Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Lancer 1.3 GLX CK1A fuel gauge advice

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer 1.3 GLX CK1A fuel gauge advice

Hello everyone,
I have a Lancer 1.3 GLX (CK1A) 1.3L '99. I am facing a problem regarding the actual fuel in the tank and the fuel gauge. When I fill the tank, the needle goes slightly over the F line. However when the needle reaches the red E line I get no fuel warning light and the tank still has about 15-20 liters left. If I continue driving -ignoring the needle- I see the fuel warning light coming on (with about 8 liters in the tank). At that point the needle has dropped at the lowest possible point (far lower than E-at the bottom of the gauge). This makes me assume that the warning light works ok, but not the needle.
I took out the fuel gauge unit (located under the rear seat), measured the ohm resistance at F and at E according to the service manual and the readings were OK. I even tested the ohm resistance at various points (eg. at half tank, at 1/4 tank, etc). The fuel gauge unit reacted normally. I even tested the float heights and everything was normal.
Any advice as to what else might have problems?
Old May 31, 2016, 10:48 PM

Update: I replaced the fuel gauge unit just in case. The results remain the same. I took out the combination meters and measured the ohm resistance of the fuel gauge instrument too. Seems normal accoring to the service manual.

The problem seems to be increased ohm resistance going to the fuel gauge instrument causing it to drop lower than what the fuel gauge unit is actually sending.

Could a worn wire travelling from the fuel gauge unit to the fuel gauge instrument increase the ohm resistance?

Last edited by fariom; Jun 1, 2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old May 4, 2018, 09:46 PM

Guage

Check all wires going to the sender unit, make sure the insulator on the wires are intact and not damaged and grounding on the car body
Old Jan 5, 2019, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a similar problem, as someone in this thread said, replace the unit and in the pivot point of the unit add a little of general purpose oil like WD-40, sometimes if it is aftermarket or even oem it may be a little sticky, causing floater to keep up even when the tank is low, so at any time is fells and make a good reading, you can make it with the use one too, and see if it fix it.