Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Car shaking at 80Km/h

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car shaking at 80Km/h

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this.
Today I drove to work, doing 100-120Km/h and no problem. Worked an 8 Hr. shift. Got back to the car, warmed it up. Got back on the high way doing 100Km/h, this is where the problem started. the entire car started to shake, I thought that it was a flat. So I pulled over, checked all tires and lug nuts and there was no problem. So I started driving again. Got back up to speed 100Km/h and the shaking was even worse, slowed down to 80Km/h and still shaking. I decied to take the side roads home. The car doesn't shake at idle or when driving slow, only when you go over 80. Does anyone know what the problem could be.

I'm going to have to make a visit to the dealership on Monday morning
Old Jan 23, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like a wheel balance issue
Old Jan 23, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, get your wheels balanced. Maybe you hit a bump or something that knocked off a wheel balance weight and that's why it was so sudden, but that's nearly the only thing it's likely to be.
-N
Old Jan 23, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

if those aren't it,check your tires all the way around for any bulges sticking up. i had a inner belt seperate on a different car and it felt alot like that.wasn't very noticable at low speeds but at high it felt VERY bumpy. check it soon cause if it is that and it blows on the highway.........................................ve ry,very bad. (just one way cars lose it and flip over!)
Old Jan 23, 2005, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed with my OZ wheels that come stock on my OZ Rally that they get packed with snow or mud on the inner rear rim and it throws them off balance big time. It happens for me around 50-60mph. Check that.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by neilschelly
Yeah, get your wheels balanced. Maybe you hit a bump or something that knocked off a wheel balance weight and that's why it was so sudden, but that's nearly the only thing it's likely to be.
-N
I know that I didn't hit anything on the way to work, and the car stood all day in the parking lot. This only happened on the way home, maybe 10-15 minutes into the drive.

The only thing that I noticed was that the right rear wheel and a bunch of snow packed into it. I went to the car wash and power washed all the snow from under the wheel wells and the rims. Took the car back on the highway to get some speed and some of the shaking was gone.

I guess that I will need to look at the wheels a lot better in the morning to see if there are any bulges or wear. The thing is that these are my winter tires mounted on my stock rims and they are no more than 2 months old.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:33 PM

Rotate Balance And Align Those Rubbers. Plz Use Mph This Is An American Forum Kanx.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Yeh my steering wheel shakes like hell when i hit about 80 mph but I know pretty much its because my tires need to be rotated and balanced. also how often should you have em rotated and balanced?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by myg0t2
Rotate Balance And Align Those Rubbers. Plz Use Mph This Is An American Forum Kanx.
It's a whole lot harder for the rest of the world to use MPH than US-esque people to use KPH, since others' speedometers only have KPH. You could try not being downright lazy though and notice that your own speedometer has both. It's not really tough to remember that highway speed limits are roughly 100KPH.

Originally Posted by Marques
Yeh my steering wheel shakes like hell when i hit about 80 mph but I know pretty much its because my tires need to be rotated and balanced. also how often should you have em rotated and balanced?
You should rotate them whenever the front tires are more worn than the rears. Maybe every oil change or so, depending on too many factors to list. Just look at them to see if the rears are in much better condition than the fronts and if they are, rotate them.

They should usually only be balanced when the tires are put on the rims. But if the tire mis-shapes itself or a balance weight comes off, they'll need new balancing. You don't do it as regular maintenance - you do it when the car "shakes like hell when i hit about 80 mph" as that's pretty much the only indicator it needs doing.

And back ontopic, I've heard of it before, but never experienced snow packing into alloy rims and off-balancing the wheels, until just this past weekend... we got a ton of snow up here now that pretty much buried everything not under a roof. And for the first time ever, I got snow in my tires screwing things up... granted once it was gone, so was the shaking...
-N
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by chopzilla
I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this.
Today I drove to work, doing 100-120Km/h and no problem. Worked an 8 Hr. shift. Got back to the car, warmed it up. Got back on the high way doing 100Km/h, this is where the problem started. the entire car started to shake, I thought that it was a flat. So I pulled over, checked all tires and lug nuts and there was no problem. So I started driving again. Got back up to speed 100Km/h and the shaking was even worse, slowed down to 80Km/h and still shaking. I decied to take the side roads home. The car doesn't shake at idle or when driving slow, only when you go over 80. Does anyone know what the problem could be.

I'm going to have to make a visit to the dealership on Monday morning

CHOP you live in Canada, you should know what this problem is. You have snow stuck in your rim. Go to the car wash (I prefer Coin-op) and wash that out. You problaby had snow in there the entire time but it was balanced because of cintrificual force. When your car was parked some of it fell off messing up the balance of your wheels.

LMAO

PS you coming to the meet this thursday? Tim Hortins @ 410 & Steels
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

it's the snow that was my whole problem over he weekend here in chicago
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Danno
CHOP you live in Canada, you should know what this problem is. You have snow stuck in your rim. Go to the car wash (I prefer Coin-op) and wash that out. You problaby had snow in there the entire time but it was balanced because of cintrificual force. When your car was parked some of it fell off messing up the balance of your wheels.

LMAO

PS you coming to the meet this thursday? Tim Hortins @ 410 & Steels
The problem is all gone, I thought it was worse, but it is all good now

I'll see about the meet, I work 10-9pm on Thursday. If I show up I will be there around 9:30.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:09 PM

Unhappy User

I face a similar problem with my Lancer EX. Starting yesterday morning my car scares me with a vibration for 2-3 seconds in constant high speed (100-140kmph). I thought it was a problem with Cruise control but even without that it happens. Can anyone advice me on what will be the cause? :-( I just finished my servicing and after that only this happens.