Notices
Lancer (ES, LS, OZ) Tech Forums Includes sub forums for technical help on the US Lancer.

Throtle Body

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2002, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throtle Body

Exactly how does a bored throtle body or a bigger throtle body enhance engine performance? Would someone be willing to explain?
Old Sep 7, 2002, 01:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It basically increases one of a couple bottle necks in your intake system by widening the hole and englarging the butterfly (the flippy disc thing that controls air flow for anyone who doesn't know). So basically it just lets your car pull in more air for combustion. It's pretty simple in principle, but it doesn't really cause any huge gains...it's just another small step up on the intake end of your engine.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 01:19 AM

I understand it as this: Larger TB lets more air be pulled through the filter=more air in TB=more air in same size manifold=more volume in same space = greater velocity=more air in cylinder for combustion=more power.

Es correcto?
Old Sep 7, 2002, 01:37 AM

does anyone know specifically how much of an HP gain? Thank you for all the feedback.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

After a ECU upgrade you will see more advantages to the larger throttle body....upgrade will program for more air in and add more fuel = bigger combustion = more power.....And yes someone is coming out with an ECU upgrade soon....I'm sure you guys can figure out who...
Old Sep 7, 2002, 01:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

With simple breathing mods only I'd still be amazed if you netted more than 1 hp to the wheels. Combined with forced induction it would at least make somewhat more of a difference. There are more bottlenecks in the intake system than just tb and current boring isn't more than 4-6mm (4mm for RRM).

It's a good add-on for future mods, but I wouldn't expect anything from just a tb alone (or even with bolt-ons really).
Old Sep 7, 2002, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Are you saying that the TB in combination would only net 1 hp as far as a "per component" gain? I guess that's what you're saying. I think that I'd do the TB thing simply to help balance out in another area... like a header upgrade or something.

You said ECU upgrade Uranium? How in the hell is that gonna work? I'd pretty much heard that the fastest way to expect a ECU upgrade for a Mitsu product in recent years would be to try and crap one out of your ***. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but, still hard, none the less.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 09:03 AM

uranium
could you elucidate us on who is developing the ECU upgrade and when can we expect it?
Old Sep 7, 2002, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

How would the Ecu extract more power out of the throttle body?
the ecu sees air flow through the maf not the throttle body. any hp improvements with the ecm would have been there anyways from optomizing the fuel map in relation to the maf and o2 sensor. Or am I of base here
Old Sep 7, 2002, 09:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by StreetLancer
Are you saying that the TB in combination would only net 1 hp as far as a "per component" gain? I guess that's what you're saying. I think that I'd do the TB thing simply to help balance out in another area... like a header upgrade or something.

You said ECU upgrade Uranium? How in the hell is that gonna work? I'd pretty much heard that the fastest way to expect a ECU upgrade for a Mitsu product in recent years would be to try and crap one out of your ***. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but, still hard, none the less.
What I was saying is that I'd be suprised if you even felt the difference at the wheels with simple bolt-ons. Keep in mind when I put mine on I did it at the same time as intake so it's not easy for me to tell what came from where. It's not like the tb is the only restrictor. Your MAS adapter plate and your ECU are the main restrictors from how it looks to me.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 09:30 AM

A larger throttle body will not produces gains that you will ulitmately feel. The gains may only be noticed on a dyno graph if there even is any gain.

For those of you who still are a little confused....
Opening up a throttle body larger is like opening up a clogged artery in your heart. It allows the blood to flow faster and smoother. Theoretically, the added airflow in the engine should produce more horsepower as long as the correct amount of fuel is added also.

Jeff
Old Sep 7, 2002, 09:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yes! Thanks, Jeff. The thing being that out ECU's adjust QUICKLY so unless you're managing your air/fuel ratio I don't think you're even going to see anything really. At least that's my take. If you sucked a cubic ton of air a second, the ECU would just run as rich as the fuel system would let it to fix the mix.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

that maf plate is big time restrictive. has any body installed an s-afc and opened that up yet ? In my opinion that would have more of an effect than the throttle body(with cai of course)
Old Sep 7, 2002, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

also in warm weather bypassing the coolent circut in the TB Might have a slight effect (probebly negligable but cheap )
Nothing you could feel