Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Powdercoating intercooler piping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powdercoating intercooler piping

What is the process of powdercaoting piping? What are the correct materials and wehre can i get them? Or is this something i should get done for me? How much do teh materials cost?
Old Sep 14, 2004, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

powdercoat or thermal wrap? im sorry i just never heard of powdercoating the i/c piping unless its for looks wich would be cool i guess
Old Sep 14, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

powder coat. its not just for looks, it decreases thermal transfer.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

you learn somethin new every day thats why i come hear
does it dissepate/reduce thermal transfer better than the wrap?? i ask because i see people always wrap there manifolds ,dp's ,etc. never seen it powdercoated before ,thanks for the info
Old Sep 14, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

truely, i dotn know which is more effective, but i would assume the thermal wrap bc my turbo kits down and up pipe are thermal wrapped while the other pipes with cooler air are powder coated, but my logic could be off.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Powder coating is only for looks. It also helps prevent the piping from corroding. It may help with heat, but I highly doubt it. As far as doing it yourself, not a chance. The process includes prepping the piece, spraying it with a powder in a clean room, then baking it at high temperatures to melt the powder. It comes out beautiful, but it isn't something any person can do.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

If its ceramic powder coated it will reduce temperatures, regular PC won't do anything but shine real nice.

There are home kits (Eastwood has em), but the cost is pretty high (@$400 plus materials), plus you have to have an oven out in your shop to bake the PC at @400 degrees. You can't use the oven in your house.

Long story short, take it to a shop. It will probably cost ya around $100.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Ok for you guys that have no idea what you are talking about here it is.

1. Most of the time powdercoating is performed for looks, but in this case you may want to protect the surface of the material that you are coating. If you are using steel piping for your pipes you definitely want to get them powdder coated to prevent them from rusting and depositing this material in your engine.

2. There is another type of coating used to reduce temperatures, "Ceramic Coating"; This would protect the material and also reduce the heat transfer and help the metal from becomming heat soaked.

3. Most of the materials used to so this would cost alot more than just having a profesisonal do this for you. They spray the coating on and then bake it at a high temp.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

ok well ive only been repeating what ive read and heard. i guess rrm needs to stop telling ppl that then.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

I wasnt refering to what you said or any of your posts......lol

I was just venting, it seams that people anwser other questions on this board without having any real info to back it up. and no experience on the subject. They just jump on the band wagon and say somethings like Ricey, only for looks, no performance incfrease......blah blah blah, and they have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

Thermal wrapping the outside of your pipes would also reduce the heat transfer and it would be cheaper than powdercoating or ceramic coating your pipes.

Keep in mind that if you wrap your pipes the inside is still susceptible to rusting etc if you use steel pipes. The best bet would be to get some aluminum pipes or just ceramic coat the pipes for the best efficiency and longevity.

Im sure that powder coating will reduce the theram transfer to the metal but just in a reduced capacity compared to the ceramic cotaing. Both would provide you with the ability of protecting the serface of the pipes from the elements.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

post a pic when you get it done!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Centrylancer
post a pic when you get it done!
i will, im just getting the IC pipes from rrm that they powdercoat themselves. hopefully they dont chage too much more for black, bc thats what id want.