Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

grounding kit??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2003, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grounding kit??

I was wondering if a grounding kit was worth it, and if so what kind should i get?
Old Oct 28, 2003, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

look and you will find.

Many have made their own grounding kits at a small cost.
I made one for my friend, he said his lights are brighter and that the power band is much smoother.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:54 AM

i got roughly the same results with the SUN Auto kit i bought at my dealership.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 07:50 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have yet to see an explanation on how a grounding kit will actually give your car better performance... well, at leats not one that made sense to me. But someone told me they do increase performance if they follow the right sequence. As to what that sequence is, or if there are more than one right answer, I dunno. That's why if I get a grounding kit, I'd just get one of those ebay or homemade kits and be happy that if I don't gain anything, at least I only wasted $30 as opposed to $100+ but that's just my opinion.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Lemme see if I can't find the thread where someone gives a really detailed explaination of it.

Tim is the illest.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Oct 29, 2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

I understand that the grounding kit allows a much more effecient transfer of electricity, but I don't know about power gains. I know someone has bound to have put together a Dyno chart comparing the two, but I can't imagine a significant gain. Someone prove me wrong.

Jason
Old Oct 29, 2003, 09:08 PM

thanks for all of your help guys
Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jason33hs
I understand that the grounding kit allows a much more effecient transfer of electricity, but I don't know about power gains. I know someone has bound to have put together a Dyno chart comparing the two, but I can't imagine a significant gain. Someone prove me wrong.

Jason
It's gonna be like spark plugs and wires, both in reasons for gain and in amount gained.

Like you said, more efficient energy transfer doesn't necessarily give you gains. It's more like recovering what's normally lost. As for how much is gained back, it's gonna be negligible if anything.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:09 PM
Account Disabled

guess it depends on how much gain you expect right? I would say anything that improves gas milage, small HP gains, and a better electical system is worth it. If it helped you gain 2 mpg per tank, the mod would pay for itself in a year.

The only thing that makes me believe this works is the fact that it was developed by WRC Race Teams. I've said this before, top race teams don't use things that don't work. At the level they race at even a modest 5Hp gain is worth the cost.

One last thing. Short of doing a complete engine overhaul, if I can ad parts to make the car more efficient and run better, and maybe even stronger, without having to tear it apart, that is a great buy.

BTW, I am a Hyperground dealer. you can check a post I have in U.S. Lancer for more info.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:24 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Jason33hs. Do you realize that the car doesn't even use the batter while it is running? It runs off the alternator, and the engine provides the power to the alternator. The engine has the horsepower, not the electrical system. So short of having a more accurate or powerful spark in the spark plugs, I don't see where any of this grounding provides anything more than a clearer stereo system. Yeah, I read that thread, but it still doesn't convince me. My understanding is that the car was designed to operate with the resistance that the electrical system causes, so any larger wires would just be providing energy that the electrical system may not need anyway. But ayway, I guess having a stronger spark will help... a little.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:54 PM

yeah... i was already lookin at the hyperground wires. I will probably buy them, even if gains are minimal to none, it is still piece of mind. I know that it wont do any harm to the engine either, so what the hell.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 06:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It'll probably be a while before I get mine, but I'm more interested in a stable electrical current. My wiring is royally fux0red after having so much **** moved and changed on my car.

Todd, do you know how many ground points they change with the kit or do they use mostly stock ground points? I heard that was one of the points they used to increase the efficiency of the grounds, but I haven't seen any changes in the few pics I've seen.

Anyway, I don't think the main point of better grounds is more hp so much as it is prolonging and reclaiming lost inefficiency in the electrical system. The couple hp you may gain from it is just a side benefit (at least in my eyes).
Old Oct 30, 2003, 06:48 AM
Account Disabled

Urban, that is not completly true. The car does run off the battery. I can't explain why but here is a quick story. I had an old LeBaron, (college care) It started really running bad and hard to start. I knew to fix the starting problem I needed a new battery. Once the new battery was installed, WOW! The car ran so much better. I mean it was like night and day. I just thought I'd would help with those things that were "electrical" which it did, but it did sooooo much more. Plus, if you pull the battery out of a race car, it will cease to run. They have to run in tandem. An alternator won't put out as much electricity as the car needs to operate, it works in conjuction with the battery. Ignition, spark, radio, heater/A/C fan, lights, electric motor fan, and etc.... All put a load on the engine

I'll ask my parnter at work, the shop I work at used to be an Auto Electric repair shop. He knows all this stuff. But needless to say, it is a bit simplistic to think the car just runs off the alternator, especially now .
Old Oct 30, 2003, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

The battery, in some cars, is a vital part of the electrical system. Without it, the circuit is incomplete. I can recall that older Fords would not run without the battery connected, but GM's would. Granted, we are talking about late 70's/early 80's domestics, which were horrible cars anyway, but that is another story. Modern cars with all the electronic controls need a stable DC power source and the battery supplies that at lower RPM's.

Jason
Old Oct 30, 2003, 09:34 AM

yes, a car can run without a battery. it does need it initially to start, but if the car has a good altenator, it will usually run without the battery

Quick Reply: grounding kit??