Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Please help with engine trying to stall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with engine trying to stall

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read and help me diagnose this issue.

The car is a 2003 lancer oz rally with the 2.0 SOHC engine.

The car is having this problem at all gears and mph.

Say you are cruising along at 1/4 throttle and you give it any more pedal the engine starts to stumble, stall and lose all power. When you back off, it regains power and maintains rpm but will go right back in to a stall, upon giving it more gas again. Passing someone is not an option and getting on the freeway is a challenge.

This problem seems to be sporadic.

I'm working on this car for a buddy and when he dropped it off to me is was 75-80 degrees weather. I drove it around for 45 mins and the problem never occurred. I let it sit for a day and drove it again for 20 mins in the morning when the temps were in the high 50's and the problem happened repeatedly the whole time I was driving. I'm not sure if it was a fluke that it didn't happen the first time I drove it or if the temps really had an influence on the issue. For this reason, I feel like its not the fuel pump.

I gave the car back to him for now because he needs it for work tomorrow but I will get it back soon to keep tinkering.

It's not throwing any codes and the check engine light has not come on at all.

I would like to help him save a buck and fix it for him if possible so any suggestions are appreciated.

If you know of a good shop in the S.F. Bay Area, specifically in or around Oakland, I would appreciate a recommendation should I not be able to fix it for him.

Thank you again for taking the time to read and any help is much appreciated!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Roller
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read and help me diagnose this issue.

The car is a 2003 lancer oz rally with the 2.0 SOHC engine.

The car is having this problem at all gears and mph.

Say you are cruising along at 1/4 throttle and you give it any more pedal the engine starts to stumble, stall and lose all power. When you back off, it regains power and maintains rpm but will go right back in to a stall, upon giving it more gas again. Passing someone is not an option and getting on the freeway is a challenge.

This problem seems to be sporadic.

I'm working on this car for a buddy and when he dropped it off to me is was 75-80 degrees weather. I drove it around for 45 mins and the problem never occurred. I let it sit for a day and drove it again for 20 mins in the morning when the temps were in the high 50's and the problem happened repeatedly the whole time I was driving. I'm not sure if it was a fluke that it didn't happen the first time I drove it or if the temps really had an influence on the issue. For this reason, I feel like its not the fuel pump.

I gave the car back to him for now because he needs it for work tomorrow but I will get it back soon to keep tinkering.

It's not throwing any codes and the check engine light has not come on at all.

I would like to help him save a buck and fix it for him if possible so any suggestions are appreciated.

If you know of a good shop in the S.F. Bay Area, specifically in or around Oakland, I would appreciate a recommendation should I not be able to fix it for him.

Thank you again for taking the time to read and any help is much appreciated!
I'm having the same problem but I'm going to change the computer out.. it's the only thing that I haven't changed hope this helps
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen_kinder
I'm having the same problem but I'm going to change the computer out.. it's the only thing that I haven't changed hope this helps
Sounds expensive! :/
Old Jul 24, 2016, 01:01 PM

Do you mind listing some of the things you have done to it so far?

Do you have a thread on here about your issues?

How much does it cost for a new computer and is it as easy as swapping it out?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 01:13 PM

Anyone else have any helpful ideas?

Thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Roller
Do you mind listing some of the things you have done to it so far?

Do you have a thread on here about your issues?

How much does it cost for a new computer and is it as easy as swapping it out?
I do have an open thread. I have yet to replace the computer but iv found a couple at some junk yards but not sure if the numbers match.. I was told the price shouldn't be more than 200 but if you're like me that a lot of money. Pull your glove box off and you'll see a black square box in a metal housing. That's your computer I'll keep you up to date if I get it fixed and what it was to fix it
Old Jul 26, 2016, 05:44 PM

I do have an open thread. I have yet to replace the computer but iv found a couple at some junk yards but not sure if the numbers match.. I was told the price shouldn't be more than 200 but if you're like me that a lot of money. Pull your glove box off and you'll see a black square box in a metal housing. That's your computer I'll keep you up to date if I get it fixed and what it was to fix it
Right on man, I appreciate that! Good luck to you! I hope you get your issues resolved.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
check compression and ignition...if they check good then have a close look at the fuel delivery and emission control systems...
Old Jul 29, 2016, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
check compression and ignition...if they check good then have a close look at the fuel delivery and emission control systems...
Ok, I appreciate the feedback!