Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

custom intake piping?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom intake piping?

what do you guys think of running some custom intake piping to get some extra cool air to the air filter - - i did this on my old car - - i put an air collector at the front grill somewhere and ran 3" vacuum hose up to the air intake - - not that this does anything - - it does force some added air to the filter (especially when ur driving - - kind of ram air like . .) and in my opinion it looks cool with the air collector behind the grill . . . . . . comments? . . . .
Old Sep 12, 2002, 01:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It couldn't hurt anything. It would just be more cold coming into the intake. Are you going to do this to your car? If so, tell me how it worked out and show some pics of it.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 02:24 AM
Evolving Member

i probably will - - i just need to find a nice looking air collector and find a passage to run my vacuum hose in - - - i'll keep you updated . . . .
Old Sep 12, 2002, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

you mean like the injen and aem intakes?
Old Sep 12, 2002, 02:39 AM
Evolving Member

no - - - i mean running a vacuum hose so that more cool air can get to the air filter - - -
Old Sep 12, 2002, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

its possible. another idea is to get one of them ac duct outlets, mount that possibly in the front as a collector and run the piping to the filter. uhm one thing u might be worreid about with plastic though is the temperatures, i'd hate to see u melt it...
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

What do you mean by "vacuum hose"? The only vacuum hose I'm familiar with under the hood of the car are the small black tubes running all over the engine. I don't think you want to run a tube that's only a few millimeters in diameter as an intake apparatus...
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

hehe he might mean like a vaccum cleaner type hose...i kno some DSM ppl that use that clothes dryer hose ( that like 6" flexable weird thing coming out of a dryer to vent the hot air) as a way to get more air to the filter. looks ghetto...but it works if your jus going for go.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

hes talking about something like weapon r did, i'll find the link..

here it is..
http://*******************/ramair.html

except, i think, rather than adapting it to a short ram, he means just putting it into the stock airbox somewhere. this right?
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by pinoyesv6
its possible. another idea is to get one of them ac duct outlets, mount that possibly in the front as a collector and run the piping to the filter. uhm one thing u might be worreid about with plastic though is the temperatures, i'd hate to see u melt it...
exactly - - - any kind of air collector would do - - - and as for the vacuum hose - - i am talking about a 3-4" diameter hose from an auto parts store or something and if i can a decent looking air collector and run the hose up from that, it won't be exposed that much and not look that bad . . .
Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:37 AM

i been thinkin of that same thing, doing a ram air set up...curious as to how it would work if a few cuts were made into the hood where that lil' plastic thing runs into the hood, if you've looked at it ya know what im talkin about...but thats just a thought
Old Sep 25, 2002, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

if you guys want some ghetto intake idea, or even serious one, just PM me or something. i have even seen a guy take some cofee filters, a MAs adaptor, some dyer hose and some rubber bands. he ran the dryer hose like u normally would, put some cofee filters on the mas adaptors, and used a rubber band to hold it down and then put the dryer hose over all that. it worked really good. you just have to stop every once in a while to put in a new cofee filter
Old Oct 9, 2002, 07:11 AM

another good way but expensive is to relocate your battery in the trunk. take your left headlight to a custom shop. ask them to cut out the turn signal and plastic mold a tube in place and then you can place a cone filter behind the hole and then run whatever tube you can find to the mass airflow sensor. greatly increases cold air intake. if you can do it, it works great, but it is pricy and tedious
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

If you relocate your battery you can find a piece of metal right behind the light. Just cut that piece out and you have a clear path to the lower driver fender well. Just run the tubing from behing the grill all the way up to the filter and your set.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ram air system works... just make sure you don't have too many bends in your setup.

Quick Reply: custom intake piping?