Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

drive/ serpentine belt replacement

Old Apr 1, 2011, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drive/ serpentine belt replacement

Has anyone performed a drive/serpentine belt replacement on a 2008+ lancer?

I've done it countless times on older cars before where you just loosen the alternator and voila, it's off. But I read somewhere that on the new lancer, there is an auto-tensioner that requires a regular wrench and a hex wrench to loosen and tighten. Is it easy to do? How do you do it? Thanks.

Last edited by adtalmeda; Apr 1, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't done it on a Lancer before but I've done it on other cars. If it has tension pulley then all you would need to do is use your wrench and "tighten" the pulley. You'll see as you "tighten" the pulley, that it'll move to the side and release tension on the belt. With the tension removed, you can remove your belt and replace it the same way.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ps, draw a diagram of where the belt goes before you remove it....this can save a headache later
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

I'm giving this thread a bump. Surely somebody out there has replaced their serpentine belt. Right???

My 2008 Lancer ES is almost due for its 120K service, which I will do myself. While I'm at it, I plan to change the belt. Yesterday I took a quick look in the engine bay. On the front (passenger side) of the motor I can see the belt and some of the pulleys. However, I don't think I could see all of the pulleys. I assume there must be a tensioner pulley, but during my quick look I couldn't identify a tensioner. Maybe removing the passenger side, front wheel will reveal something?

If anyone has any info that would help, please fill us in!

If nobody comes up with anything, then I'll take some pics when I do this. If I can figure out how to do it correctly, then I'll write up and post a How-To.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
I'm giving this thread a bump. Surely somebody out there has replaced their serpentine belt. Right???

My 2008 Lancer ES is almost due for its 120K service, which I will do myself. While I'm at it, I plan to change the belt. Yesterday I took a quick look in the engine bay. On the front (passenger side) of the motor I can see the belt and some of the pulleys. However, I don't think I could see all of the pulleys. I assume there must be a tensioner pulley, but during my quick look I couldn't identify a tensioner. Maybe removing the passenger side, front wheel will reveal something?

If anyone has any info that would help, please fill us in!

If nobody comes up with anything, then I'll take some pics when I do this. If I can figure out how to do it correctly, then I'll write up and post a How-To.
Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tensioner.pdf (83.2 KB, 0 views)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

That should help. Thanks!

I'll update after I get the job done.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:36 PM
tiC

If you guys have a 2008-2011 Lancer, just get the dealership to do it because there's a new recall.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/...#ixzz3GcLxIO8J
Attached Thumbnails drive/ serpentine belt replacement-10671442_10152272380020904_5584432371371826966_n.jpg  
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Got my recall notice in the mail last week. I will likely still try this myself, just for the challenge But if it looks like a PITA, I'll take it to the dealer for the free change.

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Just replaced my serpentine belt. It cost me $30 for a new belt at Autozone, and it took me less than half an hour. Going to the dealer for the recall would have saved me $30, but it would have taken more than half an hour of my time. Plus, I have the testosterone rush of having done this myself

The link posted by Camshaft definitely helped!

1. Open the hood and unfasten the coolant reservoir. I was also changing the coolant, so I completely removed the reservoir. However, all you need to do to get at the belt is unfasten the one screw that holds the reservoir in place, and move it out of the way.

2. Get a piece of paper and a pencil, and take a look at the front of the motor. Draw a diagram of all the pulleys on the front of the motor and how the belt wraps around them. My car has EIGHT pulleys! You want to make sure you know how to put the new belt on properly. The PDF posted by Camshaft will show which one is the tensioner.

3. Space is a little tight, but you should be able to get a wrench on the tensioner. If I remember correctly, it is 16 mm. I used an offset box-end wrench, which probably made it a bit easier than with a "normal" wrench. Pull up on the wrench to release tension, and start pulling off the old belt.

4. The longest part of the job was getting the new belt looped properly around all the pulleys. Having two extra hands would help. Again, space is tight, but you should be able to figure it out. I had removed the front right foglight trim to drain my coolant, and that gave me access to the underside of the lower-most pulley. Maybe not necessary, but it helped.

5. After getting the belt more-or-less in place, use the wrench to release tension again, and slip the belt over your last pulley.

So, this turned out to be a very easy job, requiring nothing but a Phillips-head screwdriver and a wrench.

P.S. I had ordered a new belt from Rock Auto, and the belt I received from them was not the right belt. I have used Rock Auto quite a few times, and never had any problems, so this was unusual. As I have multiple vehicles, I took the old belt with me to Autozone to make sure the new belt I got from them was the correct one.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the write-up!

Inspect the pulley for wear and that it rotates easily.

Consider switching to a metal idler pulley if worn or 'wobbly' when spinning it.