Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Catalytic Converter for 2003 Lancer OZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 03:34 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^more details on the galant? like year and engine..
Old Jan 4, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

i had mine fixed under the warranty, it expires at 80k, mine died at 77 so i was darn lucky but ur dealership is lying bc the recall or whatever it is does exist
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:15 AM

Will I need to change the exhaust manifold as well or just the cat? It seems a lot of people change both, not sure why
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fe2o3
I don't think it's referred to as a "recall" per se. I think it's some kind of warranty extension on the service life of the part through some kind of technical bulletin from 80,000 miles standard emission to 100,000 miles. I've heard of people having trouble getting the service advistards to do the searching and calling to verify it. I think they have to input the service order for it to show up that it will be covered under warranty. I'd push them to do some calling around if they have to because people have had this covered or try another dealer if you have some around.

I fell outside mileage so had to replace. From rockauto.com, I used:
Front: Eastern cat #40674 @$350, came with all new bolts and gaskets
Rear cat: Bosal #0991817 @$148, no bolts and holes aren't threaded to reuse yours, did have gaskets
Not endorsing these one way or another as great parts, just saying they work and bolt right in for my 02 ES (except for having to buy a few bolts for the rear one)
When you say "front" are you referring to the warmup cat in the exhaust manifold? If so you does that mean you paid 350 to replace the exhaust manifold? I"m asking because I thought that an aftermarket header replaced the warmup cat and you can get a header for much less than 250.

Also a universal cat on rock auto should only run you about 80 bucks, just have the muffler shop weld on the flanges.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

not positive on this but there should be only one cat. and im fixin to replace mine and its only $168 at summit for a magnaflow. part # 23699 my code is sayin my cat aint warmin up so im just replacing it.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

just a question, if u install a header on the lancer will it pass emissions, and can u leave the cat on?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lil' jeff
not positive on this but there should be only one cat. and im fixin to replace mine and its only $168 at summit for a magnaflow. part # 23699 my code is sayin my cat aint warmin up so im just replacing it.
Pretty sure there are two.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lil' jeff
just a question, if u install a header on the lancer will it pass emissions, and can u leave the cat on?
In some states any modification from stock, of the exhaust system, is against the law. I can only speak for VA in that it is against the law however the semi-deregulated system here allows you to take your car to the mechanic of your choice for inspection.

I believe that in some states inspections are done as a function of your local DMV and therefore harder to skirt around such draconian laws that hamper the free expression of exhaust out the back of your vehicle.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shingen
When you say "front" are you referring to the warmup cat in the exhaust manifold? If so you does that mean you paid 350 to replace the exhaust manifold? I"m asking because I thought that an aftermarket header replaced the warmup cat and you can get a header for much less than 250.

Also a universal cat on rock auto should only run you about 80 bucks, just have the muffler shop weld on the flanges.
I paid 350 for the the exhaust mani that has the cat inside it. Atlanta emissions suck, so I wasn't up for trying to delete anything and risk backtracking.
Then $140 or so for the rear cat.
I opted for bolt in replacement for convenience sake. Not sure how much a muffler shop would charge, but the $60 difference for the part made me think I probably wouldn't save much/anything once I pay the muffler guys and have to take time off dealing with it.
I replaced both O2 sensors as well. Did all this at 117k miles, so hopefully I'm all set for the rest of this car's life
Old Feb 7, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry for bumping an old thread (well not really), but I need to replace my front catalytic converter as it is now 215,000 miles old. I called Pep Boys and found the following cat.

http://c2c.activant.com/ctoc/index.j...BPV1U6BlIIX3Qf

It was quoted to me for about $160. Is this part going to work on my vehicle? In addition, there should be no welding involved in installing this new catalytic converter. Is that not correct?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front cat is integrated into your exhaust manifold so you have to get another stock manifold to change that. Are you sure you dont mean the rear cat?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 03lances
Front cat is integrated into your exhaust manifold so you have to get another stock manifold to change that. Are you sure you dont mean the rear cat?
u sure the front cat is integrated into it? cause i can rip my exaust mani off right now and theirs no cat on it.. the pre cat is on the dp
Old Feb 8, 2012, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

yea these cars have 2 cats one on the mani,bolted to the engine and one under the car. one in the pic looks like one under the car. the one bolted to the engine you have to replace the whole thing mani and cat. unless you have an aftermarket header on then the only cat you should have is under the car
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
@lil'jeff, yeah the car will pass emissions with a header. just make sure you install a CEL eliminator on your downstream o2 sensor or you will throw a p420 code. the best thing to do is the anti fouler trick, that's the only thing i could do on mine to get it to stop throwing an engine code. no need to install another pre-cat, that would defeat the purpose of using an aftermarket header.

@ozr lancer, the bulge you see in the outlet of the exhaust manifold is a small warm up catalyst. the cat you were talking about in your downpipe isn't a cat or pre-cat, it is a flex pipe to keep your downpipe or header from cracking during engine movement
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

well now i live in an emissions free county so i might be upgrading the exhaust after winter since it dont matter now.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter for 2003 Lancer OZ