Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Mod Advice Needed - Headers, CAI, and Exhaust

Old May 17, 2012, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod Advice Needed - Headers, CAI, and Exhaust

I have reviewed quite a bit of threads on here and other forums trying to find out about the available headers and other NA performance parts for my 06 Lancer ES auto and would like some feedback on the products I'm thinking about getting.

The total I have to spend on my car is around $1500 and that includes labor. I still have to purchase the O2 senors or whatever is required to shut the CEL off.

Now onto what I'm thinking for all components

CAI Options
K&N CAI Typhoon - Part Number: K&N 69-6545T
K&N CAI Short RAM Air Intake

Headers
Silver ceramic painted OBX header - saw them on Ebay
M2 Headers - I like how they go slowly from 4-2-1; not sure how much of a difference that makes

Catback Exhaust
SRS Type R-1 Exhaust

When I was tuning my wife's eclipse we learned one thing and that is with an autotragic a good 4-2-1 header setup really distrubted the power better than a 4-1 setup. Since this car is also auto, I'm guessing the same is said to be for the lancer, so I left off the RRM headers as they look to be 4-1 and not 4-2-1.

Now for my story. I own a 06 Lancer ES that was bought new at a dealership in 2006; we purchased it when the white protective film was still on the car; it got delivered minutes before we showed up and bought it. It is silver with grey interior. It now has close to 90K on it and the famous manifold is rusted and as a result I need all the O2 senors on the car replaced along with the manifold. My CEL has been on now for about 6+ months with the occasion day, like today, where it goes off. At a price of $1060 I decided to get rid of the stock oem exhaust system junk on the car and give it some life, which is why I am here.

Which header and CAI should I get? Are there other options out there for CAI or header and if so, please provide a link.

If I do install any header, will I have to install the CEL Eliminator or can I use the O2 senors without any trouble given the setup I have above?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice and taking the time to read my post.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
save for an evo lol...if you were "tuning your wifes eclipse" why would you need help deciding between what headers and air intakes?...sounds fishy...either way why would you spend 200-500 dollars on this car for a whopping 9hp?? I'm sorry i just dont see the point on a lancer
Old May 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Save your money unless your gunna turbo You MIGHT be able to piece a turbo together if you watch the "for sale" section.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:08 AM

Let me clarify what my original post. The manifold on my car is rusted through – you can put your finger through the damn thing. It is triggering the CEL, which is not a big deal, but the manifold has to be replaced before I go into the shop for the annual inspection, which is 2 months away. The local shop and dealer have the OEM part, but the price of the replacement manifold cost is $600 to $1,060, and for that price I would tune the car than use the OEM part.

As for saving and buying an EVO; well that is a long term option, but no matter what, as of right now, I still need to fix the car within 2 months and I believe what I have outlined in my initial post is a nice start, but whould like opinoin on what to get.

A turbo is an option, but I don’t have the time right now to tinker with such things. I have so many things on my plate that it is not an option for me; that is why I am looking at bolt on items right now; maybe once I’m done with grad school I will consider a turbo for the Lancer.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see your point. Even though it's over priced look towards the RRM Header. Reason I say is a guy or few got the eBay ones and fitment was poor. At least with the RRM one you don't have to worry about that. As far as gains, don't look for much. Now, as far as cel with headers yeah, you're going to have to get a cil eliminator for the 2nd cat. If you want to spend $$$ one the lancer suspension and brakes are better avenues with this car.

Have you tried junk yards? You may be able to get a cheap manifold out of there.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:05 PM

If your looking to buy new O2 Sensors, I just picked some up from CarPartsWholesale.com they sell universal ones for $27 and that's the cheapest I've seen anywhere (use coupon code "cpwcart" for 25% off)

You also might be able to save some money by opting for a Spectre CAI. You can get the ram from ebay for like, $40 and a Spectre Cone filter from autoplicity.com for $15 (super steal).

If you put in the CAI you'll have to buy an adapter for the Air Flow sensor or you'll get a CEL and your mod won't be effective (its a couple bucks and should be on Autoplicity)

As for your headers, take Green Bandits advice, maybe even check craigslist or the EvoM marketplace; sometimes you get lucky deals when other Lancer owners convert to turbo setups.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evotuner04
save for an evo lol...if you were "tuning your wifes eclipse" why would you need help deciding between what headers and air intakes?...sounds fishy...either way why would you spend 200-500 dollars on this car for a whopping 9hp?? I'm sorry i just dont see the point on a lancer
FAIL, hate negative people. If he wants to spend money on his lancer then so be it.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evotuner04
I agree with not buying the N/A mods but not save for an evo, some people just dont have the money for it and maybe he wants to try something new, i owned a lancer and built it up to 300hp and that was a fun car now im getting an evo but I am gald I started working on my lancer and bought that as my first car over an evo

Originally Posted by 03lances
FAIL, hate negative people. If he wants to spend money on his lancer then so be it.
+1 with 03lances

I would not save for a turbo, I would buy part by part so it makes you feel like there is no return and it makes you get excited for the build date.

Going N/A wont benefit you a whole lot, but if that is where you want to go we still support you but we are just giving the best opinion if your curious about turbo check out our forced induction pages
Old May 19, 2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by steven121
I agree with not buying the N/A mods but not save for an evo, some people just dont have the money for it and maybe he wants to try something new, i owned a lancer and built it up to 300hp and that was a fun car now im getting an evo but I am gald I started working on my lancer and bought that as my first car over an evo

+1 with 03lances

I would not save for a turbo, I would buy part by part so it makes you feel like there is no return and it makes you get excited for the build date.

