Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Shopping list

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping list

I'm making a shopping list for all the mods I'm going to do to my lancer. As far as looks go, I've got that covered. But engine mods are something I don't know a lot about. I'm hoping you guys can give me some help with this since you guys have already done a lot. I'm driving a 2003 Lancer ES, automatic. I know this limits me, but I don't know how. What mods are not available for the automatic?

My goal is to reach the performance of a 2004 MIVEC, but that doesn't mean I won't go for more. I'm sticking to NA though, I want to do everything else before I consider turbo. I'd like to hear what works best with what, which parts compliment each other for more performance, and who to shop from. I know many here will say RRM, but who else? I'm definitely looking at RRM's piggyback ECU for a future purchase, but want to get a few other things before I get it. Links to websites would help so I can take a look at prices too, I want to see a final total amount for my shopping list. And I would prefer to hear from people that actually have the parts. I've read reviews on a couple things, like the piggyback. Details are important, but the details I care about most are if it is worth the money and what kind of problems they might have.

Any advice you can give would be great. I've dubbed my project Project N. Right now I'm just making the list of things to do, and next spring I'm going to start putting her together. I've got lots of plans on the show and shine side, but I don't want her all show and no go, know what I mean?
Old Jun 30, 2004, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

First off, you should check out our website (link in my signature!).

Second, the only real differences between autos and manuals is that you can't get a cold air intake; you'll have to go with a short ram. Otherwise, most everything else will bolt up just the same.

For n/a mods, run a search cuz this question was just asked!
Old Jun 30, 2004, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

That helps a lot. I knew I couldn't get CAI, but wasn't sure if there was anything else I would be missing out on. I'll see if I can find some n/a threads with mod listings to help, thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

NP. If you can find that thread I was talking about, it should help a ton.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 04:23 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't find the thread, but here's some suggestions.

Intake compliments exhaust. I am very happy with the Magnaflow, and would recommend that or any 2.25" catback (anything larger is useless on a non-turbo Lancer imo).

Since you have an auto, SRI is the way to go. RRMs is nice and so is the RMR one www.rmrproducts.com I think the Injen and AEM SRIs are a little overpriced.

Headers would make a nice step after that, and a ported throttle body and intake manifold will compliment it. Maybe a high flow cat as well, but I think a test pipe along with a header would lose too much torque.

Of course, the Piggyback will compliment them all with a better fuel and timing curve. I can agree with you about doing that last.

Also look into cams from rpw (don't know their site but the EvoM rep is Mitsiman) and I would imagine higher compression pistons (sorry, that's RRM again... God bless them) and larger valves will help too.

As for other sites to get these from, try www.adventon.com ... that's all I can think of, but there's a thread I think sitickied in Lancer General with links to all the performance shops for the Lancer. Check that out and start shopping for your best prices.