Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

02 Lancer Coil Pack

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Lancer Coil Pack

OK, one of my coil packs is not firing. The coil pack is good. Did a scan and it said replace the cam sensor, so got that done. Still no signal to the coil. Anyone ran into anything like this? All connections are good, replaced the ECU today and that was not it either. All scans no come pack clean but just can't get spark.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'd assume all fuses and relays have been checked as well?
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Here is the page out of the wiring diagram. Look in the lower left for the input signals to the ECM. It lists Cam and Crank sensors. Since you replaced the Cam sensor my logic says to replace the Crank sensor. Spark is a timing thing. I'm guessing the ECM takes BOTH signals to fire the coil. I would suppose that it needs both to ensure there is no erroneous signals from one or the other to set the coil to firing off randomly.

This isn't the gospel here, its just the way I would attack it if it were my car.
Attached Thumbnails 02 Lancer Coil Pack-capture.jpg  

Last edited by airlinevomitbag; Jan 28, 2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by airlinevomitbag
Here is the page out of the wiring diagram. Look in the lower left for the input signals to the ECM. It lists Cam and Crank sensors. Since you replaced the Cam sensor my logic says to replace the Crank sensor. Spark is a timing thing. I'm guessing the ECM takes BOTH signals to fire the coil. I would suppose that it needs both to ensure there is no erroneous signals from one or the other to set the coil to firing off randomly.

This isn't the gospel here, its just the way I would attack it if it were my car.

Typically when a crank sensor is bad, a car wont fire up. or half *** it.
If its going, it could cause timing codes.
So id start with the crank sensor. ^_^

How do you know the coil pack is good, howd you test it?

Also do you know they are not getting spark for sure? howd u test that?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:31 AM

I tested the coil packs they are good. I did a spark test to make sure that both were working. The number two coil pack was not working so I switched it see if it got spark which it did. Now I have updates to all of this, really feel dumb but here we go. Cranked the the cam over by hand, got the timing belt moved and the crank stripped out the timing belt. Since the cam position sensor read the cam not moving that is why it was not firing. Replaced the timing belt praying that there was no damage, got that done and it sounds like I damaged one of the valves. So next weekend will consist of removing the head and going from there to see what the damamge is. This is the weirdest mishap I have ever seen. Wife goes to the Dr comes tuns off the car, comes back out an hour later trys to start and it did not start. That must have been when the crank stripped out the timing belt. Any way thank you for all of the help on this. I am sure I will be back after I get this thing apart to see what the damage is.