Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Misfire Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire Question

I searched a few threads but did not find anything that matched my issue. I have a 2004 Black OZ Rally. I have owned the car since new. It is my daily as it has been for the past 8 years. I dont beat on it or race it or anything like that. The only thing that is aftermatket on the entire car is the Kenwood CD player. I keep regular maintenance done on the car because I was the car to last me a long time. Currently the car has 144,XXX miles on it. I recently change the spark plugs and wires about 5k miles ago. I was heading into work yesterday and while sitting at a red light the car started bogging down a little bit. Now enough to shut it down but noticeable. I get to work and plug in my OBD 2 scanner. It reads misfire in cylinder #2. I think maybe the ecu is glitching because I have never had a problem with this car. So I clear the code and go into work.

I leave work about 6 hours later and start driving to Lowe's as part of my Honey-do list. On the way there the engine starts bogging down again and will not go above 2300 RPMs in 4th or 5th gear. Instead of driving to Lowe's I pull into the Autozone parking lot. I talk to the manager there and he says it may be a bad cat, but told me to switch the coil packs between #2 and #4 and if the engine throws a misfire on #4 then I would know that the coil pack is the culprit. I elect not to go to Lowe's and start driving home. On my way home the engine starts ticking. The ticking gets louder as the RPM's go up. I immediately stop in the closest parking lot I can find and the ticking goes away. I make it home and run some Seafoam through the engine in case it was a clogged injector causing the misfire. Even after the Seafoam the engine will start ticking every once in a while but goes away on its own. The enging is still throwing the Misfire in Cylinder #2 even after I switched the coil packs.

I am going to change the plugs when I get home from work today, but has anyone else ever experienced anything like this in the past? Any help is appreciated.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Switch the plugs & report back.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 04:54 PM

Well I am pretty sure I found the problem. I bought some NGK plugs today to replace the Autolite ones that are currently in the car and guess what I find in cylinder #2.

I cant explain what would cause this but it runs great once again now.

Last edited by NoClanSWAT; Nov 26, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oooo! I hope that missing tip isn't scratching the cylinder wall...

Wouldn't hurt to check.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That ground strap went somewhere. Hopefully out the exhaust valve without causing too much damage.

Should be a lesson learned. The only plug to use in these cars is the BKR5E11. There's no need for long life plugs when it takes all of about 5 minutes to change them out, including gapping. Stay away from the iridium/high performance/long life junk, it's just a gimmick. Standard $2 plugs, changed every 15-30k miles will give the best reliability and performance, and will allow the coils to operate in the proper secondary voltage range.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:10 AM

Well it ran great last night while idling after I changed the plug. This morning I start driving to work and the engine starts sputtering again and every once in a while starts tapping the engine again. Once again it gave a code of misfire in cylinder #2 even after I changed the plug. So now I am a dead end once again.

Green Bandit, how do I check to see if it scratched the cylinder wall?