Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Lancer es/oz engine swap thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lancer es/oz engine swap thread

Making an official thread to help us all out with information regarding engine swaps and the possibility of making an awd lancer

We will discuss in this thread
4g64 swap custom mounts, head swaps etc...
4g63 swap what is needed and welded
63/64 dohc head swaps
Awd transmission axel, drive shaft, and rear differential
4g92 dohc swap
Max horsepower/torque for each swap
Turbo/fuel options

Some of us can't afford an evo but if we work together we can eventually build cars that are capable of 300+ hp with no issues. Once we start getting more lancers with high hp later down the road companies will build parts for our cars making modding alot easier for the future generation of tuners wanting a car similar to an evo
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribe!

Thats a nice idea! Im especially interrested about the DOHC swap...
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
suscribed...i just have a few parts i need to start my dohc swap
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

While I understand what you're doing...there is a G64 thread already created and stickied at the top...it may be best to keep it all there
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

I know but I prefer a thread with everything in one makes searching a lot easier, if I don't get this evo I do plan on doing the g63/64 swap then looking into awd and own a lancer that is capable of doing the impossible I thought since I have the evo 8 conversion if I swap subframes would that make the g63 swap that much easier followed by using the evo drive shaft the project would cost a total of 4-5k since I have a place to get evo parts easily I just want the information. Think about it g63/64 swap and awd the lancer would still be light weight
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

That's exactly what the search is for....that's like saying you want to get rid of google, and want everything listed on one single website..
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jehuty
That's exactly what the search is for....that's like saying you want to get rid of google, and want everything listed on one single website..
you do realize when I try to search for 4G63 swap I get multiple threads saying this has already been discussed please move... Or how about an awd conversion... I read a thread on that like 3 months ago and I cant find it. The point is the information we want isnt stickied or its just difficult to find. I have been on this site for over a year and I still like to learn new things about my car and have the information ready at hand.

If your still not convinced why is there 3-4 how turbo your lancer threads... Im not saying we shouldnt serach for information theres just too many threads of how to do this and that or this info has been discussed. So far this thread has been us debating an arguement I would really like to get back to discussing methods
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Ok so some of yall know I have done an evo 8 conversion to my car including the radiator support. I have read alot of stuff on the 4g63 swap about alot of custom stuff... Since the lancer and evo have almost the same identical engine bay. Do you think by swapping out the subframe for an evo subframe, and get a different Crossmember that should solve alot of the custom stuff with the 4G63, I would have to make a side motor mount for the car but that would allow you to attempt a rear drive shaft since the lancer has a tunnel just like the evo to allow that, I know the rear would be alot of custom stuff but what do yall think?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Jehuty.

trying to compile all the info into one thread is retarded. I was just on club3g trying to research a 6g7X swap into my car and there are threads on ONE topic 66 pages long and some even longer.
You understand how much of a headache it is to read through all of that plus decipher through the bull****.

Much easier to read multiple 20 page threads in length and get the info you need.

Originally Posted by steven121
Ok so some of yall know I have done an evo 8 conversion to my car including the radiator support. I have read alot of stuff on the 4g63 swap about alot of custom stuff... Since the lancer and evo have almost the same identical engine bay. Do you think by swapping out the subframe for an evo subframe, and get a different Crossmember that should solve alot of the custom stuff with the 4G63, I would have to make a side motor mount for the car but that would allow you to attempt a rear drive shaft since the lancer has a tunnel just like the evo to allow that, I know the rear would be alot of custom stuff but what do yall think?
To answer your question the evo and lancer subframes are identical aside from the fact the evo subframe allows the evo control arms to be attached where as the lancer one does not.

Swapping in the evo subframe doesn`t make the 4g63 swap any bit easier.
you would use evo crossmember and front and rear motor mounts. you`ll need a custom side(trans) motor mount. engine motor mount will fit in the lancer location.

