Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Custom INtake?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2002, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom INtake?

First of all, let me introduce myself. Im Allan i don't own a lancer but i do have friends that own them and yea i do most of the work on their cars.

but yea one of my specialties are intakes, custom intakes. first of all thru a series of emails with phil at injen, i confirmed that mitsubishi uses the same bolt pattern on the MAS. this meaning that u can use the eclipse MAS adaptor plates. i dunno if you guys knew that or not but yea that was step 1.

the thing about my intakes is that they are low budget, i can probably build a cold air intake for roughly less than 100 dollars, ov course the price will fluctuate depending on the parts u use, type of fittings, type of pipe, the bends on the pipe, the finish and the filter.

step 1 to my intakes is the filter and the adaptor plate. my source for those is procarparts.com its all under the 95-99 eclipse the adaptor plates for the eclipse turbo. as of now, procarparts.com offers 3 different types of filters adaptor plate setups. ov course they aren't reusuable but they can be upgraded at any time.

this one is 26.95. it has a built in adaptor plate on it. its perfectly good for a short ram. the downside to this is the filter is not replaceable, its built as a whole.

the second one is 25.99. its a seperate adaptor and filter. its good for short ram and cold air setups. has a 114mm flange on the adaptor. you can easily swap this with a k&n or something really easily. nice big filter, means its gonna stay cleaner longer

the third one is 22.95. again this has a seperate adaptor and filter. good for short and cold air setups. just like the other one, you can swap to a better filter at any time. the reason i like this one the best is because of the adaptor plate. as you can see, its not oversized like the second one. which makes it easier to find fittings for these.

all 3 of these would be a good start for an intake just remove the stock airbox and bolt this up to the MAS

the piping i choose for my intakes is aluminized steel in other words exhaust pipe. its readily available. i usually get mine at jc whitney. yes it does weigh more than alluminum but its tendsto be hard to find aluminum in diefferent bends and such for cheap.

as for fittings. for the budget intakes, i will start with rubber plumbing fittings. they use them for pvc. pipe it runs like 2 3 dollars a fitting. the rubber will stand up to the heat. its a lil bit ugly won't last as long as silicon but its easy to find and its cheap. uhm for the higher end intakes, i'll use silicon fittings, you can easily get soem from injen aem or whatever and they also use this for intercooler pipes. another option for piping.o yea another tip if you are getting the pvc rubber plumbing fittings. lets say you need one to fit a 2.5 inch pipe, then yea because of the sidewall of the pvc pipe you will get a fitting that is for 2 inch pipe and etc. just minus .5 from your pipe to get the fitting size

for that little nipple on the intake pipe for the breather uhm some just leave that out and install a breather filter but most likely you will fail inspection that way. so yea i jsut drill a hole, pop in a grommet and use come plastic fuel line or something of that sort for the lil nipple. on a good day i might use silicon to secure the hose but thats optional.

so yea thats pretty much the basics to building an intake.

i'll start off with a simple short ram. uhm justl ike the injen, start off with a 90 degree bend fitting (local plumbing supply store has that for pvc pipe ans ish) and yea pop that on the tb. then get your exhaust pipe put that on. get the MAS pop the filter on, pop the fitting on the otehr side and trim the pipe to fit. and thats pretty much how u have it. if you are sticking with a short ram, i suggest u keep that stock funnel and tube to kinda help divert some air to the filter. for a cold air setup, just remove the filter from the adaptor plate, figure out some piping to get it to a colder place, slap on a fittnig to hold things in and then put the filter on the other end. just that simple.

as for finish u can do it anyway u want. but yea i suggest getting some high temp engine enamel and painting the inside and out. not only to prevent rust but since the paint contains ceramic, its a good insulator also.

i'll get more details in a couple days. need to get the lancer into the garage for a couple of measurements. mainly the tb and the back of the MAS
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info.

Link
Old Sep 3, 2002, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

yea dude, nice. how'd i miss this thread?