Long Life coolant(green) to see if I had any rust starting. I had a very, very small amount of rust particles so I think every 100K would be just fine to do a change. Unless you are beating your car, Live where it's -20+ in winter or 110+ in summers then I'd change every 30K.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

The Mitsubishi service manual that came with my car calls for changing the coolant every 60K miles. I decided to follow the service manual schedule while the car was under warranty. I did all the service myself, and I kept receipts for all supplies as documentation. Although I'm past 100K now, I've kept on the schedule.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just like the CVT fluid change, now Mitsubishi has upped the coolant change intervals. Look up the Newer service schedules for 2013+ lancers even though same trans in a 2013 as 2008 and same radiator and coolant.