Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

How to remove entire dash? Need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove entire dash? Need help ASAP

Ok, long story short I wanted to finish painting my entire dash and possible upholster the top of the dash in some kind of fabric or paint it black.

Problem is I cant get the dash out. I've taken out all the smaller pieces (glove box, radio surround, strip that holds the clock and AC vents, gauge cluster. )The entire dash it totatlly stripped but I cant get the top piece to seperate from the rest of it to take it out.

Anyone that taken out the entire dash before, was it all pop tabs or is there a really well hidden screw or bolt that I might have missed. As far as I can tell I got everything that could be holding it in.

Is the air bag actually bolted to the top portion of the dash or does it just sit below it?

Please help because my car is totally ripped apart right now
Old Jun 23, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

The top of the dash is actually bolted from underneath. There is a lota' hidden screws and bolts, and some are hard to reach!

The airbag is actually bolted to the top of the dash as well, so DON'T even try to take it off! But make sure you disconnect the airbag wire (you can see it when u take off the glove box!

I did this about a year ago, so i don't really remember were each and every bolt/screw is, but i do have the thread that i posted when i was doing doing the same you did, it's https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=dash+project, i hope it helps you out!

REMEMBER: in order to get the top of the dash off, you have to take out ur ENTIRE dash to get at the top piece!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

thanks, i managed to pull the top piece loose but its still anchored down by the airbag. Thanks for the heads up cause I was just gonna keep pullin on it.

The top of the dash is connected by screws or by clips?
Old Jun 23, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

By screws, i'm pretty sure. i don't think i remember there being any clips when taking of the top dash piece
Old Jun 23, 2005, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've got a couple pictures of the full dash assembly and how it is removed/reinstalled...scanner is broken, im taking a ride to my girl's house to use her scanner. i'll get you pics soon.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

i hope these help.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove entire dash? Need help ASAP-img004.jpg   How to remove entire dash? Need help ASAP-img005.jpg   How to remove entire dash? Need help ASAP-img006.jpg  
Old Jun 23, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

oh yeah i forgot there is a huge list of precautions when tampering with the SRS module on the passenger side of the vehicle...just be super careful and don't knock anything around to much...make sure to disconect your battery for atleast 20 minutes (pump the brakes once its off and it'll drain the stored charge quicker) and check carefully for sensors to unplug prior to taking out the dash...good luck.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, i wish i woulda' had those handy papers when i was doing mine! Haha, yeah that pretty much lays it out for ya!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

wow, thanks guys

That info was amazingly helpful. I got the dash out and painted it. Looks a lot better, now the whole interior will one color.

Comatose, where'd you get those pics from, do you have a service manual or something?

Daners, you dash looks awsome. Where'd you get the fabric from. I'd love to do something similiar to yours but with a burgundy colored suede (which will also require me to rip the whole dash out again but oh well)
-I have a question though about putting fabric on the top portion of the dash, wont it block the air bag from deploying or did you put preporations in the fabric so the airbag could rip through should it be deployed?
Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

i've been borrowing my buddy's service manual...liquidlancer, if you remember him...if you need any other printout's i'll send em to you just PM me...good luck with that dash!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 09:47 PM

02 Lancer LS

Originally Posted by comatose721
i've been borrowing my buddy's service manual...liquidlancer, if you remember him...if you need any other printout's i'll send em to you just PM me...good luck with that dash!
I'm doing the same thing you helped with here do you still have those printouts and will they work for a 2002 Mitsubishi lancer ls or do you have access to those documents as well?