Going N/A wont benefit you a whole lot, but if that is where you want to go we still support you but we are just giving the best opinion if your curious about turbo check out our forced induction pages
I wasn't planning on tuning the car as it is my daily driver and already has over 90k on it and is suppose to last me another 4-5 years. What drove me to redoing the full exhaust is the fact that I need a new manifold and didn't want to put down $500-1,000 just on the oEM part. It is has been roughly 7 years since I tuned any car and I miss doing that type of stuff, so I said WTF and decided why not.

I came here asking for input hoping to get an idea if the parts I was ordering were good quality. I know the OBX headers have mixed reviews and was hoping to hear from those who do have them installed or had them installed on their overall experience with this product.

I was not concern with the rest of the products I ordered as I have used them in the past or seen the company work on other cars.

So I ended up ordering the following...

Silver Ceramic coated OBX 4-2-1 headers
SRS Catback System
BLOX Racing O2 Senor CEL Eliminator
K&N Air Intake (the one that uses stock tubing with a carbon fiber box)
Upflow and downflow Bosch 02 senors OE replacement

All of those parts cost me $829....

I consider that a pretty good deal considering what it would have cost me at a dealer to fix the car to OEM spec.

My question isn't about HP gains, I'm expecting no more than 10, it is about noise level. How many decimals will this setup output? Where I live there is a strict law on decimals and I know I will more than likely have to get the car certified after the parts are installed. The decimcal law where I live is 95 or less.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good job, MEL, and well explained. I understand your cat con problem, I just sorted a Sentra for my daughter that needed those damn cats-right-in-the-exhaust-manifold, just like you it was do I pay $900 for a replacement or less for a header. You did the right thing!!! And screw those evo idiots who hate on our rides. What a pack of losers.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by DevnBlakley
If your looking to buy new O2 Sensors, I just picked some up from CarPartsWholesale.com they sell universal ones for $27 and that's the cheapest I've seen anywhere (use coupon code "cpwcart" for 25% off)

You also might be able to save some money by opting for a Spectre CAI. You can get the ram from ebay for like, $40 and a Spectre Cone filter from autoplicity.com for $15 (super steal).

If you put in the CAI you'll have to buy an adapter for the Air Flow sensor or you'll get a CEL and your mod won't be effective (its a couple bucks and should be on Autoplicity)

As for your headers, take Green Bandits advice, maybe even check craigslist or the EvoM marketplace; sometimes you get lucky deals when other Lancer owners convert to turbo setups.
I went with Bosch O2 sensors; the ones I got are their top of the line and I paid $128 for both.

As for the CAI; I order the K&N setup that uses all of the original tubing and MAF sensor; therefore, I do not have to worry about the CEL kicking off due to the CAI. The only thing I have to worry about is the CEL kicking out once the full setup is complete, which shouldn’t happen if I remember to install the CEL Eliminator.

I got the OBX headers for $245 shipped. I consider that pretty good considering that they are ceramic coated.

Thanks for the advice thought, it is appreciated.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:02 AM

All parts have been shipped; other than the exhaust – still waiting on the retailer.

Headers – will arrive next Tuesday.
O2 Sensor & CAI arriving on Thursday – I know what I will be doing Thursday evening.
CEL Eliminator will be arriving on Friday – though has no value until I can install the headers.
Exhaust – still waiting on the retailer – if I don’t receive an email confirming the package has been shipped by tomorrow evening I will be giving them a call Thursday morning.

I am hoping the headers and exhaust arrive by Friday rather than Tuesday next week. It would be nice to have the parts this weekend so I can get them installed on Saturday. If not, than I will have to wait a full week as I work 10-11 hours a day and by the time I come home it is too late to install as I still have other house hold things to do…

For me it is hard to believe I’m 35 and I’m excited as I was when I was 19 when I modified my first car…
Old May 22, 2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by MELancer2006
I went with Bosch O2 sensors; the ones I got are their top of the line and I paid $128 for both.

As for the CAI; I order the K&N setup that uses all of the original tubing and MAF sensor; therefore, I do not have to worry about the CEL kicking off due to the CAI. The only thing I have to worry about is the CEL kicking out once the full setup is complete, which shouldn’t happen if I remember to install the CEL Eliminator.

I got the OBX headers for $245 shipped. I consider that pretty good considering that they are ceramic coated.

Thanks for the advice thought, it is appreciated.
I've heard mixed reviews on Bosch products, but not much on their O2 sensors; deffinately update if they turn out to be junky. The K&N company's awesome; just pricey in my eyes, but you can't go wrong with their products. Nice price on the headers too, update with how they sound and fit.

Good luck with your install!!
Old May 22, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Might wanna pick up some PB Blaster, a breaker bar, and some anti-seize while your at it
Old May 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DevnBlakley
I've heard mixed reviews on Bosch products, but not much on their O2 sensors; deffinately update if they turn out to be junky. The K&N company's awesome; just pricey in my eyes, but you can't go wrong with their products. Nice price on the headers too, update with how they sound and fit.

Good luck with your install!!

The oem o2 sensors are bosch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mod Advice Needed - Headers, CAI, and Exhaust