If your going fwd you can use the 3g eclipse transmission.

awd well you can use the outlander rear end like I did. but its still way more work then its worth. (sleeveing the frame rails ect.)
or you could remove the entire floor and weld in the evo one... probably what the mirage guys are doing..but I havn`t seen this attempted yet on a lancer.

this is still going to cost you a small fortune..

evo long block $2500
evo awd trans $1000
evo t case $1500
evo rear diff $800
evo drive shaft $100
evo engine harnesses ect..???
evo acd pump and equipment ect ???
misc????..

then awd components and labour ect...

Look at it this way,
in almost a decade of the lancer being sold, ONE guy (markoj - sorry mark if I didn`t get your username right) has attempted and I believe possibly completed a FULL evo awd swap. He`s not here much anymore I think he`s over on socal lancer forums or something last I heard.. loads of respect for that guy but that right there should tell you something.

evo`s prices are declining and becoming more affordable in the sense that spending loads of money on such projects just dont make sense.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I will chime in.

Yes, I have completed a whole AWD setup. Yes, I have completed a full 4g63t MIVEC motor swap. And yes, it is running a 6-speed manual transmission from the MR (auto to manual transmission swap).

But in the past few years of research, trial and error, prototyping, and fabrication, I have come to realize that this entire project is totally OVERKILL for most, if not all base Lancer owners.

This is why I don't even have a build thread. I wouldn't even know where to begin with one! It is so much work that if one had to even ask someone else on how to do all of this work, one would NEVER finish his/her build!

For example, all the work on my car's rear end is custom. It was gutted down to just the main frame rails and new custom metal panels had to be put in just to strengthen the unibody. Now, someone tell me, can that be simply explained on a build thread? The simple answer is, no.

To keep it simple, if you have to ask on how it was done, you cannot do it yourself. It is what it is... everyone wishes that he or she can do custom work like this, but very few people actually have the patience, the time, the resources, the dedication, and most important of all, the expertise to accomplish this. No offense to anyone.

And to the OP, I've noticed that you've been flipflopping over continuing with your build or getting an EVO... if I were you, I'd get that EVO instead. You'd be saving yourself a ton of headaches...
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MarkOJ1011
Ok I will chime in.

Yes, I have completed a whole AWD setup. Yes, I have completed a full 4g63t MIVEC motor swap. And yes, it is running a 6-speed manual transmission from the MR (auto to manual transmission swap).

But in the past few years of research, trial and error, prototyping, and fabrication, I have come to realize that this entire project is totally OVERKILL for most, if not all base Lancer owners.

This is why I don't even have a build thread. I wouldn't even know where to begin with one! It is so much work that if one had to even ask someone else on how to do all of this work, one would NEVER finish his/her build!

For example, all the work on my car's rear end is custom. It was gutted down to just the main frame rails and new custom metal panels had to be put in just to strengthen the unibody. Now, someone tell me, can that be simply explained on a build thread? The simple answer is, no.

To keep it simple, if you have to ask on how it was done, you cannot do it yourself. It is what it is... everyone wishes that he or she can do custom work like this, but very few people actually have the patience, the time, the resources, the dedication, and most important of all, the expertise to accomplish this. No offense to anyone.

And to the OP, I've noticed that you've been flipflopping over continuing with your build or getting an EVO... if I were you, I'd get that EVO instead. You'd be saving yourself a ton of headaches...
yea I know I just had alot of issues where I was suppose to get it and then I was given different info. But im suppose to be looking into one this tuesday but I appreciate your advice
Old Jul 3, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, the AWD conversion would be overkill. If you dont mind burning some rubber you can swap in an evo 8 g63 without too much custom work. you can use a 04-06ralliart transmission and axles to bolt to the g63 block. or you can use a 3g eclipse transmission and swap the differential from your lancer transmission to use the stock axles. either way the only custom mount would be the passenger side motor mount bracket which is easy to make since the other three mounts are all on the transmission including the cross member.

BUT you will have traction issues, imo it would be a fun daily driver to keep at low boost with a mild tune but if you want to make a ton of power with it, wait for an evo.