Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Engine swap options

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine swap options

I know I may get some crap for this but I wanted to bring up all the research I have found one engine power options for us guys with the 02-07 lancers (es,ls, and oz)

so correct me if im wrong or you have some input on my research. keep in mind im just stating what ive found for engines bolting in without MAJOR modification

1) the 4g64 swap. from what ive found this engine and trans swaps right it with a custom motor mount bracket on the passenger side and swapping the diff from the lancer to the 4g64 trans or custom axles.

2) the 4g69... this being the ralliart engine found in the 05-07 lancers (maybe the 04 also but cant remember) now since in these years they also had the 4g94 for the es/ls mitsu is not going to change the chassie for just one trim. so the 4g69 should bolt in with the use of 4g69 motor mounts.. granted this is a return-less fuel system so new pump and fuel lines would be needed. also would need a pcm, harness, and cv axles from the ralliart. but is should bolt in, I know ive seen it done on here.

3) The one I may get crap for... the 4g63 (evo IV-IX) now the 4g63 and 4g64 share a lot of parts in common. I know this for a fact since ive build a 4g64 for my starion and countless people using the 64 block in the DSM world and the 3g guys putting an evo head on there 64 blocks. now that said the 4g69 is also in the same family and share some things.. mainly the transmission mounting to the block. ive heard of evo guys using both the 64 block and 69 block in there cars and it bolting up to the transmission, and no need of custom mounts. so in theory this engine should fit into the lancer with the use of ralliart mounts (from what ive read evo guys using the 69 block and still using stock motor mounts) and also using a ralliart transmission with axles. Or using the 4g64 transmission with the diff swap or custom axles. now ive also found in a evo/lance compatability thread that the evo intercooler piping and downpipe will work on the lancers and even the intercooler with modification to the crash beam. plus since the evo and lancer share the same style ecu plug flashing is an option for the pcm...

Ok now keep in mind me bringing this up is like a said the ability to bolt in without major fabrication, im not talking about price here, because an evo engine will cost more than a 64 or 69. so this is all I have found and I didn't even bring up the option of building the 94 and turbocharging that or even the DOHC swap... so like I said opinions welcome, more info is also always very welcome
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:06 PM

keep in mind also that I have not tried any of these swaps, this is just research I have done with a mixture of my prior knowledge of Mitsubishi (in the DSM world)
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you check this thread ?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...aped-evo8.html

Useful information there.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:13 PM

I had forgot about this thread, thank you for bringing it up. That raises the issue of the fwd starter getting in the way of a stock Turbo. Does the starter mount the same in the 4g64?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:08 PM

so on the 4g64 the starter mounts on the front of the engine also. so using this trans with the evo motor would still pose the issue of the starter sitting right there in front. so options would be to flip the turbo as done by in the link given above or possibly custom intake or maybe extend the manifold as so the turbo can clear (from what I gathered form the link above the turbo and starter interfere. not sure on how but these are just some things I can think of after looking at a 4G64 today)