Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

P0421 Recall Over 100k What Can I Do?

Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0421 Recall Over 100k What Can I Do?

2002 Lancer OZ
134K miles
K&N Typhoon Intake
Exhaust System (Unknown)

Ok guys, I bought my lancer with 103k miles on it and a few thousand miles after I got the following codes;
Code:
P0421 is Warm up catalytic converter efficencey below threshold cylinders 1-4

P0135 is Heated oxygen sensor - bank 1 sensor 1 (H02s11) heater performance
I've put 30k miles on it since these codes first started to appear, I finally have some time to work on the car and now I'm wanting to tackle these codes. From my research there is a catalytic converter problem that causes these codes thats under recall. However, I've heard that the recall is only good for 100k miles. Has anyone had any experiences with getting the recall work done in a lancer with over 100k miles?

I live in Texas and have had the car inspected even with the check engine light on. From my research the problems I'm experiencing don't seem completely critical. Do I run any risk of damaging my car by continuing to drive it with these problems?

I'm trying to take better care of my car and would like to be notified if another code pops up. I obviously, can't tell if a new code emerges because the CEL is constantly on. Is there anyways I can tell the car to not worry about these codes? Is there anyway to not make these problems turn the CEL on?

Lastly, since I purchased the car 2 years ago I was not aware of the recall which has ended up being a PITA. Is there anyway I can register my address with Mitsubishi so they will send me any recall or another critical information?

Thanks guys!
-Michael
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:00 AM

I had this same problem at 105k miles. The stealership crapped all over me and didn't even give me a conversation, they just said no. So I went header, straight pipe, and exhaust on their asses lol (my cars had a check engine light ever since im at 180k miles). As far as I know the only way to make the codes go away is to fix the problem. You can buy a cheepy code reader and check the codes every now and then or when your cars acting funny. Other than that, just fix it :/
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

you could do what he did ^ but add this to not have the cel come on http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...77ff089a63ceaf
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Autozone can clear codes. I don't know if they would do it for you. I had them look at mine and they cleared them for me for free. It wont do any damage to the engine par se but I wasnt aware you could pass inspection with your cel on. It just an emissions problem. And yea. get rrm cel eliminator. That should fix the problem. and if not then you will need another catalytic convertor or header.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:12 PM

02 Mitsubishi Lancer PO421 problem

Hey does anyone know what CritterDumpness mean by "header, straight pipe,and exhaust", and how is this done? And will it have a problem passing smog?

Last edited by AlexN93; Oct 19, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by link62
you could do what he did ^ but add this to not have the cel come on http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...77ff089a63ceaf

So by buying that the code P0421 code will go away and I cam paas inspection?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me be really clear.

It is illegal to run a car straight pipes with no cats. You can get the CEL to go away with extenders and what not.

If you want it to be CORRECT, you are going to have to buy a new Front CAT/header combo and O2 sensor.

This is going to run you about $350 and 3-6 hrs of your time.

Then and ONLY then will you be able to pass inspection and not have to worry.

You do not get a performance gain from going straight pipe and header.

Do it the right way the first time and enjoy many more years out of your car.

EDIT: I had this same code, I replaced JUST the O2 sensor, and reset the CEL. Never came back on.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am currently dealing with the p0135

from my research, the recall is EMR 05001 Rev II

you can call the dealer and ask, they can run your vin number... I called my dealer and asked them, they ran my vin number and said it was done on my car @ 34k in 2007

my vehicle is currently at 103k.... I bought it with 94k back in May

looks like the only thing is to replace the upper cat and 02 sensor

just an fyi, my vehicle does have a sticker under the hood saying that the recall was performed

I have a pdf version of the recall if you want me to send it to you
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

ok revisiting this a little bit

I have a p0135 which is the heater circuit of my first o2 sensor

how can I test that this is actually an issue with the o2 sensor versus a wiring issue with my vehicle? is there a way to test the o2 sensor from the pins on it? or on the vehicle itself? my code reader can read live data stream off the o2 sensors

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

I don't want to change out the o2 sensor and still have the issue, but if I can test it, and indeed tell it is the o2 sensor, then I will change it
Old Nov 19, 2014, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Look on youtube. You can check them with a blow torch and a multimeter
Old Mar 2, 2015, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

finally replaced the o2 sensor.....

have put 431 miles on it over the course of like 5-6 days and the light has not come back, all the I/M checks come back as OK, there are no stored codes, no pending codes and no check engine light

vehicle has had at least 15 on/off cycles, and at least 4-5 freeway trips

HOPEFULLY, this is fixed

currently @ 110474 mi

I used a no name, $19 sensor off ebay
Old Mar 3, 2015, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo74
finally replaced the o2 sensor.....

have put 431 miles on it over the course of like 5-6 days and the light has not come back, all the I/M checks come back as OK, there are no stored codes, no pending codes and no check engine light

vehicle has had at least 15 on/off cycles, and at least 4-5 freeway trips

HOPEFULLY, this is fixed

currently @ 110474 mi

I used a no name, $19 sensor off ebay
That ebay sensor might not last very long but at least you will know that that's your problem and buy an oem sensor next time to make sure it lasts!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by marcouxa1
That ebay sensor might not last very long but at least you will know that that's your problem and buy an oem sensor next time to make sure it lasts!
Mehhh I got around 40k miles on my cheap o2 sensors. Still rolling lol
Old Mar 3, 2015, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, I know about the O2 sensors, but my wife didn't want to toss any $ at the CEL as history shows that it's just going to come back on in a week.....

I had originally planned to get the NGK (NTK) sensor, or a Denso sensor

If/when this one fails, I will get a quality one
Old Mar 11, 2015, 01:13 PM

Spark plug adapter fix works

I did it two weeks ago. Fixed. There are stickies around here that describe the fix.

Save yourself some trouble and heat up the exhaust pipe to loosen the O2 sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0421 Recall Over 100k What Can I Do?