Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Oil Change information/discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark is right on here... That is exactly what I use on the G/F's Sons Lancer...

The one I have has a Nylon web and a 3/4" square steel tube that the web wraps around... Shouldn't be more an about $6.00 at the auto parts... I sell them for $3.90

Doc
Old Apr 30, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks mark. i coulda swore i saw that the strap-type is a no-go because there was little to no room for the strap-type. But if you both use it then i don't see why i should try any different. Thanks Guys.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Don't get one of those with the handle on it... "Useless as teats on a Bull"

I am sure he is talking about the same one I am.... The strap wraps around the steel post and tightens against the filter.. the post would be parallel to the filter.. You have to use like a 3/4 or 7/8 wrench on it....

Doc
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the help doc.
(lol i almost felt like Marty Mcfly saying that^)

just to be clear is THIS what you're talking about?

i dont quite understand the concept that by wrapping a strap around it, you're able to loosen it.

im sure it's pretty self-explanatory but this is my first time changing it. Appreciate the reply's too by the way. Thanks for that
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolve247
thanks for the help doc.
(lol i almost felt like Marty Mcfly saying that^)

just to be clear is THIS what you're talking about?

i dont quite understand the concept that by wrapping a strap around it, you're able to loosen it.

im sure it's pretty self-explanatory but this is my first time changing it. Appreciate the reply's too by the way. Thanks for that

Pretty much the same thing.... if you look at the pic, the Nylon web wraps around the steel tube as you go to turn off the filter....

Doc
Old May 1, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

"Ay thanks guy"-

I look forward to doing this. These strap-things seem universal so hopefully this all goes smooth. Thanks again.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 07:38 PM

I just waned to make a note that I compared the wal-mart brand oil filter to the mobil 1 filter and they appear exactly the same right down to the numbers printed on top of the canister! I know this is not always the case, but it appears to be the case with our filters. The flow-passages and the o-ring all look identical. They're only like 3 bucks too!

What size washer do I need to replace on the plug?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 07:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

this site to me seems like a non-biased review of regular filters you see at stores....
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
Old Oct 31, 2008, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TruckFreak69
I just waned to make a note that I compared the wal-mart brand oil filter to the mobil 1 filter and they appear exactly the same right down to the numbers printed on top of the canister! I know this is not always the case, but it appears to be the case with our filters. The flow-passages and the o-ring all look identical. They're only like 3 bucks too!

What size washer do I need to replace on the plug?
These filters may be made by the same company, but chances are that the internal construction may be different, especially the media. Over 75 different media types alone are available to filter manufacturers much less different internal parts which may appear the same but made from different quality materials.

Hastings makes some great filters, some up near the $10.00 mark but they also make some $1.75 quick lube filters... They are not the same..

Doc
Old Oct 31, 2008, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
this site to me seems like a non-biased review of regular filters you see at stores....
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Although construction details, which is all that site is, can shed some light, bear in mind that it is outdated, at least 4-5 years, and some of the filters in that study have been changed.

Pleat count means nothing and even as he says, he has removed efficiency tests as he has no way to test them.

I like to take a look at construction pluse last efficiency. Right now, there is not a filter that is either built better or filters better than the AMSOIL EA Series whic is conservatively rated at 15 Micron.

The last tests I saw rated the eficiency of the Mobil 1 slightly better than the WIX but some of the construction of the Mobil filter is cheap such as the pressure relief spring. The Mobil uses a stamped steel spring which can be inaccurate, where the WIX uses a real Spring and a heavier can.

The heavier can will bring a grin to anyone who has crushed a filter trying to take it off.

Oil is the Lifeblood of your engine, the Filter is the Kidney that keeps that Blood Clean..

Doc
Old Dec 21, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

what size is the "G" cap wrench?
Old Mar 15, 2009, 02:00 PM

awesome info.. I'll b doing my wifes oil change pretty soon. Has ne one used Royal Purple on their GTS???
Old Mar 15, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChitownGTS
awesome info.. I'll b doing my wifes oil change pretty soon. Has ne one used Royal Purple on their GTS???
Royal Purple is Garbage If money is not a issue, always go with AMSOIL, as the OIL DOC will back me up on! If you are looking for still another great synthetic but not so expensive then look at Mobil 1 5000, which can be bought at Walmart for about $30 for the gallon size which is just enough for a full oil change. I try and always go synthetic in anything I change oil in; for a basic oil, Quaker State is decent. Everybody has their own opinion and disagreements on oil. But I know for a fact from testing, that AMSOIL is #1 across the board. Just hard to get when you are in BFE and are low a qt. at the Mom and Pop gas station.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 02:29 PM

Looking at my receipts it looks like my dealer puts 5w10 in my car instead ofd 5w20. Is this a big deal? If so, why? Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by solsonic
Thanks for the info!

Has anyone used the K&N HP-1010 filter before? I just noticed that its compatible with our 08's. Looks pretty niffty with the nut at the top!

I use the KN HP-1010 on my 09 GTS. It works great and they recommend replacing every 10K miles or so. I replace mine every 2 or three oil changes, but every time i change the oil I pull it off and drain it as best i can, then put it back on. Also comes in handy on the track too. the nut allows you to tighten it if needed. Believe it or not oil filters have been known to come loose during autocross events.

Quick Reply: Oil Change information/discussion