Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Oil Change information/discussion

Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dustyp34
Same here. I couldnt even begin to tell you what a torque wrench looks like I never used one although Im from the country(Southeast Louisiana) and we judge everything by feel.

I'm with you guy's 22 to 26 ft-lbs is not that much. I would say using a rachet and tightening it should be fine. If you check your fluid and inspect your oil pan regularly, you should detect any leaks. As far as the gasket, I am on the fence. I don't think helps or hurts.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 07:19 AM

i think in order for you to switch to synthetic oil, you need to drain out the old oil and change the oil filter then switch it to the synthetic oil, the best oil i think is the eneos 05-w20, thats what im using and it seriously does better than those american oils
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:36 AM

need help. I dont have user manual.
So how much oil do we put per oil change for the 2009 GTS 2.4l engine???
Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put in about 4.75 qts to fill up.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:38 PM

The Mitsubishi Car website said 4.5 qt..... But I added 4.3... it was not full at all, not even near full. what the heck?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:52 PM

I know my 2.0 liter lancer takes 4.3 liters and since yours is the GTS I'm guessing it's the 2.4 liter which will take even more oil. Also double check the numbers you're reading on the website are in quarts or liters because that will also make a difference. If your oil is reading minimum on the dipstick you'll probably have to add about another half a litre.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:13 AM

anyone know if the scheduled service of 30k mi. for a 08 gts can be done at home?
i called my local mitsu dealer... and they charge $248 wth
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

^lol - anything can be done at home. For the Evo IX they want somewhere between $600 and $800, depending on the dealer.

Everything for 30k is easy though. Mostly fluids and maybe a belt or 2 (not timing!).

BTW - for those that don't know what a torque wrench is, it is usually a long socket-style ratcheting wrench (only tightens of course). There is an adjuster in the middle so you can set the ft-lbs, in-lbs, newton-meter, etc. When you reach the specified amount it will "click" letting you know you're there.

There are older styles that literally have an analog gauge where you will see the torque you are cranking. Those can be pretty inaccurate though.

22 - 26ft-lbs is tightening a nut to the point where resistance pretty much stops normal cranking, then one small "push" and you're there. You should be able to "pop" the nut back from that torque setting with little effort so if you can't turnaround and do that, you went too far.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

For those of you not seeing a gasket/washer on the drain plug, is it possible you're losing them in the oil that releases? I thought my rear diff drain plug didn't have one as it looked like there was a thin one built onto the plug. I went to dump my oil and found the little som' batch!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jakartatomcat
anyone know if the scheduled service of 30k mi. for a 08 gts can be done at home?
i called my local mitsu dealer... and they charge $248 wth
I did a nearly-complete write-up on the topic. Here's a link to the thread (or search my username):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...e-service.html

The only thing I did not do at the time was check the oil level in the manual transmission. This requires a very large socket, and I did not have the right size at the time. I forget what the measurement is, but once you get the right size socket it's pretty easy. One of the follow-ups to my 30K post has a link.

By the way, my '08 ES should be all the same here as your '08 GTS. Unless you have an automatic transmission.

I think you'll find doing the 30K yourself is easy, it saves you some $$$, and you know exactly what was done.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 08:59 PM

yep mine is a manual trans also. thanks for the guide. the pics are a great help, im taking my laptop under the car with me
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:12 AM
SMP

I was under the impression that you could not change your own oil if you wanted to keep your warranty. How would you prove that the work was done in the event that something happened?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:39 AM

i did an oil change today. just make sure you keep the reciepts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

DIY voids warranty coverage? I don't think so . . .

Originally Posted by SMP
I was under the impression that you could not change your own oil if you wanted to keep your warranty. How would you prove that the work was done in the event that something happened?
They may exist, but I'm not aware of any car company that REQUIRES maintenance performed by a dealer to keep warranty coverage. I don't know if there's a law against it, but I've never seen such a requirement.

For grins I just went through the Warranty and Maintenance Manual that came with my 2008 Lancer ES. Unless I missed it, there is no language that comes close to stating a requirement for dealer service (or any exclusion of DIY) to maintain the warranty. The closest thing I saw is language on p. 34 that says, "Your Mitsubishi Motors Dealership is in the best position to provide proper maintenance service . . ." If anything, this is a plea to bring your car to for service. I think there is thus an implication that you might take your car somewhere else or DIY.

