Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

02 Lancer OZ Rally? Potential??

Old Aug 1, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Lancer OZ Rally? Potential??

Here's the scoop. I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer. The only mods I have done to it are Kamikaze Headers, RRM Test Pipe, Greddy Exhaust, Injen Intake, and Tein Springs.

Well... with these mods, I have been able to take on or keep up with a turboed Dodge Neon(not SRT4), a not so stock Eclipse GSX, a turboed Lancer, Mazda Speed 5, the new Pontiac Bonneville, and Golf GTi. hmmmmm....

At first, I was stunned and thought there weren't trying or something, but these little races go on for almost 30min or longer. These are few of the cars I encounter on my frequent trips up to my friend's lake house.

So, what I'm wondering is, is it worth turboing my car? My next mods I plan on doing are Aluminum Flywheel, Stage 2 Clutch, Bored Throttle bodies, Bored intake manifold, Reflashed ECU, and bigger brakes .

Leave me some opinions.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Depends entirely on what you want out of your car, if you want all out speed at any cost, turbo is perfect. On the other hand, if you simply want a faster, but still economical car, staying NA is a better idea. Personally I don't want to dump 6000$+ into my lancer on improving one area, but thats just me.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Personally I don't want to dump 6000$+ into my lancer on improving one area, but thats just me.
+1. i dont see dumping that much into my car, (though i have really debated it many times) i think its plenty quick for now, besides ill be getting a new car within the next couple of years. going FI on a NA car can cause many more problems to arise. its up to you what you want to get out of your lancer, if you want it to be faster, the best way to do so is to go FI.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

alright. NA it is. Turbo sounded great, but i don't got 5g's to spend. oh well. Not to mention, I heard the most you can get out of a turbo Lancer is almost 260 whp.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

^^^you can produce more, it will just cost a lot more than 5G. RRM made 290whp and 325wtq in their OZ rally. speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

I want to say about 100 whp less than RRM's
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You won't make 190 whp NA. I've been caught in this debate for sometime. I reached a point where I could either start getting hard core NA mods like a Stage 1 Cam, flywheel etc.. or I could start piecing together my own custom turbo kit. There are several members on here who are piecing together their own turbo kits for under $2000. Cheapeast I've seen so far is $1280 (doesn't include tuning). This has inspired me to go FI. I want to do it all myself. I love learning and this will definately help. I know it won't be easy - infact I'm positive it will be a pain in the buttocks, and I even think "What the heck am I doing!" but I will stick withit. Good luck on whatever you decide to do
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

i was debating wether or not to get a turbo also, but i dont have that kinda money to spend either, whats the best things to get to have a faster NA car?
Old Aug 1, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Well the obvious things of intake, bored TB and IM, header, exhaust, fuel rail, ecu (piggyback or reflash), stage 1-4 cam (depending on how serious you are and what your using the car for), upgraded clutch and maybe flywheel, suspension, sticky tires, lightweight rims, port and polished head, high compression pistons, upgraded rods, and I'm sure there are things I've missed out or never heard of.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

all of that applicable for an auto? i have the intake, catback, light weight rims, and tires with no rubber.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Well the clutch and flywheel are manual only.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

ahh thought so... u think RRM ecu is something to be bought too? whats the next thing i should put on my list? Auto ES, with Intake, Catback, Rims & tires... whats next? IYO
Old Aug 1, 2005, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Depends, the RRM piggyback is great if you live somewhere warm, and don't plan on doing cam work, piston work, etc.. If you really want the highest performance possible you want either a full standalone, like the AEM EMS, or a piggyback like the e-manage that can be tuned specifically for the mods you have. Next thing that should be done is a header, whether its kamikaze, RRM or RPW.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

can i have some vendor names/web sites? that would help me out alot, and i dont feel like searching at 2:30 am
Old Aug 1, 2005, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

RRM-http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Works-http://www.worksevo.com/
Vivid-http://vividracing.com/catalog/
Tirerack-http://www.tirerack.com/
RPW-http://www.rpw.com.au/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 Lancer OZ Rally? Potential??