Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Bad Oil Pump or Worn Out Engine?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Oil Pump or Worn Out Engine?

A few months ago my oil light started coming on at idle even though the level was fine, but I got a new pressure switch installed and it was fine then. Now only 2,000 miles later it happened again, and then the next day it started staying on all the time. My oil was low (just needs a new valve cover gasket), but still in the middle of the 2 notches. I topped it off and the light still hasn't turned off. They checked my oil pressure when doing the switch and said it was a little lower than it should be but the engine was just starting to wear out and would last a long time yet. Does this problem sound like my engine is worse than they thought or could it be the oil pump?
Old May 18, 2011, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The pressure needs to be more than "a little low" to make that light come on. Most oil pressure switches close at 4-7psi.

I suggest dropping the oil pan to inspect the pickup for debris. It is most likely clogged. Also look in the pan for metal shavings. Very easy to do, just reseal it with black silicone RTV. There is no gasket.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try a thicker oil, if your using 1-30, try the 10-40 etc. Its getting a little warmer and sounds like your oil has a few miles on it---these will make the oil thinner, dropping the pressure--in your case just enough to cause the light to come on---change that switch also--its only a few dollars.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thicker oil is only a band aid if there is a real problem. I'd say dont switch it and stick with the 5-20. Dont half *** it and do it the right way. If you replaced the pressure sensor and still no luck drop the pan and inspect. It not hard at all.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcgarvey
I suggest dropping the oil pan to inspect the pickup for debris. It is most likely clogged. Also look in the pan for metal shavings. Very easy to do, just reseal it with black silicone RTV. There is no gasket.
Yup. What he said!
Old May 28, 2011, 08:14 AM

Where is the oil pressure sensor?
Old May 28, 2011, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Right above the filter.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Man get outta here with that b.s.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

yay for spam?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the engine burning oil. Blowing smoke? Have you done a compression check? Leak down check? Whats the oil pressure at idle? At cruising speed? When warm? when cold?How many miles on your motor? Has it been properly maintained?

These are a few of the question you need to get the answers too- to determine weather or not you have a bad oil pump or a motor thats about to check out. It could be so many things..You could have a front balance shaft bearing going bad putting drag on your oil pump. It could be an oil pump on the way out. Usually if you motor is just plain worn out you will see the signs..smoking at idle and under acceleration, bad performance, burning oil like crazy..
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, had this issue as well. I've found that if you don't do the 3k oil change, the stock sending unit tends to have a fit. Change your oil more often, and use an aftermarket gauge as a backup option so you actually know the psi and not just an idiot light. I use an adapter plate above the oil filter running the stock sending unit now, and have the aftermarket in the stock location (as they tend to be bigger and not have enough room above the filter).

I've also had stock sending units leak, giving me faulty readings. Check Rockauto.com and buy the one that looks red in color (i forget the brand), but I haven't had any issues with that one leaking or false readings. Also, check your wiring. I had to thouroughly clean the wire connection, and lube it up good with dielectric grease. I even hit it with some liquid electrical tape to make sure it was secure from water.

Check the wire as far up as you can, as it's not secured well and can melt if it contacts the engine. If this is the case, you'll have to rewire from before the break.