On page 9 I see the following: "Receipts covering the performance of maintenance services should be retained in the event questions arise concerning maintenance. These receipts should be transferred to each subsequent owner of this vehicle. MMNA reserves the right to deny warranty coverage if the vehicle has not been properly maintained. However, denial will not be based solely on the absence of maintenance records."

Notice it does NOT say, "Warrantly coverage WILL be UPHELD based solely on the PRESENCE of maintenance records." However, it's a fairly clear implication that if you do your work somewhere other than , you have a reasonable expectation of keeping warranty coverage if you document the service.

There are no guarantees, but the implication is that if you bring a car with a blown engine (etc.) to and expect warranty service, they may try to deny coverage if they can make a case that you did not properly maintain the car. If you have been bringing your car to a dealer religiously for service, and have the records to prove it, then has no leg to stand on in denying your claim. If you have been doing the maintenance yourself, then you should have documentation of this to back your position.

Possible scenario #1: Your motor blows at 50K miles and you bring your car in to have it fixed under warranty. The dealer says it appears that your oil is too old/not the proper grade, and they won't cover you. You have no evidence to support the contention that you have been maintaining your car properly. You're likely screwed.

Possible scenario #2: Your motor blows at 50K miles and you bring your car in to have it fixed under warranty. The dealer says it appears that your oil is too old/not the proper grade, and they won't cover you. You show them your Warranty and Maintenance Manual with receipts stapled in place for each service, dates, boxes checked, etc. I guess some dealers might protest, but I think most will cover you. If the dealer is a dick about it, be aggressive, threaten legal action, communication with MMNA, etc. If you have the documentation, then I think the law is on your side (but I'm not an expert on the law).

Consider this as well, what if you were taking your car to a Jiffy Lube or independent mechanic for regular maintenance. Assuming you kept records, do you expect would honor that? I think they would. Think of how many soccer moms and *****-less men use Jiffy Lube. (Just kidding about that *****-less thing, but I couldn't help it) I don't think or any other car maker is denying them warranty coverage for using Jiffy Lube. Well, how are receipts from Jiffy Lube any better proof of maintenance than receipts for 5W-20 Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart? Does a receipt from Jiffy Lube prove that the tech put in the proper amount and grade of oil? Who is to say the tech didn't drive your car into the service bay, eat his lunch, then pull it back out and hand you the keys?

So, I guess my point there is that I don't think could argue against DIY work any more than they could argue against work done by Jiffy Lube or any other non-mitsu mechanic--assuming records are in order.

I may (note, MAY) bring my car to a dealer for the 60K service. Why??? Well, at that point I may just want another set of eyes taking a look at things. I think I know what I'm doing when I look at CV boots, suspension components, etc., but I'll admit that a trained mechanic might see something that I missed. If I were to have a problem further on down the road (literally), then I would at least have one data point where the dealer gave the car a seal of approval. For example, if I have a problem at 73K the dealer can't say the car has been neglected for 73K miles and it's all my fault. That being said, I don't think I could stand having a dealer charge me hundreds of dollars to install spark plugs, change oil/filter, and replace a couple of air filters. Maybe I would find out what would charge if I did all the installing/replacing myself and just wanted them to do what would basically amount to a safety inspection.

Anyway, I just did the 37,500 maintenance on 10/24/09, and it's all documented on page 38 of my service manual, along with a receipt from Wal-Mart showing $22 for Mobil 1 5W20 and $4.24 for an oil filter. No Jiffy Lube or anyone else will do an oil change with synthetic for $27.82 (tax), and it takes me less time to DIY (even with a tire rotation) than it would for me to drive into a Jiffy Lube and wait for them to do the work.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

^not too sure about american law, but they cant void your warrenty if they dont do the servicing, as long as it actually has been done and documented you will be fine

what they do offer here tho is if you do do all your services with mitsubishi they will extend your warrenty from 3yr/Xkilometers, to 5/10year and extend the kilometeres covered

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change information/discussion